TB I6 vs TB V8 vs Suburban

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Just as the title says. I am looking at the differences, both good and bad to see if an "upgrade" would be worth it.

Right now, we have a TB LT EXT I6 4x4(is there any other way?)

We did some light camping with family and friends this past summer and I noticed we ran out of space fairly quick. We didn't use a trailer (and I don't really want to unless necessary plus the small fact that we don't own one.) We also have a black lab that doesn't have much room when we have to use the third row, which wasn't uncommon with our friends dog as well going to the dog park.

When just using the 2nd row, there is plenty of room for the dog/s and other stuff we need but I think I am liking the idea more and more of the v8. Plus my dad has been looking at campers which we would most likely have to use the truck for. His s10 pickup only has the bumper hitch.

The other problem is no one site has agreeing information. From Wiki, it does show depending on the year, that the power ratings changed a few times. We have the 03 i6 which says it should be around 275hp/tq, but the 06-09 shoudl be around 291hp, 277tq. The 5.3l is said to be from 270-305hp and 315tq. With that wide variety, this could actually be a decrease in performance as well as mpg. Is there any way to tell which hp engine you are getting?

My questions
Would getting a newer i6 be better with the added power vs the v8?
Is the TB v8 (5.3l) worth the upgrade given the small performance increase and no room gains.
Is the Suburban (5.3l or 6.0l) worth the size upgrade given the small performance increase which is going to needed for the larger truck.
With considering the Suburban, would the 6.0l be a better option with higher hp/tq 300-325hp and 360tq?

The 8.1 offered in the suburban is out, please don't give this as a viable solution. lol My co-worker has one of these and says he loves it for towing, but doesn't care for half his pay check going to fill it up.

For now it looks like our options would be the Trailblazer 2003-2009 (needs to be a lateral move or upgrade) or Suburban 2003-2006 (2007+ models are out do to purchase price. Also, from what I've read, there is no diesel option for the suburbans of the years we are looking.

Thanks,
Outlaw

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Is this your daily driver as well? I think you have to consider the day to day impact also. Even though on paper the I6 and v8 seem close, towing with them is night and day. The 5.3l is a much better towing engine. It also will not be quite as fuel efficient on a daily basis. Is the loss of a few mpg's on a daily driver an issue for you?? The GM full size platforms give you more space and easier towing. Its easier because of the size of the truck, not because it has more power. It also will get even less mpg's than the TB with a v8.

I hope I have pointed out that you need to introduce more data to this equation before it can be answered. Trailer size is a huge factor, as is distance towed in a year. Do you want to sacrifice your mpg for your 3 towings a year?

Also, I have driven all the different years of the I6 and the differences are small. I could tell the difference between the 02 and an 09, but if I drove them in all in order by year I probably wouldn't have been able to tell much. :cool:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Huh, funny! I just did the same soul searching as you are.

I resolved the issue by researching.
I started by asking myself if I could live with the I6. So to answer that, I first modded my wife's EXT I6 by installing the PCM4L tune and a CAI. I honestly tried it for a few weeks, but I just didn't like it. I guess I'm just to conditioned to the low end torque of a v8.
So I went looking for another v8. I settled on the year 2006 5.3l. It's the first year with Displacement on Demand and the last year for the XL version. With DoD my 5.3l gets better fuel economy than my wife's I6. It just does.

I knew that I wanted an XL version, so it was a toss up between the Yukon XL and the Envoy XL.
My dad has a 2006 Yukon Xl with the 5.3l. I asked him to check his door sticker for GVW. It's 7200lbs. The Envoy XL with the 5.3l is 6400lbs. That's an 800lbs difference.
I drive on lengthy road trips every couple of years or so to visit my wife's family in Newfoundland (8000+ kms round trip), so the extra space in a full size would come in handy for sure! But it's hard to argue with the economics of daily life...

In the end, I chose a smaller truck and saved hauling around an extra 800lbs for nothing each and every working day.
I know that when I am ready for my next road trip, I may possibly regret my decision, but I figure I can tow the pop-up camper when that time comes.

