TB radio knob remove/re-install

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
I posted this in the wrong forum last week, got 0 hits, go figure.

Anyhow, as the title says, how do you remove and re-install the big knobs on the radio? Our on/off- volume up/dn knob is worn out where you push it in.

Does anyone have any extra knobs they'd like to sell?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
There's a seller on ebay that has them: riveinc | eBay I bought mine from him.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I just did this the other day and yes, they just pull straight out. The inner button will have a white stalk attached that you'll have carefully separate from the button face to reuse. They are keyed to make sure it only goes back the right way.

Dorman makes these too (rockauto.com) but I have to say they're just a little off in terms of style--text size, layout, etc. No one else would ever notice and it is an improvement over the worn buttons but I was still left a tad underwhelmed.

Now if we could only find a source for all the other buttons!

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Just an FYI:

Dorman P/N 76874 does NOT fit the Bose 6-cd radio. The "tune" button is wrong :hissyfit:

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
I spent a few hours searching around for these knobs, nothing said "buy me" without reservation. Seeing as they come off so easily, I'm gonna head for my local P-N-P and see what's left. Last time I was there, he had 4 TB's, all minus their drivetrain.

:offtopic:DJones- Thanks for the nice GI comment, not many people know about this place.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
jaguarjoe said:
I spent a few hours searching around for these knobs, nothing said "buy me" without reservation. Seeing as they come off so easily, I'm gonna head for my local P-N-P and see what's left. Last time I was there, he had 4 TB's, all minus their drivetrain.

I didn't do my research like I should have but since I was ordering parts anyway and at $5, I gambled. This time I lost.

jaguarjoe said:
:offtopic:DJones- Thanks for the nice GI comment, not many people know about this place.

I grew up in Sterling Heights/Rochester area and still had to google-map Gross Ile :tongue:

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
FWIW-

Spent a few hours in the GM section of Martin's well organized P-N-P looking for knobs. Either the knobs were missing or the whole radio was gone. Either way, a big fat 0 for me:sadcry:

Funny thing was that none of the Pontiacs were touched, every radio was present and all of their knobs too.

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
I stubled upon a "Help!" 76684 knob kit. 3/4 work and look good. The "VOL/PWR" button does not. It is missing the small piece that slides over the switch shaft.
The hunt continues.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online