NEED HELP Tb SS transmission replacement.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Hey guys along with all the other crap I got going on my brother-in-law calls me this morning that his tranny went out on him last night. He had it towed to his house and now we are on the hunt for a rebuilt tranny.

I'll be doing the replacement myself along with him and his brother. I just need as much info before I can dig into this and what else I might need to upgrade/replace while I'm under there.

Any and all info you guys can come up with to help would be much appreciated.

Truck info: 2008 Chevy trailblazer SS awd 75000 miles.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Make sure that transfer case has fresh fluid as well...its only 50K intervals for that stuff.

Might see if he wants a better stall in the Torque Converter while its apart. Few bucks, but a nice upgrade

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
An aux trans cooler would be a good idea, and pretty necessary if you play with the stall as those can add a lot of extra heat.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I got a pdf file on the R&R over on tbssowners.com . I'm looking for some pic's and or videos on the how to now.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I got a pdf file on the R&R over on tbssowners.com . I'm looking for some pic's and or videos on the how to now.

FYI - There's a 20 part video on YT called 'Project 4L60e' (10 teardown, 10 rebuild)

I know you have the 4l80, but there are supposed to be many similarities between the two. I watched some of those vids a few times when I was putting in my shift kit; found there were things mentioned there I didn't see anywhere else.

Good luck, and post a thead on the R&R if you get a chance!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If I'm not mistaken, SS have the 4L70E. Might be harder to actually find a rebuilt of these so if you don't rebuild it yourself, you likely have to get yours rebuilt. It would be a good time to get all beefed up parts, shift kit and such.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
4L70E is a 4L60E with some factory upgraded parts. Same guts basically however.

4L80E is a much bigger (and stronger) beast. Can be almost bolt-in for a RWD, but for AWD with that transfer case I'm not sure the options you'd have.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
4L80E is a much bigger (and stronger) beast. Can be almost bolt-in for a RWD, but for AWD with that transfer case I'm not sure the options you'd have.

If the truck was mine I'd do the swap to a 4L80E and make it RWD. It would be alot more work but worth it in the fun factor.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The gearing on the 4l70 is better than the 80 though. 80 starts deeper and ends shallower iirc. But I'm sure that can all be changed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've seen something on a 4L60E to 4L80E swap and it's apparently not that easy. IIRC, wiring and TCM programming is different.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Well after taking it down decided to have the transfer case rebuilt. Sure enough it needed. I also checked thing out in the diffs and the front passenger side disconnect was stripped along with the intermediate shaft. Along with a car rental we are about 4500 in the hole. And the truck is still in pieces. Oh man am I going have a few things to say in the FY thread. 75000 miles smh I never would of thought of all this.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Intermediate shaft stripped?
Ouch, that doesn't happen that often.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Intermediate shaft stripped?
Ouch, that doesn't happen that often.

Yea tell me about it. I've heard about the axle side strip and go to ish but never the inner side of the diconnect. I already ordered the upgrade along with the what from uspowertrain.

On another note does anyone have a part number for the rubber seal from the FRONT drive shaft to the transfer case. It's really been driving me nuts cause I haven't even seen it in any pic's I've looked up in the interwebs.
EDIT

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd be looking at changing it into a 2wd since you have to pull the tranny anyway. Can't be cheap to rebuild the full-time Torsen TC.

A couple of other guys had their shaft strip so it's not unheard of. Not sure if it's a result of the disco failing though.

Edit: Man am I slow! You replied before I finished this reply.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Sound like someone was beating on that thing just a bit! 75K?! Damn!
I'm with Mooseman on this one 2WD it..less weight and drag, WAY cheaper!

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Transmission is already out and at the speed shop. Transfer case cost close to 700 to rebuild and is at the speed shop aswell. Transmission is getting a rebuild aswell but there just tearing into it so I don't have a final price on it.

It's not my truck and my brother-in-law wants to keep it as close to the stock setup as possible. Aside from any improvement parts I don't think he would want to do anything right now. Believe me I've tried.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Sound like someone was beating on that thing just a bit! 75K?! Damn!
I'm with Mooseman on this one 2WD it..less weight and drag, WAY cheaper!

I'd agree - looks to me like the BIL likes to get on it. Have him take a look at the oil pickup relocation kits for the SS - the stocker is in the front of the pan, and with the hole in the pan midships, the engine can suffer from cavitation / oil starvation, especially with people who channel their inner Dale Jr.

Since he's in for over $4K now, and the truck is down, I'd relocate that pickup tube now (and maybe see what things look like w/ the motor at this point)

Last edited:

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
We are pretty much in over our heads with this because of time. He's got to be on the road Friday morning to head to Maryland. We should have everything back together by Wednesday. Fingers crossed and pray for us.
20170805_203903.jpg
20170805_203909.jpg
Here's that funky rubber seal I'm talking about if any one has any idea as to a part # or what it is I should be searching for.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
20170805_210012.jpg
How it sit now after we brought it down some till we get everything we need. We have about 8 jack stands all the way around holding up stuff.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Driveway mechanics. Always fun (not!). And the wife is pissed about destroying ours with oil and stuff.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
We gotta do what we gotta do to save a buck or 2. Nothing has been at all to uncomfortable to do. I'll let you guys know what we brake putting it all back together. So far so good on keeping the cement tire paths clean. Lol.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online