Tampa Bay Area Mini Meets!!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I can do either dates just gotta put in for a day off in advance so I know I get off. I'm totally down to go to a meet and meet some of you guys :2thumbsup:.

@LouisTB Amen, Brother....

@Blckshdw ....Please alert us ALL at LEAST One Day in Advance that the Meet is CONFIRMED and provide all these pieces of data:

Location...
Date...
Day...
Time...

Reactions: LouisTB

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Not sure. I know we are having guests in May, but not sure exactly when and for how long...? It's the in-laws, so I really don't ask too many q's. But I will now because it'll be a nice escape for me!

LouisTB

Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
@LouisTB Amen, Brother....

@Blckshdw ....Please alert us ALL at LEAST One Day in Advance that the Meet is CONFIRMED and provide all these pieces of data:

Location...
Date...
Day...
Time...
Well since I usually work weekends which super sucks, i need like 2 weeks advance notice to get a requested day off. It's how my boss has things set up so if it's confirmed last minute I'd probably not be able to make it :/.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
After getting some feedback from guys who don't get on the forum much anymore, I'm gonna go with Sunday 5/22. Meet time will be noon, for lunch, like usual. Since we may have some guys coming from Orlando, I'll probably find a place that's on the Inland side of the bay this time.

Reactions: LouisTB

LouisTB

Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
After getting some feedback from guys who don't get on the forum much anymore, I'm gonna go with Sunday 5/22. Meet time will be noon, for lunch, like usual. Since we may have some guys coming from Orlando, I'll probably find a place that's on the Inland side of the bay this time.
Sounds good just let us know an address if at all possible. Makes finding things much easier.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sounds good just let us know an address if at all possible. Makes finding things much easier.

It'll be at a restaurant, just have to find one with a variety of food choices at decent prices, and ample parking so we can hang out together.

We used to always go to the Quaker Steak and Lube in Pinellas Park, but they have been having a lot more clubs go there on the same days, which makes it harder to organize meets with new members we haven't met/seen before. Bob can attest to that :redface:

Reactions: mrrsm

LouisTB

Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
It'll be at a restaurant, just have to find one with a variety of food choices at decent prices, and ample parking so we can hang out together.

We used to always go to the Quaker Steak and Lube in Pinellas Park, but they have been having a lot more clubs go there on the same days, which makes it harder to organize meets with new members we haven't met/seen before. Bob can attest to that :redface:
That's fine, I just like knowing ahead of time so I can plan accordingly.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This will be a good thing for us all... I am very much looking forward to seeing everyone ...and the Gift I have been holding onto for @Blckshdw ever since I got lost on my "QS&L Walkabout" has been "Burning a Hole" in the Top Drawer of my Clothes Chest! LOL

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
I may be able to make it. (That is if you don't mind a G8 GT instead of a GMT)

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
One of the guys traded in his SS for an SRT8, so I think you'll be fine.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
OK, to make things a bit easier for our out of town members, I settled on the World of Beer location in Brandon. It's just off I-75, so a straight shot up for our members from the south, and will shorten the drive for the folks coming from the Orlando area. They've got a pretty big parking lot, so we should be able to park together. I'm eyeballing the north east section of their lot to have our meet. Also helps that they have a good menu, and serve liquor for those of us who don't drink beer. :thumbsup:

So to recap :coffee:

Sunday 5/22 @ noon
World of Beer - Brandon *linky for menu*
2878 Providence Lake Blvd
Brandon, FL 33511

Clip_2.jpg

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
OK, so let's start the list! If you're in, copy and paste the list, and add your name. :cool:

1) Blckshdw
2) JimmyJam
3) Kurupt
4) Decembersend

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
1) Blckshdw
2) JimmyJam
3) Kurupt
4) Decembersend
5) LouisTB
6) MRRSM

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If not... then it is a shame... He will miss hearing Christopher Walken, Jason Stathan, Joe Pesci, Michael Caine and Dr. M. Emmet Brown addressing the group at various times and on various humorous topics...