In the end it was an easy choice. 2006 5.3l with DoD and the Xl version. I spent over 5 months looking for the right combination of truck. The fact that it came as a Denali was just a bonus.

I hope that my experience will help guide you in your choices.
Good Luck!

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
As for the space issue on road trips... This is what I do....
Hitch mount rack with custom plywood box and rubbermaid totes, strapped to rack. And canvas roof mount cargo bags... all travel items fit in those leaving the back of the truck completely empty for dogs and kids! Makes for a more enjoyable road trip if the entire truck is for humans/dogs not luggage and saftey items....
picture.php

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply. I probably should have written down my thoughts before putting to a post. I know I was missing stuff and it wasn't really well put into words.

The biggest thing comes down to space when having trips in mind since we don't have a trailer and don't plan to buy one any time soon. The kids are getting into camping and we went on 3 trips last year where the truck was packed to the point of not being able to see out the back window. The truck is my wifes DD but she doesn't do much right now. I don't want to say convenience overrules price here, but if the mpg isn't too drastic and pro's outweigh cons', I think it can be justified.

Right now, we avg 14-16mpg. From what i've read, the 5.3l in the TB is about that as well. I assume the higher rated tq would be where the biggest towing differences are noticed. For the 4.2 and the 5.3 TB EXT, the thing that would make it easier would be the larger engine because of that alone? And the difference between the 5.3 TB and 5.3 Suburban is that the Suburban is a larger truck, giving it the towing advantage even with the same engine specs? Sorry, Just trying to make sure I understand.

As for a camper, this is still in the shopping/dream/other stages and isn't really a reality yet. He was looking at 20-28 footers though. I don't think slide-outs were ruled out but not preferred due to the added weight. Other then this possibility, we haven't towed a single thing with our current i6. It just seems to be lacking when loaded down with gear and occupants and I thought it would be beneficial with the v8.

The reason the Suburban was considered over the EXT was because of the cargo space. The EXT has very little cargo space when the third row is up, where as the Suburban still has quite a bit more space. Also, while I was looking to "fix" the issue in the EXT when the rear seats are down (the 5-6" gap), The Suburban doesn't pose this issue, especially if a longer item is being moved and doesn't flex well or shouldn't be left to sag in the middle.

We were also looking to get some of the upgrades that the other TB's and Suburbans offer, like the entertainment package, steering controls and navi. I think either way we would be looking to "upgrade", it's just which to consider.

Hope this helps clear some of that up and hopefully it was better put into words.

*update*
apparently, it took long enough for you to post twice while I dealt with the kids and coming up with my post. We are still a couple months out before making any real decisions. Tax returns and overall cost will make up the rest. the hitch rack isn't a bad idea, wonder if they make them with bike mounts too. Currently our truck doesn't have a rack, so mounting to the roof is out. lol

Oh yeah, we have some work to do on the current truck so it will be to buy a newer/replacement or fix what needs to be done which as of now is tires (all 5) and suspension which isn't cheap + I would like to do an all fluid flush if we keep it. I assume a tranny cooler is in order if we planned to pull any larger trailer like my dad was looking at.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Sounds like you have a good understanding on the engine differences and the trucks. My Tahoe can pull up to 9000lbs with the 5.3l. Where mine really has the advantage is the 6 speed transmission.:raspberry: It makes for an average mpg of around 19. I love to rub that in.:raspberry:

I honestly can't see upgrading to a v8 TB unless you plan to tow. It sounds like you would be happy with more interior space, so the Suburban may be the way to go. That said, take the wife out for a test drive. The Suburban is a monster! My wife doesn't like to drive the Tahoe in town. She drives a Dodge Caravan Cargo every day, and it is almost as long as the Tahoe. She just isn't comfortable with the size. :cool:

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
haha. that extra gear would definitely help on the cruises the hwy can offer. And thanks for the rub in, lol

I don't want to make an excuse to get the v8, but we did plan to get a camper, even if not a 20-28 footer, if it were a pop-up or something of that size, even if hard top, the i6 would be good to go? Might be worth it if I get lucky like 06envoy. My logic behind the same/better mpg is a "stronger engine" moving the same weight as a "weaker engine". The v8 doesn't have to work as hard to move its own weight, where as the i6 needs to give itself a kick in the "hitch" to do something.

