taller tire on 17" wheel 2 wd Trailblazer

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
I am looking at a set of 17 X 7" wide wheels for my trailblazer. I currently have 16" stock wheels and they are a mess. Mounted my current tires which are in need of replacement soon are 235 75R 16 and the tire height is 28".
I want to increase the height up to 30 to 31" and the width a bit also...
I am looking for tire size recommendations. Some of you out there know how tall and wide I can go without changing anything... No lift and no modifications in that area are planned.
I will appreciate any and all responses.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The maximum tire height that you can go to without a spacer and lift is 30.6". Of course that varies with individual vehicles.

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Thank you DJ for your response. The wheels I found are OEM GM 5314's and I hope to snag them this week.
I will post a pic of my finished project soon....

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
No Tyme said:
Thank you DJ for your response. The wheels I found are OEM GM 5314's and I hope to snag them this week.
I will post a pic of my finished project soon....
Idk what those wheels are from the part number....but our trucks have a unique bolt pattern 6x127mm or 6x5. Full size truck rims don't fit. Just FYI

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Yep, that's the wheel. The guy who is selling the set I am looking at does state they come from a Trailblazer.
I am also looking at a set of 20" SS wheels but the seller can't give me a tread depth and wants $900 for the set. At that price I can't change the tire height without going over my budget. That is why the 17" are looking a bit better to me right now.
Even though I have a 2 wheel drive I want a bit more aggressive look to the TB so a bit taller tire than stock is what I want to come up with... I have 33" on my Silverado Crew with minor lift.

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
This guy with the 17"'s just doesn't answer or reply to emails or text messages... Crap!

Waiting for tire specs on 20" SS wheels and tires right now. May go that route.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I would look to the aftermarket for a wheel with a little lower offset if you want bigger tires. Not a lot of visual difference going from stock 245-65-17 to 245-70-17 which is the maximum safe size when all stock. The lower offset will give you more room to squeeze a larger tire in there and not rub against the ball joint.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I got some 265/65/17s put on just over 2 years ago. They are 30.5" tall, and slightly wider. Close to the UBJ but they clear fine. Can feel the extra grip when cornering which I like. :biggrin:

IMAG0525_zps4244c7fd.jpg

IMAG0524_zps1bdb7859.jpg

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Actually stock right now for me is 235 75 R16 which are suppose to be 29.69 in diameter.
The 245 70 R17 is only 30.5" in overall diameter.
That is not much more in height...

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
My 06 TB is running 265 75R16 on MB wheels, 30.6. They started on the 16" stock wheels. I have pics floating around someplace.

I like Rainier wheels.

Reactions: paul2005tb

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Interesting that most on 265 75 16 call them 32s.

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
I think it may have something to do with the width of the rim, but I am not sure...
On my Silverado my 33" tires as the specs were given to me turned out to be closer to 31.7 once mounted and on the truck.
Maybe the overall dimension is when the tire is un-mounted... which does kinda make since.
I told the guy with the 17's that I am gonna take em'... Like the idea of OEM GM wheels over aftermarket myself.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Just food for thought, these platforms can take a hit in MPG's real easy when you start changing tires. If you are sweating a few bucks now, keep in mind you may be out alot more later.

If you go larger, look for a low rolling resistance tire if possible.

Reactions: No Tyme

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It has more to do with people wanting to say they have bigger tires.

Reactions: djthumper

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Oh, ya: I will get a P series tire and not an LT for sure. I got the biggest in P series for my Silverado...

Your not saying that some have to compensate with bigger tires because of something now are U???
LOL :hahano:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
My 06 TB is running 265 75R16 on MB wheels, 30.6. They started on the 16" stock wheels. I have pics floating around someplace.

I like Rainier wheels.
265/75/16 is almost 32 inches. That's what I have on my TB.

Either those numbers aren't right, or they marked the tires wrong lol.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
HARDTRAILZ said:
Interesting that most on 265 75 16 call them 32s.

Sparky said:
265/75/16 is almost 32 inches. That's what I have on my TB.

Either those numbers aren't right, or they marked the tires wrong lol.
maybe it is just the 70R16s that I have on there. I don't drive it that much anymore. I put those tires on awhile ago. I have to take it off-road again soon.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
No Tyme said:
Oh, ya: I will get a P series tire and not an LT for sure. I got the biggest in P series for my Silverado...
While searching for tires recently, I noticed the Michelin LTX MS/2 has the LRR rating with the LT sizes and not the P.. :confused: ...kinda odd.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would never run P series on a truck or SUV myself.

