TB SS front caliper compatibility

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Will the SS front calipers work on a non-SS application? Looking to use the iron calipers on my SWB, I also have the LWB brackets and rotors if that matters. Reason I ask is GM has a different part number for the SS brackets over the LWBi

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Someone on here will have an exact answer, I however do know, that you can not do the ext/xl rotor upgrade with 16 inch wheels. Might not answer your question but it's a start.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Yeah..I do have the 17" wheels, just can't find the answer to this one:ugh:...almost seems like a taboo question.....:eyebrowhuh::biggrin:

Dealer doesn't even know.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I would check the part numbers of the steering knuckle. If they are the same, the new calipers will fit just fine.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The caliper could have the same mounting hole locations on the steering knuckle, and still be designed to handle larger rotors. I thought the SS had larger rotors than the EXT even, but never researched it before.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
I've been digging through this since a thread on the 9-7x/SS and handling in another section. The entire 9-7x range and the TBSS have 12.8" front and rear with dual 48mm piston cast iron calipers.

From what I gather, the EXT models had 12.8" while the SWB models had 12". They both used dual 45mm piston aluminum calipers.

What isn't clear to me is whether they put those 12.8" brakes on the SWB 5.3 later on. And I have absolutely no clue about the fitment/mounting.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I think the major difference between the EXT and the SS is the iron caliper vs the aluminum for the non-SS. Knuckle is the same part number and uses the same size rotor, but the bracket number is different. The bracket could mount to the knuckle at the same location but why would the number be different? I think I will take the bracket down to the local parts house and see if the SS caliper mounts up.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Local Autozone had the SS caliper and it just doesn't look like it's going to work....little extra meat taking up the gap. The knuckle and rotor are the same, caliper and caliper bracket are different.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
gmcman said:
Local Autozone had the SS caliper and it just doesn't look like it's going to work....little extra meat taking up the gap. The knuckle and rotor are the same, caliper and caliper bracket are different.
:confused: whats the difference?

edit: oh you got a caliper without a bracket? i thought they came together when you get them at an autoparts store. well the bracket isn't much money

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
jimmyjam said:
:confused: whats the difference?

edit: oh you got a caliper without a bracket? i thought they came together when you get them at an autoparts store. well the bracket isn't much money

I don't know what the difference is between the brackets, they only had the caliper, I have the brackets for the LWB models. The mounting holes are the same distance apart for the caliper, but there is more meat on the caliper housing and was touching the bracket.

Seems the brackets will mount to the knuckle in the same location, just opened up more for the SS caliper.

I will confirm this before I switch brackets though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online