Tax Refund

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
So it's about that time again. What is everyone getting/ doing with theres.

I'm going to pay off a few things for school, take a nice 4 day weekend trip to Dallas at the end of March an then save the rest for a rainy day.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, ill be saving/paying off a credit card.. my usual... my mod bug is pretty full from being fed over the past few weeks :crackup:

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Saving. Part will go toward the wedding and rest will go into the "house fund."

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Brakes,Diff,Oil and credit card lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Well it was a close battle. Between clearing off pretty much everything on my mod bug grocery list and saving up to pad the "Carlton needs a house" fund. The latter won out (this year) :wink:

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Well now I have something else to the list.

I now have a ticket to pay
62168eb9-226c-2519.jpg

drwfaulk

Jan 5, 2012
lift,shocks,bigger tires,piaa lights,roof rack and vacation to destin,fl in june (and the wifey gets clothes uhh) btw does anyone know of a place to wheel around destin?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I will be saving my money and will prob go into school or something! I do not really have a plan for mine

07 TB RIDER said:
Well now I have something else to the list.

I now have a ticket to pay
62168eb9-226c-2519.jpg

Damn what was that for?

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
I will be saving my money and will prob go into school or something! I do not really have a plan for mine

Damn what was that for?

62168eb9-27ea-f99b.jpg

62168eb9-27fa-3d8b.jpg

The TrailBlazer tool it like a champ. Lady is claiming neck pain though. Happened tonight on the way home from work. Fucking scary!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Yeah seems like the TB took it great actually!! Hope everyone is okay though! I remember almost rear ending someone because of ice and that was scary as hell!!! I am so happy the truck stopped some how!

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
07 TB RIDER;29789The TrailBlazer tool it like a champ. Lady is claiming neck pain though. Happened tonight on the way home from work. Fucking scary![/QUOTE said:
I sure hope your alright! And your right accidents are scary.

These TB's are thought, as your PIC clearly shows. I was rear ended two years back, saw it coming and there was no place to go, doesn't take much for some neck and back pain, I had plenty. I got a Ruger 10/22 with part of my pain and suffering check.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Paying down credit card bills. Liquid propane is expensive! :eek: :hissyfit:

07 TB RIDER said:
Happened tonight on the way home from work.
That sucks Mike. Shit happens though. On the way home tonight, I almost rear-ended someone...and almost got rear-ended myself. I was a bit more fortunate.

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah seems like the TB took it great actually!! Hope everyone is okay though! I remember almost rear ending someone because of ice and that was scary as hell!!! I am so happy the truck stopped some how!

Yea they're tough little trucks. I went and looked closer. It looks like the grill got pushed in a little, my black bow tie vinyl so I need to get in touch with Jeff and it looks like my hood is bent a little. Over all, grateful that's all it was and that everyone is alive.

jbones said:
I sure hope your alright! And your right accidents are scary.

These TB's are thought, as your PIC clearly shows. I was rear ended two years back, saw it coming and there was no place to go, doesn't take much for some neck and back pain, I had plenty. I got a Ruger 10/22 with part of my pain and suffering check.

Yea I'm ok, just getting kind of achy right now. Going to talk to my Agent tomorrow morning.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
07 TB RIDER said:
62168eb9-27ea-f99b.jpg

62168eb9-27fa-3d8b.jpg

The TrailBlazer tool it like a champ. Lady is claiming neck pain though. Happened tonight on the way home from work. Fucking scary!

Mike, what did I tell you about your nightly ricer-hunting expeditions? :nono:

Glad there were no serious injuries though :grouphug:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Daddy's getting some new golf clubs!! :dance::woohoo:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Never understood the concept of loaning the feds money at zero interest rate like they are running a lame Christmas club. I try to maximize my exemptions to pay as MUCH as possible every April 15th without triggering a penalty. :confused: That way the tax money is growing during the year in MY accounts instead of doing nothing. It *does* require discipline and a bit of a slush fund. :wink:

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
Refund!? What's that?

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Never understood the concept of loaning the feds money at zero interest rate like they are running a lame Christmas club. I try to maximize my exemptions to pay as MUCH as possible every April 15th without triggering a penalty. :confused: That way the tax money is growing during the year in MY accounts instead of doing nothing. It *does* require discipline and a bit of a slush fund. :wink:

I operated that way for decades. Now you can incur a penalty if you owe more then $1000 on April 15. With savings interest rates anywhere between .2% and 1%, that $500 average balance doesn't grow much in a year.

In April of last year, I learned that even though "widowed" pays the same tax rates as "married filing jointly", eligibility for tax credits (like tuition and child tax credits) follow the "single" earnings limits. I think that added about $4k to my expected tax bill. No penalty because it was the first year my filing status changed, but I did have to make additional quarterly tax payments for 2011.

My son's refund was held up last year because of some glitch associated with the $8k first time home owners credit he got a few years back. Finally resolved in his favor and he got his refund with 6 months interest at 3 or 4%. He wanted to send it back and have them hold on to it longer at that rate. When he first bought the house and got the $8k credit, he asked how the gov't could afford to do that. I just looked at him and said, "You're welcome".

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Last year I wrote a nearly $60,000 tax check in addition to the 12 months of taxes my wife and I already paid. All in all we could have bought another house or multiple 2011 Escalades. Next add in charitable donations and don't even get me started. I have never, ever received a refund since the year I got out of college. What do you all do for a living that you actually get a refund????