The size of the Suburban is a concern too. The interior space is great, but the potential damage she can do to it is greater, lol. She has already dinged a few spots on the EXT. And now we have a parking spot next to a concrete wall...eeek. Ill have to research that too. I want to say the newer Caravans had an AWD option. Aside from almost no Vans having AWD/4x4, we would consider them. I just hate the thought of the wife/kids not having that and getting stuck somewhere because of it. It is the reason we got the EXT in the first place. She had just got on board with a mini van, and I said "no 4x4, no go".

Thanks for the quick replies and help!
Outlaw

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
I have all of the same issues. We do a lot of hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, offroading, and camping. It's also really nice to have a vehicle with room for 7 people. It's impossible to do any of these with the 3rd row of seats up, and even with it down I pack it to the roof. I like to bring everything including the kitchen sink with me wherever I go... Part of me wants a Suburban, part of me loves the TB, and I really want an Avalanche because a truck bed would be nice. So it becomes truck bed vs third row and the bigger question is affordability. I think in the long run I'll end up keeping the TB and buying a half ton when I can afford it.

My theory on the V8: Having a V8 means putting less stress on all of the components while doing all these things. With that in mind, it depends how long you want to keep the vehicle. If you want to keep it a while, then I'd go with the V8.

Also, The rack on the back is a great idea. I have one like that and another for bikes. My bike rack allows you to tow off of it, which is very useful. I don't like the idea of putting things on the roof because of decrease in mpg.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Using a box on the roof would affect your mpg less and give you more space.

--I mean if you do need to use the roof, a plastic cargo box or even softsided bag will affect your mpg less than using a roof mounted basket or having different sized items. The box/bag is likely more aerodynamic and many have shaped fronts now to lessen then drag.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I'm kind of in a similar situation. When we camp, our SWB LS is loaded down and we can't take anyone with us.
It would be nice if the kids could bring friends with them.
We like to drive out on the beach but the kids can't even bring friends there either.
I've thought about a Suburban as well and the price has come down on them a good bit if you buy used.
I've also thought about an EXT TB but haven't ever actually been in one to see if you get much more room.

After being used to the TB, S10, Voyager etc, I imagine parking something as wide as a Suburban at Walmart or worse Toys R US would be a real pain. I had a full size quad cab Ram 1500 one time that was a pain for me to park (because my wife drove it most of the time).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I own a Suburban and fully expect to add another in a few years once we have multiple children. A suburban would not work for what my TB is set up for, but an ext would not be as roomy or functional for a larger family. I used to have my front buckets and the 2nd row available for seating and a twin mattress in the rear with third seat removed quite often for camping with my burban. Also had it set up with a matching extra thrid row facing backwards for taking multiple people to events. I am sure you cant do either in an ext or xl.

Parking my burban was never really bad. You just get used to the turning radius. It affects parking more than size.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Parking my burban was never really bad. You just get used to the turning radius. It affects parking more than size.

:iagree:

The turn radius is much better than most people think it will be. I think a lot of the parking fears are psychological. People see the size of it and just assume it can't turn. I can tell you that it has a smaller turn radius than my Ridgeline had. The Tahoe is as easy or easier to park than my wifes mini van. It is however wider, so you find your self worrying about dings. However, if you leave the running boards on it, not much can hit it. My neighbor has had both the Yukon Denali xl and the long Escalade. He loves them. He has 4 kids, so he needs something massive.:cool:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I was in a similar situation as you recently. I tow a 4000 lb boat and a trailer with snowmobiles. I have one 5.3 liter Rainier (my second one i've owned) and wanted something to seat seven to replace the minivan that is getting on in years. I looked at the Tahoes and Yukons but I couldn't justify the high miles for my price range for a 2007 or newer 'new' body style version. Plus I must have all options on all the used cars I buy. It is what it is and so that drives the price up more. I then turned my attention to the Lambda series and the 2006 XL Envoy Denali. My research told me that to buy an Acadia or even what I consider to be nicer, Saturn Outlook, you need to buy the 2009 on up version. The earlier models didn't have direct injection and it seemed the sunroof leaked badly on the earlier ones plus they had tranny issues. The price for those crossovers then didn't match their capability and their poor mileage. Add to that there are 99 stripped Lambdas to one-all options model and they were off the table. I then focussed on the 2006 Envoy Denali xl. Over the months the only ones that came on the market were high miles and very few had all the options including the 3.73 rear end/nav/dvd/side curtain airbags and I wanted the black interior vs the gray. I sat down with my wife and explained the situation that it seemed we were destined to not get a third row vehicle to replace the minivan. So I decided we are not a car family and we both prefer to sit up higher as in the minivan and the Rainier. At the end of the day the Rainier is so smooth and nice, I decided that I would go with a short wheel base 360. Then my reasoning went something like this. I don't care for the Trailblazer, already have a Rainier so that left me with the Envoy Denali 2006 on up or the Saab 9-7x. (you need to get a 2006 or later360 to get stabilitrac with the exception of the 2005 9-7x). I looked at a bunch of Envoy Denali's short wheel base but again they were always missing at least one and usually two of the must have options. Plus even at $20,000 they were always beat up and rusty. The v8 version of the 9-7 only has two available options being the Nav and the DVD since everything that is an option on the other versions is a standard item. I looked a several of those as well and finally setteled on a low mileage, one owner, all option, 2007 in unprecedinted nice shape compard to the many other 360's I looked at. One owner is really hard to find I discovered even if you buy a 2009. This particular one owner had no family and didn't haul or tow anything so, the dvd was never used and the seats were never sat in. The SAAB has bits and pieces that are more refined than the other 360's as well plus the ride is more like a sporty car than an suv.
As we don't have dogs and only two kids, when we do take a long trip in the summer, we have the boat and you can pack a lot of overflow things into that so we don't have quite the same true need for the extra space. For us the minivan was good as it has so much usable storage even compard to a Suburban but the kids aren't as little anymore so the we can get by without the third row most of the time.

Also the v8 tows heads and shoulders better than the i6. It gives you more of everything you want in an engine, from better sound, no mileage penalty, more torque along the curve, easy to mod even with an off the shelf supercharger unheard of on the i6 cheaply, plus the parts are plentiful.

At the end of the day the 360 platform packs a ton of value and high capability into their vehicles. I simply couldn't match everything the 360 offered for the price.

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
... the [360] ride is more like a sporty car than an suv.
That is another important thing to consider as well....RIDE QUALITY!!!

I was coming from a full size OBS Yukon.
Driving my wife's Trailblazer felt like another world experience. It's smoother, tighter around corners. I instantly fell in love with the ride. The ride is another major tick on my checklist when searching for a new truck.
Even my Dad's 06 Yukon XL feels rougher than my Envoy Xl.

I live on a gravel road in the bush with lots of washboard.
I'm getting too old and brittle to be bounced around like I used to be.
In my full size without buying new shocks every year, I would loose the rear end on washboard.
In the 360, I can hardly feel the ripples in the road. Heh, even today I was reminding myself that the Envoy is amazing over the bumps.

I'm sorry ghoster, you may not want to hear this, but if your getting old and don't want to be bounced around anymore, then consider getting the 360 vs the full-size simply for ride quality.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
06Envoy said:
That is another important thing to consider as well....RIDE QUALITY!!!

I'm sorry ghoster, you may not want to hear this, but if your getting old and don't want to be bounced around anymore, then consider getting the 360 vs the full-size simply for ride quality.