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
As of now, I'm locked into a contract (with the wife) to visit the in-laws in Deerfield Beach that weekend :duh:

If I can get out of it, I'll meet all of you there. I'll gladly make a weekend trip out of that, instead!

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Would be cool to meet a few more members, if your current plans fall through. Hope the rain stays on Saturday, then we should be nice and clear for Sunday.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
I'm coming!

If anyone is interested in anything I have for sale. Let me know.

My Saab roof rack is available! I'll let it go cheap at the meet.

LouisTB

Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Well I just got here albeit abit early. I'm parked in the back corner near a white Jeep I got the greyish green TB with an all black front grille

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
lol, damn dude, you're WAY early!!!! Check your PMs.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
On the way...

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Had a great time today with everyone. Always good to see the old faces (not meaning age Bob :tongue:) and meet some new ones. Hope to get everyone to turn out for the next one, as well as the ones who couldn't make it this time. :yes:

20160522_150632.jpg

20160522_161115.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I don't venture very far from home much any more... But the trip to Brandon today for the Meet with many Tampa Bay Area GMT Nation members was very much worth doing. It was a pure pleasure to meet others... and to be reminded of what my 2002 Trailblazer will sound like when the engine is finally buttoned up and once again...purring underneath the hood. I got to meet some interesting people who's love of these special machines was very much in evidence by the rumble of powerful V8 Engines and the chance to see what all their pride of ownership, hard work and dedication can do.

And when we were breaking bread... many discussions reached out even further...all around the world about other members who partake of this camaraderie and share their problems and their solutions...their knowledge...and their need to know. @Blckshdw is everything a Man should be who acts as one of many patient, thoughtful and understanding Guides and Mentors who come to the aid of so many people in distress.

A Thousand Thanks to You, Carlton... and to everyone who attended the meet ... I had such a good time being with all of you today.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
One of these days I will get down there

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Pretty good day today. @triz came to my place and we got some work in. Starting off, hooked up the gauges and put some refrigerant into my truck, couldn't find any leaks, will go back with a black light later and see if I can spot any dye. :blinkhuh:

Took all 3 cans, but the pressures are right in the range I found online (cuz we know if it's posted on the internet, it must be true)

20160625_100842.jpg

20160625_100849.jpg

Then we got to work on Angel's HID problem. Never had both ballasts fire at the same time, and sometimes neither at all.

Although he swapped everything in the system from one side to the other already, we got to work and swapped some more. No joy, so I dug out one of my old TRS relay harnesses and pulled the ballasts off my fogs and swapped them in, in different combinations to try and figure out what was the problem.

20160625_114057.jpg

In the end, it turned out to be the actual relays in the harness were the problem. Yanked those bitches out, and put in a pair of 40A relays I had sitting in a drawer, and everything worked nicely, as you'd expect!

20160625_123657.jpg

After that, it was time for some lunch. We decided to hit up a spot that was featured on the show Bar Rescue earlier this season Paradise Lost.

There was NOBODY in there, just 1 guy watching TV at the bar, the cook chilling in the back, and the 1 guy for service. I was ready to turn right back around and go somewhere else, but Angel said why not... We both got the burger and fries, which were cooked and seasoned well enough, although I'm pretty sure they were frozen patties. :nono: It was plain though, not even a slice of cheese unless we asked for it. The buns were toasted, which was a nice touch.

I was gonna snap a few pics, and try to send them to the folks at Bar Rescue so they come back to visit this place, but I felt awkward, cuz anytime we moved much, the guy would look over to see if we needed anything. :redface:

Maybe the place is better at night for drinking, but there was absolutely nothing going on at 3pm. :hopeless:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Back on the base again with @kurupt and @triz , with Carlos' truck up in the air...

20160702_101210.jpg

This time, finally pulling his EBCM as I remembered to bring my torx bits. We thought one of the screws was stripped, but it just required a hand wedged between the ratchet and body to give enough downforce for the bit not to jump out and skip the threads.

