TECH 2 Clone fails to boot

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Went to add a new key fob to my wife's 2006 Equinox today. Connected up and got only to the 'initializing' boot screen. Tried it again on the Trailblazer with the same results. Also works the same with the supplied 12v adapter. I'm trying to imagine what it could be. Has power....could it have corrupted it's PCMIA card software? Without the card it boots to the same point. Has it bricked?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wonder if it could be the power regulator thingy that's regularly replaced? I'm no expert though.

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Wonder if it could be the power regulator thingy that's regularly replaced? I'm no expert though.

Even if it has power, doesn't mean it's the right power or enough power to boot. My only chance to get this working is to shotgun the only two fixes I can do. But a new regulator and a new flash card.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I would guess the power regulator if it's only getting to the initializing screen. Wouldn't be bad to have a spare card though. Just a guess, I would still buy both though.

Are you turning the Tech2 on with the serial cable attached to the Tech2?
I asked because I had an issue where the serial cable was squeezing against the card lock tab and it would not turn on until I had loosened the serial cable away from that tab.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@cornchip ... Open the Upper Flip Cover of the Tech 2 Scanner and use the Push Button Release to remove the PCMCIA Card. Then Spray some CRC Electric Solvent down into the Male Pin Set on the Logic Board down inside.

Follow this up by Removing the VCI Connector from the Bottom of the Scanner and use the same CRC Spray and once dry... Re-Insert the PCMCIA Card in the Top and Re-Insert the VCI Unit from the bottom of the Unit and carefully latch it closed. Remember that if you 'trimmed' the VCI DLC Cable due to any interference ...that it may have become loosened up over time.

Please Check Out the Video and the text dialogue at the very bottom of Post #17 of the below Link...and again at Post #19 for the information on where to obtain DC-to-DC Converter Component necessary for this Repair:

Last edited:

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Parts ordered...fingers crossed. In the mean time I'm going to see if I can get my old Windows XP laptop to read the PCMCIA card. It recognizes it, but I get the feeling that Microsoft doesn't have drivers online anymore. A question, does the TECH 2 boot without a flashcard? Or is the operating system on the unit itself?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Please do NOT attempt to do that... The PCMCIA Cards used in Modern Laptop and Desktop Computers use an ATA Format set to allow 3-5 VDC to pass through them. The GM Tech 2 PCMCIA Cards are of the LINEAR RAM Design ( Erase before Re-Write) and so they use a Very, Very Low Voltage. While they WILL plug into the standard PCMCIA Card Interface and get recognized... the excessive ATA Voltage will DAMAGE the Card.

The Tech 2 is a Full Blown, Complete Hand Held Computer in and of itself, with its own BIOS and Firmware built into the Logic-MOBO. It will Boot Up and using the Loop-Back Connector, alert the User that there are no PCMCIA Cards in Slots A & B.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
On my Vetronix Tech2, the previous owner (GM mech) put a small piece of corrugated cardboard between the PCMCIA card and the housing slot (to ensure good connection with the contact points, no doubt.)

If you would like a pic of this, let me know. I can post it later today.

Bottom line is that between the CRC spray mentioned above, and the cardboard, it appears that the contact points between card / device are known to be a bit flaky. I think the cardboard is a good idea, b/c it prevents movement (which further deteriorates the contact points).

I remember the old 8-bit NES game consoles...after awhile, from swapping games in / out of the slot, you couldn't get the deck to recognize / load certain games (and the ones I wanted to play most were the ones most affected, naturally).

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online