TBI454 and 4L80 into a Trailblazer?

AzDon

Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Lake Havasu, AZ
I have an opportunity to buy a pretty clean Trailblazer 2WD that needs trans work....I've got a 95 donor Suburban with a 454/4L80 that I would want to install in this Trailblazer....
My wifes car is a Trailblazer, so I'm aware of how "electronic" these vehicles are and that the whole engine control setup for the 4.2 is not similar in any way to the TBI 454.....
Is it even possible to put 90s era engines in these cars and get all of the controls and instruments to work properly?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I dont think a Big Block is going to fit into the space. The 5.3/6.0 barely clears the passenger strut tower. Finding headers to clear the firewall, frame rail, starter placement... Just a lot of unknowns.

I would think you have a better chance of getting a later model 8.1/8100 to fit into it. But whether or not it clears that strut tower, I dont know, and I sincerely doubt.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have to agree with @TollKeeper . And the weight will also be a major factor where there is no spring available that would be able to keep all that weight up unless you want a low rider that wallows around. And everything would need to be fabricated even if it would fit. Cooling would also need to be addressed as the stock radiator is barely adequate, which is why GM stayed with a mechanical fan clutch to compensate, even on the LS version.

I don't know how the BCM will react to not having a PCM to talk to. It might not care or might throw fits. The cluster WILL NOT work at all so you'd need a custom cluster. If you want A/C, good luck since that's also all electronically controlled.

You would have a much easier time to swap in an LS engine since most parts are available but is also in itself a major undertaking. Very few have actually done it. I remember one had resorted to swapping the frame and body. You pretty much need a donor vehicle to be able to do it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online