20160702_100259.jpg

After that, it was time for the fan clutch and water pump. Air chisel is awesome, if you have one. That nut spun right off in seconds. :2thumbsup:

20160702_103129.jpg

20160702_103900.jpg

While they tinkered with that, I got to work replacing his rear Bose speakers which were blown, with some Fosgates he got courtesy of @24v 4.2

20160702_111807.jpg

After I wrapped that up, they were coaxing the fan and shroud back into place...

20160702_111817.jpg

Topped off the radiator, and let it idle up to closed loop status. A couple of short drives around town, temps were in acceptable range, I think the max he saw was 206 before we stopped for lunch.

Of course, it started raining, so windows up. Come to find out my AC is blowing hot air again. :hissyfit: Got home, and put the gauges on it, zero pressure on the low and high sides. More hunting to do for me, but I suspect the receiver/dryer. Yay.

LouisTB

Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
With having today of and Monday paid holiday I thought today was as good a day as any to tackle my shocks.

IMG_20160703_085242385.jpg

I started with the fronts since I knew that was going to take the most time. Surprisingly only ran into a few snags. Mainly not having the proper sized pickle for to back off the yoke from the LCA was the problem. But a quick trip to advance auto solved that problem.

IMG_20160703_140232953_HDR.jpg
Sorry I didn't think to take any photos till it was already in. Also learned the hard way that over tightening bolts make them snap. Was attempting to torque down the ball joint pinch bolt and just snapped it like a twig. So ran over to the local Chevy dealership and surprise surprise the parts department closed an hour early :hissyfit:. Man was I not happy. As I leaving the dealership I remember that when I first bought the TB, I bought an upper ball joint that I never used because I just never got around to it. Sure enough replacement ball joint had replacement pinch bolt :woohoo:.

The right side went a lot quicker and a lot smoother with the knowledge of tackling the left side first.

After buttoning up the front it was time to do the rears. Was able to relax while doing this since I knew from watching some videos on it, it would be simple.

IMG_20160703_144128457_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160703_144138889_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160703_144148192_HDR.jpg

After a quick test drive to return the pickle fork set, I can definitely feel a difference. The vehicle doesn't feel as shaky over bumps and corning seems a bit tighter and smoother. Also the noise inside the cabin has been reduced too. All in all I'm glad I went with the Bilsteins on all four corners. Now all that's left is think what else needs fixing :wink:.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Would anybody believe it if I said we were down on the AFB again? :crazy: Still trying to resolve Carlos' overheating issue. But apparently a bunch of other people wanted to do some wrenching too and beat us there. So while we waited for a bay to open up, we wandered over to the rec center. Shot some hoops for a bit until a bunch of young guys wanted to run full court.

20160730_104359.jpg

Couple hours later, we got ourselves a bay and got to work. We'd already replaced the T-stat, water pump, and fan clutch. I gutted his old T-stat a couple of weeks ago, and we were going to put that in. Along with re-install his refurbed EBCM.

20160730_121121.jpg

So now his ABS lights are off, and the pump doesn't run constantly like it was doing before. I brought my wobble extensions and we were able to get the T-stat off pretty quickly through the wheel well and didn't have to move the alternator. Going back in was a nightmare though. If I had some magnetic sockets, it would have been a breeze. But I don't, so we ended up rotating the alternator after all. :ugh:

Put the gutted T-stat in, bolted things back up, then made the cardinal mistake. Put the alternator back, belt on, driver's wheel back on, torqued it down, and all that. THEN put coolant in the system. "Hey what's that splattering sound?" Coolant was pouring down the side of the engine. :mad: Turns out the O ring dislodged as we were putting it in, got pinched and torn.