I find the Rainier to have the cushiest ride, feeling fewest bumps at followed closely by the Envoy Denali. Understand though that you feel the most bumps in the 9-7 by design. The sporty car feeling is the sensation of feeling the bumps with a tight-car like suspension vs feeling the bumps in full size truck loosey goosey feeling. All the 360's have a nicer ride than all of the new full sized trucks I've driven. The 9-7 is an outlier with a modified version of the 360 suspension with Euro inspired/non-american car drivability.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
06Envoy said:

Jkust said:
I find the Rainier to have the cushiest ride, feeling fewest bumps at followed closely by the Envoy Denali. Understand though that you feel the most bumps in the 9-7 by design. The sporty car feeling is the sensation of feeling the bumps with a tight-car like suspension vs feeling the bumps in full size truck loosey goosey feeling. All the 360's have a nicer ride than all of the new full sized trucks I've driven. The 9-7 is an outlier with a modified version of the 360 suspension with Euro inspired/non-american car drivability.

I will put my Tahoe LTZ with autoride up against any 360 for comfort. The autoride is changing the damping aspects of the suspension constantly. If I push it hard around a bend the suspension will tighten down, if its cruising down the highway is as smooth as can be. :cool:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Ghoster said:
I will put my Tahoe LTZ with autoride up against any 360 for comfort. The autoride is changing the damping aspects of the suspension constantly. If I push it hard around a bend the suspension will tighten down, if its cruising down the highway is as smooth as can be. :cool:

Yes but I can buy two 360's for the price of the Tahoe LTZ or one 360, invest the money and retire 3 years earlier.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Jkust said:
Yes but I can buy two 360's for the price of the Tahoe LTZ or one 360, invest the money and retire 3 years earlier.

To be fair, the price of a 2011 360 with all the options I have is what? oh... yeah.... ummmm..... :raspberry:

If my math is right... :no: my Tahoe would have been about $10k more than an Envoy Denali. On a side note, I just noticed that the 2009 Envoy denali 5.3l was rated at 300hp. Less than the a 5.3l in a Tahoe.... what the hell was the difference?:undecided:

Philly

Dec 28, 2011
My Thule roof box is a great addition to my 06 TB 4.2. I'm running 245 Bridgestone Revo's and a K&N filter and I get about 300 miles to a tank. I've had two golf bags with clubs in there side by side with plenty of room to spare. When camping I put just a bout all of our gear in it. And it keeps all the dirt out of your car. When on the camp grounds, it makes a great spot to store food and coolers away from pest. View attachment 17587

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 7

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Ghoster said:
To be fair, the price of a 2011 360 with all the options I have is what? oh... yeah.... ummmm..... :raspberry:

If my math is right... :no: my Tahoe would have been about $10k more than an Envoy Denali. On a side note, I just noticed that the 2009 Envoy denali 5.3l was rated at 300hp. Less than the a 5.3l in a Tahoe.... what the hell was the difference?:undecided:

The 2007 on up was 303hp about 22 less if IIRC than the Tahoe 5.3. (Actually my first Rainier with the 5.3 was a 2004 with only 291hp.) Nothing a tune and an efan couldn't overcome. They aren't quite identical engines.
The Envoy Denali sticker (which of course nobody actually pays) was mid 40's, the 9-7x optioned up was even more and the Rainier optioned up was mid 40's as well. The difference is that the Tahoe held more of it's value than the 360's.

I usually seek out the most car for the least money, usuall there is at least one undervalued platform out there like the 360 platform that depreciated more that it should have. As much as I love the Yukon Denali, you just aren't getting the same 'deal' when you buy one IMO. They are a great/superior truck, but they don't depreciate as fast as I'd need to buy one a few years old and I'd never buy any car new so that is out for me. Maybe when I retire one of the 360's in several years, i'd look to a Yukon Denali, since I will always have a boat.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Wow. Thanks for all the help!