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:

:rotfl: Sometimes your truck has a mind of its own and is hungry for some rice :crazy:

07 TB RIDER said:
Yea they're tough little trucks. I went and looked closer. It looks like the grill got pushed in a little, my black bow tie vinyl so I need to get in touch with Jeff and it looks like my hood is bent a little. Over all, grateful that's all it was and that everyone is alive.

I am sure that your insurance will pay for the new grill and bumper and stuff. Just see what they can do for you! Or what is cheaper :yes:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I usually get back $3-4k every year. It works better for me to let the govt save it for me than for me to save it.
With a mortgage, a wife, 3 kids and contributions, I claim 7 on my allowances (federal) and still get that much back.
The few $ in interest I would get back isn't enough to offset what I would spend anyway.

This year I sold some stock so I'm going to have to pay in for sure. Hopefully I don't have to pay in more than I set aside when I sold the stock!

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Getting my wife an anniversary band for our 5 year wedding anniversary, for me new tires, bilstein hds, a laptop and just maybe a little 250 or 500cc motorcycle to zip around base on. The rest will go into savings for a rainy day.

As for the argument of it's better to get as little/pay a little on tax day, I would have collected about $20 in interest if I had held the money, and I feel like the moneygasm I had when I saw my refund was worth more than $20 :biggrin:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Does anybody not get a tax refund here? It sounds like tax day is Christmas for everybody. It is 'I dispise the government' day for me. It is like paying 10 times more for the same exact same stuff everybody else gets for no good reason.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Jkust said:
...What do you all do for a living that you actually get a refund????

I used to owe/get back $100 for the longest time. I figured breaking even was good enough, but I got sick of hearing about everybody getting massive refund checks too. Since I don't have kids, or a house, my option was to tweak my W4 and have them yank out extra money from each paycheck. Helps curb my sometimes questionable spending habits a bit too :redface: :crazy:

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
Does anybody not get a tax refund here? It sounds like tax day is Christmas for everybody. It is 'I dispise the government' day for me. It is like paying 10 times more for the same exact same stuff everybody else gets for no good reason.

Oh to be thusly boned...Ask not for whom the bone bones; it bones for thee.

This kind of inequality is exactly why we should have a consistent tax rate for everyone, regardless of income, number of kids, etc. I do great under the current system, so I see why low to middle income people love the pants off the modern tax code, but it is so decidedly unfair that I would take the hit to even things out across the board.

Imagine if everyone took home 85% of their pay, and if they choose to buy a house and pay interest, or choose to have kids, or choose to donate to charity, that is their decision and the government had no right to encourage or discourage any behavior with tools like tax subsidies.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Lima Tango said:
Oh to be thusly boned...Ask not for whom the bone bones; it bones for thee.

This kind of inequality is exactly why we should have a consistent tax rate for everyone, regardless of income, number of kids, etc. I do great under the current system, so I see why low to middle income people love the pants off the modern tax code, but it is so decidedly unfair that I would take the hit to even things out across the board.

Imagine if everyone took home 85% of their pay, and if they choose to buy a house and pay interest, or choose to have kids, or choose to donate to charity, that is their decision and the government had no right to encourage or discourage any behavior with tools like tax subsidies.

No kidding, many, many, take home over 100% of their pay meaning they pay no federal or state income taxes and get money back. I'd be happy to take home 85% of my pay. Sign me up today. The government through the tax code is our charity intermediary. The problem though is that you have to ignore so many basic concepts like risk taking to make so many of these things work.
Regardless, if I ever somehow received a tax refund, I would save it.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Pay off bills. And save the rest. Neverknow these days what could happen!!

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Blckshdw said:

He couldn't see the car....it was an Eclipse:raspberry:

Refund? Uncle Sam gets the federal for a couple years. State refund is going to pay down some bills and/or contribute to the rim fund.

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
Paying down credit card bills. Liquid propane is expensive! :eek: :hissyfit:

That sucks Mike. Shit happens though. On the way home tonight, I almost rear-ended someone...and almost got rear-ended myself. I was a bit more fortunate.

Yea, it'll get taken care of.

smitty5150 said:
He couldn't see the car....it was an Eclipse:raspberry:

:rotfl:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Lima Tango said:
Imagine if everyone took home 85% of their pay,
As you know, not everybody's income comes from "pay". But the idea about the flat rate has some merit. But it's starting to take the discussion political, and for that I have to apologize for the initial OT post.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
As you know, not everybody's income comes from "pay". But the idea about the flat rate has some merit. But it's starting to take the discussion political, and for that I have to apologize for the initial OT post.

Yes, the problem seems to be that whey you earn money, take risk and actually pick a winner with after tax income, of course you shouldn't pay the same tax rate on gains as you do on income. Is it that some people have never experienced capital gains? Paying tax on cap gains in the first place at any rate to me is egregious given you already paid income taxes on the money.

I'll take the flat tax rate because I already pay so far over any proposed flat tax rate. The fairness to me is giving the freeloaders a chance to pay THEIR fair share not the other way around. To keep it non-political however, I would love some OEM mudguards and some aftermarket running boards for the 9-7. I wonder what the median income of GMT Nation is.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online