Tech 2 questions

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Hi y'all

My name is Chris, i live in Germany and i own a 2004 TB with Vortec 4200 engine.

Facing problems with a P0016 code after a routine crank- and camshaft sensor change i dug into The tech2 programming topic and the confusion is not ending.
Since I do not know what I need to program and the devices are far away from cheap i swapped back to the old sensors and the code is gone for the time being.

But for the future practice i would really like to know what to do and get the equipment.
Since i also need a replacement bose factory radio and that needs programming as well.

- So, if I get the tech2 with candi do i really need to purchase the gm sps abo?

- The standalone tech2 device can't do the job?

- If i install tech2win or tis2web (whatever they call it) on my laptop is this also true with sps?

- And in the last example when using a laptop: do i still need to get the tech2 device?

- Isn't there another way/device that could do it?

Jesus, this is complicated!
Sorry for all these questions!
Your help is highly appreciated!!!

Thank you
Chris

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation!
I'll try and answer your questions the best that I can.

- So, if I get the tech2 with candi do i really need to purchase the gm sps abo?
Not sure exactly what you mean with "abo". For your truck, the Tech 2 should come with the Tis2000 program which will allow you to program the radio.

- The standalone tech2 device can't do the job?
Depends on what you need it to do. If doing diagnostics and some special functions, it does work by itself. If programming a module or doing something requiring security access, like reprogramming VATS, then you will need the Tis2000 program on a laptop.

- If i install tech2win or tis2web (whatever they call it) on my laptop is this also true with sps?
I never used those programs. There is an SPS in Tis2000.

- And in the last example when using a laptop: do i still need to get the tech2 device?
When doing some of the ones where Tis2000 and SPS is required, yes. The Tech 2 makes the connection between the vehicle and the laptop.

- Isn't there another way/device that could do it?
Yes, there is the GM MDI however, it cannot work on its own, always needing a laptop and the software it uses.
GM's "New and Improved" Scan Tool- GDS2
And there are other aftermarket tools from the like of Snap-On and Autel but cost quite a bit more and may also require subscriptions for programming modules.

The problem that happened when you replaced the crank sensor is that you needed to do a CASE relearn (Crankshaft Angle Sensor Error) with a Tech 2. Why did you replace the sensors in the first place?

Personally, I find the Tech 2 more versatile since it can be used by itself most of the time and use a laptop with it only when really needed. The one caveat is that you cannot program any modules beyond 2008 without buying an online SPS subscription but can still do diagnostic work. And it will not work at all for any vehicle newer than 2013, where an MDI is required.

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Hello Mooseman.
Thank you for the fast and long response!!!

"Abo" means shorthand for Abonnement=Subscription. Sorry for that, its my rally english 😂

So tech2 with tis2000 can do the radio? To be precise: tech2 with candi, tis2000 installed on laptop and no sps programming subscription required to program the Radio?
And will this configuration also do the case relearn?

The reason why i changed the crank and cam Position sensors is that it threw a code P0016 at me. Changed the sensors and code remained. Natural, because i did no relearn.
Then i found the two wires to the crank sensor corroded and insulation deteriorated. After repair (which was a real pain to do😜) i swapped back to the old sensors since i had a positive fix with the wires now. That cleared the code.

Bottom line is from my understanding now for the Radio and the case relearn the only thing i need is the standalone tech2 with the candi and no laptop or SPS-subscription required, correct?

I cannot say how valuable your help is for me!
Thank you so much!
Great Forum here!

Chris

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So tech2 with tis2000 can do the radio? To be precise: tech2 with candi, tis2000 installed on laptop and no sps programming subscription required to program the Radio?
And will this configuration also do the case relearn?
Yes on all counts. You will be able to do anything a dealer can do on this vehicle.

Just one warning, do not click on the update button in Tis2000. That was for dealers to update their Tech 2 via the Internet. Your Tis2000 will be hacked to not connect to the Internet and will retrograde your Tech 2 to 2008, which was the last year Tis2000 was updated. Your Tech 2 will have the last update on it, which was in 2013.

Another advantage for you in Europe with a Tech 2 is that it can be used with Saab, Opel, Suzuki, Isuzu and Holden vehicles to help out others. Just need to buy the appropriate card.

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Thank you, sir!

Also good warning for the update button.
Understood and so valuable....

Yes, the card system is quite straightforward although i fear i can count those cars throughout europe with my ten fingers.
Not so for the Trailblazers those were imported about 1million times to germany.
You see them quite frequently and anytime two of those meet they will salute. I love it.
Best car I ever had and I will keep it and therefore i stepped into this discussion here.

Those Tech2 China-Clones are they recommended?
Do they function as should?

Chris

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have one and it works fine. Most out there are the clones and they work well for the most part. It does have one flaw where the internal voltage regulator would make the Tech 2 reboot when the vehicle starter is engaged. That is only of a concern for certain tests where this is required and can be worked around by using a separate power supply. I think there were some years ago that failed quickly but haven't heard of failures lately.

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
I have one and it works fine. Most out there are the clones and they work well for the most part. It does have one flaw where the internal voltage regulator would make the Tech 2 reboot when the vehicle starter is engaged. That is only of a concern for certain tests where this is required and can be worked around by using a separate power supply. I think there were some years ago that failed quickly but haven't heard of failures lately.
Ok i consider to go for a clone then.
A while ago a contacted the vxdiag support asking the same questions and they replied that if i would want to do programming i would definitely need an SPS subscription.
I am wondering now if the vxdiag would do a radio and case relearn without SPS account!?
Do you know anything about those?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it would however, I think we had another member (@Blckshdw ?) who got one and didn't work at all. He wound up returning it. If you do a search for vxdiag on the site, it should yield some results.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah I spent a weekend trying to get mine to work. Had 2 laptops running Windows 7 and Windows 10, 64 bit. Both systems recognized the device, and the VXDiag software seemed to do what it was supposed to. But the Tech2Win wasn't working, and couldn't connect on either system.

Pioneer200569

Jan 3, 2021
Kissimmee Fl.
Hi new to the form just wondering if anybody has the tis2web For the GM American domestic market for The likes GMC Buick Chevy Saturn Pontiac etc. etc. and for Saab and if anybody knows how to install it on windows 10 that also be great thank you and I really do appreciate any help I can get

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

This Video should be very helpful... A decent "How-To with Learning as You Go" Tech2Win Software Download from ACDelco and its installation on a Windows 10 Lap-Top AND the Hook Up to the DLC Port inside a GM Truck...but it would behave the same in any GM Vehicle supported within the ACDelco TDS System:

After checking around for anything 'seriously redundant' on the Tech2 Sub-Forum... If you have any specific New Experiences with using your Tech2 and want to share them, I'm one among many other Members who are always looking for news things to learn about the Tech 2. :>)

Last edited:

Pioneer200569

Jan 3, 2021
Kissimmee Fl.
I know how to install it I had to Saab tis2web Well I need a GM North American market I tried with the one I have and for some reason it doesn’t want to install the North American market but I have to do the Saab part first so if anybody has the Gm North America market that would be greatly appreciated or if somebody can tell me how to install the GM North America market with the Saab tis2web that’ll be super great.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online