The Tahoe I think would be out for the simple fact it would be the same as the TB with the third row. As much as I think the suburban would suit our space and future towing needs. I have a feeling that the wife who will be driving this daily will be happier with the v8 TB. I would have to settle with the roof rack on to give us some extra storage space along with the hitch rack. And not that its a good reason, but maybe I could get my audio/visual setup done I wanted in the TB. Just a few hiccups if it has bose and it looks like steering controls were standard on 05+

Anyone have any opinions on the XUV other then expensive to fix if it stops working? lol

Any preferences of the TB vs Envoy? Seems there is a few thousand dollar difference between the two and if the only major one is the pleather vs cloth, its not much of a selling point.

Thanks again for all the help.
Outlaw

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
outlaw said:
Wow. Thanks for all the help!

Anyone have any opinions on the XUV other then expensive to fix if it stops working? lol

Any preferences of the TB vs Envoy? Seems there is a few thousand dollar difference between the two and if the only major one is the pleather vs cloth, its not much of a selling point.

Thanks again for all the help.
Outlaw

I'm full of opinions. As for the XUV there isn't a third row just the space where the third row would be. I think it was kind of a neat idea, they just have very limited market penetration. I rarely see them for sale locally but when I do they are usually really cheap.

As for the TB vs Envoy, it depends on your taste. Personally I like things more refined, the reason my boat is a Chaparral, my snowmobile trailer is a Floe and my 360's are a Rainier and a 9-7. I could have a Bayliner, a Karavan trailer and a Trailblazer but that isn't me. For me I wouldn't consider the TB but would only consider the Envoy Denali 2006 or later. I dislike the overall look of the TB in and out but like the exterior of the Envoy Denali and the black interior of the Denali which is the same as the SLT interior. If I had a gun to my head and the deal was good enough I would accept an Envoy SLT with black interior. Some people like things simple, I like them as complicated as can be.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Haha fair enough. Ultimately price plays a more important role in our decision then wants. The wife does want cloth seats though. lol Which I believe is offered in most of the TB's and only some of the Envoys. Hopefully we can get an '06 or newer any version. I don't really care for the whole cross bar across the grille.

I should have done better homework, I didn't realize that about the xuv. Thanks.

Thanks again,
Outlaw

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
outlaw said:
Haha fair enough. Ultimately price plays a more important role in our decision then wants. The wife does want cloth seats though. lol Which I believe is offered in most of the TB's and only some of the Envoys. Hopefully we can get an '06 or newer any version. I don't really care for the whole cross bar across the grille.

I should have done better homework, I didn't realize that about the xuv. Thanks.

Thanks again,
Outlaw

Understood. Our last car to have cloth seats was the one we had with our first born which was a Chevy Corsica back when they were still made. Liquids soaks into cloth seats and not leather. It didn't take long to hate cloth seats realizing the fact that milk doesn't stop at the seat (present day nanotechnology cloth seats excluded) but soaks into the core of the foam never to be fully extracted. My suggestion is to drive a couple of each within the platform and see what you think. If you buy from one of the depressed states such as Ohio, or Michigan, you tend to pay substantially less for the same car. At least that was the case for me with my newly purchased 9-7x. As for cloth and which car it came on, it came as standard equipment on the Envoy SLE whereas the SLT version came with leather. Trailblazer is a toss up since I've seen every combo on an LS and the supposedly higher optioned LT depending on the year. In other words early LT's with zero options and LS's with a few options. Whenever you see the 'LT' designation on a Chevy, there is usually a sub category such as LT1, LT2 and LT3 similar to the Tralblazer SS that only came in SS1 or SS3 designations (except the early models that had yet a different variation). I don't usually see the regular trailblazer denoted like that but I did come across a few where I presume the dealer did that ad hoc.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Jkust said:
Understood. Our last car to have cloth seats was the one we had with our first born which was a Chevy Corsica back when they were still made. Liquids soaks into cloth seats and not leather. It didn't take long to hate cloth seats realizing the fact that milk doesn't stop at the seat (present day nanotechnology cloth seats excluded) but soaks into the core of the foam never to be fully extracted. My suggestion is to drive a couple of each within the platform and see what you think. If you buy from one of the depressed states such as Ohio, or Michigan, you tend to pay substantially less for the same car. At least that was the case for me with my newly purchased 9-7x. As for cloth and which car it came on, it came as standard equipment on the Envoy SLE whereas the SLT version came with leather. Trailblazer is a toss up since I've seen every combo on an LS and the supposedly higher optioned LT depending on the year. In other words early LT's with zero options and LS's with a few options. Whenever you see the 'LT' designation on a Chevy, there is usually a sub category such as LT1, LT2 and LT3 similar to the Tralblazer SS that only came in SS1 or SS3 designations (except the early models that had yet a different variation). I don't usually see the regular trailblazer denoted like that but I did come across a few where I presume the dealer did that ad hoc.