Pull the T-stat again, use the old O ring. It was a tad smaller than the groove it was supposed to go in, and we didn't have any gasket sealer to hold it in place. It was already after 3pm and the guy running the shop told us it closed at 4:30. So we took the gamble. Tried to hold it in place by hand as we seated the T-stat. Tightend everything to spec, and added more coolant. More splattering. S.O.B. :hissyfit:

So I let Carlos and our friend Marc take the EXT to Autozone to get more coolant, take the old T-stat to get a new O ring that fit and some gasket sealer. So I sat there... Took this pic cuz I was bored and my back was hurting.

20160730_153419.jpg

I got the T-stat back out before they got back. Sure enough the misfitted O ring was also pinched and caused the leak. We got the new O-ring in, no leaks, and out of the shop just at 4:30.

But... After Carlos got home, he called to let me know his coolant got up to 228 degrees when parked in his garage. Fresh out of ideas, he'll be taking his XUV to the stealership next week for a proper diagnosis. Fearing blown head gasket maybe...

Reactions: dmanns67

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
what about the radiator? Did you guys flush that out?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Not purposely, but as quickly as it emptied when we pulled the lower hose, we didn't think it would be clogged enough to cause this issue.

The other reason we don't think it's the radiator, is this problem started happening immediately after a failed attempt to tow a trailer 80 mph down the highway in overdrive, causing the engine to overheat. Subsequent tries to wait for the engine to cool down, and then continue in 3rd at more reasonable speeds still caused it to overheat within 5 minutes so he had to get towed home.

Ever since that day, the truck has always overheated, although slowly, on any drive that involved more than 10 minutes of highway speeds, then subsequent surface street driving. :weird:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Flush out the fins as there may be build up and not allowing good air flow to cool things down.

LouisTB

Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Would anybody believe it if I said we were down on the AFB again? :crazy: Still trying to resolve Carlos' overheating issue. But apparently a bunch of other people wanted to do some wrenching too and beat us there. So while we waited for a bay to open up, we wandered over to the rec center. Shot some hoops for a bit until a bunch of young guys wanted to run full court.

20160730_104359.jpg

Couple hours later, we got ourselves a bay and got to work. We'd already replaced the T-stat, water pump, and fan clutch. I gutted his old T-stat a couple of weeks ago, and we were going to put that in. Along with re-install his refurbed EBCM.

20160730_121121.jpg

So now his ABS lights are off, and the pump doesn't run constantly like it was doing before. I brought my wobble extensions and we were able to get the T-stat off pretty quickly through the wheel well and didn't have to move the alternator. Going back in was a nightmare though. If I had some magnetic sockets, it would have been a breeze. But I don't, so we ended up rotating the alternator after all. :ugh:

Put the gutted T-stat in, bolted things back up, then made the cardinal mistake. Put the alternator back, belt on, driver's wheel back on, torqued it down, and all that. THEN put coolant in the system. "Hey what's that splattering sound?" Coolant was pouring down the side of the engine. :mad: Turns out the O ring dislodged as we were putting it in, got pinched and torn.

Pull the T-stat again, use the old O ring. It was a tad smaller than the groove it was supposed to go in, and we didn't have any gasket sealer to hold it in place. It was already after 3pm and the guy running the shop told us it closed at 4:30. So we took the gamble. Tried to hold it in place by hand as we seated the T-stat. Tightend everything to spec, and added more coolant. More splattering. S.O.B. :hissyfit:

So I let Carlos and our friend Marc take the EXT to Autozone to get more coolant, take the old T-stat to get a new O ring that fit and some gasket sealer. So I sat there... Took this pic cuz I was bored and my back was hurting.

20160730_153419.jpg

I got the T-stat back out before they got back. Sure enough the misfitted O ring was also pinched and caused the leak. We got the new O-ring in, no leaks, and out of the shop just at 4:30.

But... After Carlos got home, he called to let me know his coolant got up to 228 degrees when parked in his garage. Fresh out of ideas, he'll be taking his XUV to the stealership next week for a proper diagnosis. Fearing blown head gasket maybe...
Where do you guys go to work on your trucks? That would be amazing to have a lift and be able to do any work needed, plus it be nice to have some helping hands that know there way around a TB haha.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.