I thought about that with the pleather and kids. It would make a world of a difference cleaning up. The dog hair too. The wife doesn't want it more for the reason of hot summer days and our wonderfully cold winters. That was one thing I forgot about the Suburban. I had seen the front seats in cloth and the rear in pleather. Maybe I can talk her into the that option for the cleanup alone. She can suck it up and buy a seat cover, lol. Our 03 LT is all cloth, no bose, no steering control, no entertainment, no sunroof, no mirror blinkers, so the TB definitely doesn't follow any general guideline. It was probably whatever was near the line at the time. lol

Does the Rainer and 9-7x have extended models? I only recall seeing TB and Envoy extended. And I seen my first 9-7x in quite some time today.

Thanks,
Outlaw

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
outlaw said:
I thought about that with the pleather and kids. It would make a world of a difference cleaning up. The dog hair too. The wife doesn't want it more for the reason of hot summer days and our wonderfully cold winters. That was one thing I forgot about the Suburban. I had seen the front seats in cloth and the rear in pleather. Maybe I can talk her into the that option for the cleanup alone. She can suck it up and buy a seat cover, lol. Our 03 LT is all cloth, no bose, no steering control, no entertainment, no sunroof, no mirror blinkers, so the TB definitely doesn't follow any general guideline. It was probably whatever was near the line at the time. lol

Does the Rainer and 9-7x have extended models? I only recall seeing TB and Envoy extended. And I seen my first 9-7x in quite some time today.

Thanks,
Outlaw

Sadly no, both only came in the SWB. As I live in MN, I can say that our summers are similar to yours and leather isn't an issue at all for us. It takes one cold day, turn on the seat heaters, sit your wife down and she will be a heated leather convert and likely insist every car from here on out have heated leather even if you need to mortgage the house to get it. Hearing that leather is in any way anything other than superior is like trying to read Greek as in it doesn't make sense. You can argue the pro's and con's of the less powerful, less of everyting I6 to the more powerful, more of everything V8 but you can't argue that leather is not superior in evey way in our temperate summer/cold winter climate. This to me is like trying to convince someone that towing a boat with a minivan isn't as good as towing a boat with a truck if the person has never driven or towed with a truck. You don't even know what you are missing until you experience it and realize you have been foolish.:biggrin: If you can justify a SWB, toss your wife in a 2006 on up Rainier and you will buy it on the spot. Selling them to anybody who test drove one must have been easy. Rainier's and 9-7X's had a much longer bumper to bumper warranty than all the rest being 4 years or 50,000 miles so they are maintained possibly better since service was free. Also then the Rainier was sold to a much older demographic, meaning no kids to beat it up. There are hidden layers of benefits with these cars but you need to really understand each to find out what they are. My 2007 Rainier is only 1000 miles out of factory bumper to bumper warranty now at 51,000 miles (though it has a zero deductible warranty to well over 100,000 miles) and to say it is in nice shape is a disservice because of the sky-is-the limit bumper to bumper warranty. The 9-7x I have was maintained fantastically well too and there again, not only did the first owner (it was a 1 owner) not have any kids ever in the back, they must not have had any friends either since the passenger seat had few passengers. Compare that to the Envoy's and Trailblazers I saw that were the family truckster, up to the cabin, back and forth to work, haul the grocereys and small furniture, that were well worn even with low miles. No judgements there, but if in life part of the mission is to get the most for the least, all things considered, each member of the platform offers a different value proposition. If in life every decision was presented so blatantly at least for us as the 'which 360 to buy decision' life would be simple.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the info. I will have to see what she will go for. I had found some that weren't too far over the 50K mark, low 60's to upper 80's with a v8 and ext. Unfortunately, we will still need to look for the Envoy or TB as we'll need the 3rd row (have lost count on how many times we used/needed it).

Too bad there isn't a rep system,
Thanks,
Outlaw

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

xxxotiknightz

Dec 8, 2011
My wife and I have a 2006 Envoy Denali and a 2005 Tahoe Z71. Between the two we both prefer the envoy. The tahoe is nice but it feels under powered to me and she feels like its too big. The envoy is smaller and 2wd but it feels more comfortable and not nearly as cramped in traffic. The tahoe has a lot more space in the rear and the third row, but we can fit all our camping gear in the envoy. Granted we dont go RV camping so there is less gear to carry. Between the 2 I would recommend the envoy hands down. If you're looking for space, power, and fuel mileage you may want to consider a diesel. Im not sure if the suburban has had a diesel in it in a long time but the Excursions did. Just a thought.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
xxxotiknightz said:
....... Im not sure if the suburban has had a diesel in it in a long time but the Excursions did. .........

Blasphemy, Blasphemy I say 40 lashes and 2 weeks in the PIT!

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
xxxotiknightz said:
^^ I was wondering how long it would be before someone threatened my life with that one. :biggrin:
n/p, just giving you a hard time.
Ford did me dirty one time and I won't likely get over it.
I would say I won't get over it but my wife for some reason always likes the Fords......

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
While I'm not a huge ford fan either. At least with our current living/parking arrangements and the wife not caring for the suburban due to size, the Excursion is out also. We did look at them a few years ago before the TB and were just too expensive. Now, they have come down in some cases but now it's too big. lol Even that big pig wouldn't move the wall if the wife decided to hit it. lol

Excursion:
Length- 226.7in
Width- 79.9in
Height- 80.2in
Weight- 6650lb
Cargo Vol.- 146.4cuft (100.7cuft w/mid row up; 48cuft w/3rd row up)

Suburban 1500 / 2500:
Length- 219.3in
Width- 78.8in / 79.8in
Height- 75.6 / 76.9in
Weight- 5322lb / 6100lb
Cargo Vol.- 131.6cuft (90cuft w/mid row up; 45.7cuft w/3rd row up)

Trailblazer/Envoy EXT:
Length- 207.8in / 207.6
Width- 74.7in
Height- 75.5in
Weight- 4770lb / 4938lb
Cargo Vol.- 100.2cuft (61.6cuft w/mid row up; 22.3cuft w/3rd row up)

Trailblazer/Envoy SWB:
Length- 191.8in / 191.6
Width- 74.7in
Height- 72.5in / 71.9
Weight- 43560lb / 4404lb
Cargo Vol.- 80.1cuft (43.7cuft w/rear seat up)

The difference are enough to want the larger truck for cargo but the size of them and the happiness of the universe depends on what she wants. lol

Thanks,
Outlaw

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
I have a 94 rockwood pop up that I hauled with my 07 I6 4.2 non4x4 TB, 2200lb dry weight, the TB performed so well with it, it did not even affect my gas mileage and I had to keep reminding myself I had the camper attached. in February I upgraded to a 2012 rpod 176T, 2800 dry weight. affected my mpg a bit but performance was not an issue.
now, I upgraded my 07 I6 4.2 ls non4x4 to 06 I6, 4.2, 4x4, TB ext ls(4kids)I will be hitting the road soon with the Rpod and new to me TB ext, I have hauled the rpod around town and performance is great. I lost cargo area in the trade, however I gained it back in the rpod, since it doesn't collapse I can just pile the stuff in it.
I have not haul in 4x4, have used 4x4h at the light for kicks and it kicks ass.
Rpod.
19', have a fold out and a slide out, sleeps 6, we had 8 plus Mundo the Chihuahua. and there was still plenty of room.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online