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Personally I find the extra weight of the 10 ply LT tires and the rough ride a needless and undesirable effect of bigger tires on trucks. I have Cooper Discover ATP’s 275 60 R20’s on my Silverado and they have a SL rating (4ply) and I am quite happy with them. They perform well on wet roads and in the snow. I don’t pull anything heave and if I do it’s dirt or stone on a single axel trailer. They also ride very good and are an exceptionally quite tire.
Most if not all LT tires are 8 ply or 10 ply and are a much heavier tire, have increased rolling resistance and degrade ride comfort, which will also decrease gas mileage… but if anyone lifts a truck they shouldn’t worry about gas mileage because they are going to lose.
The Cooper ATP's are a private brand sold by Discount Tire.
crew2.jpg

Reactions: Mounce

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm planning on sticking with P tires on my Silverado too because of the extra weight/mpg loss for no real reason. It is only a 1/2 ton, no need for tires with a load rating way beyond what the truck is rated for. If I had a 3/4 or 1 ton then yeah I'd be on LT tires. The P rated tires are good for 2400 pounds each. No way I'm going to get 4800 pounds over the axle on a 1/2 ton truck.

Kinda sucks that the tires I really want only come in load range E (BFG T/A KO2). That's 3300 pounds per tire. Way overkill. Each tire is 8 pounds heavier than the Firestone AT P rated in the same size. Not sure how that translates into mpg loss.

*edit* now that I am reading more maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. But one thing I know I'm not is the price haha.

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
No, I don't think your making a mountain... I feel just as you do. I don't need that overkill on tire rating that I most likely will never need or use. Ride comfort is important to me but most of all low noise. Some of those bad boys hum down the road and I can hear them a half mile away... NOT for me!

Hey Sparky. Is your TB a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive... Would like to see a pic of your wheels and tires...
I am heading out tomorrow to buy a set of 17" Hollander 5314's in chrome. Pretty good shape.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hum and noise is tread pattern. You can have some near silent LT tires and some loud P tires.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No Tyme said:
No, I don't think your making a mountain... I feel just as you do. I don't need that overkill on tire rating that I most likely will never need or use. Ride comfort is important to me but most of all low noise. Some of those bad boys hum down the road and I can hear them a half mile away... NOT for me!

Hey Sparky. Is your TB a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive... Would like to see a pic of your wheels and tires...
I am heading out tomorrow to buy a set of 17" Hollander 5314's in chrome. Pretty good shape.
It is 4WD. I'm just running stock 16" wheels on mine, but have 32" tires on it. Obviously have a lift and wheel spacers to fit them.

20131004_122654_zpsb0be3d2e.jpg

20140611_174626_zpsd7757d1a.jpg

20150205_173951_zpsonatxfx5.jpg

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Nice, I like the way it sets... I have the same color, emerald green I think it's called.
I am picking up the 17" Hollander wheels today and after I assure the fitment I will be heading for tires...
I am hoping I can fit 265 70 R 17" on my 2 wheel drive. The specs for Cooper Discoverer A/T3's are 31.43 in diameter. The last set I bought dropped close to an inch and a half once mounted... Maybe I'll get lucky.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Blckshdw said:
I got some 265/65/17s put on just over 2 years ago. They are 30.5" tall, and slightly wider. Close to the UBJ but they clear fine. Can feel the extra grip when cornering which I like. :biggrin:

IMAG0524_zps1bdb7859.jpg
Question: did you do any grinding on that control arm seat near the upper ball joint ?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
paul2005tb said:
Question: did you do any grinding on that control arm seat near the upper ball joint ?
Nope. The angle of the pic is a little low, but I was/am able to fit a finger tip between the tire and UBJ.

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Wish I could figure out why I can't copy and paste into this forum... very frustrating especially when the page freezes and I have to retype everything...
FYI: running Internet Explorer 11...
Anyways got my 265 65 R 17's mounted... Look great and no issues what-so-ever.

Now on to the detail work...

Attachments

• trailblazer1.jpg
    trailblazer1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 19

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Those wheels n tires look nice on there

Kyle

Jun 9, 2015
No Tyme said:
Wish I could figure out why I can't copy and paste into this forum... very frustrating especially when the page freezes and I have to retype everything...
To copy and paste, Click the light switch thing in the upper left corner. That will let you paste. Then click back on to get the other features back.. Nice looking wheels by the way!!

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Kyle said:
To copy and paste, Click the light switch thing in the upper left corner. That will let you paste. Then click back on to get the other features back.. Nice looking wheels by the way!!
FANTASTIC! Thank you for that info... This makes it so much easier for responding to this forum!

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
No Tyme said:
FYI: running Internet Explorer 11...
Anyways got my 265 65 R 17's mounted... Look great and no issues what-so-ever.

Now on to the detail work...
Just a warning that I have some quite uneven wear in the middle of my 265-65-17s...they are tad too wide for the stock 7 inch wide wheels resulting in the uneven wear. When I need to replace them I'm going with 245-70-17s.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What PSI are you running? I have 265/75/16 and I have not noticed any uneven wear in 25k miles. The little taller sidewall may make a difference I suppose.

Reactions: djthumper

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: I'll have to take a closer look at mine tomorrow. The few times I've been down around the tires, haven't noticed any uneven wear on 265/65/17s

No Tyme

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Strange, Discount tire said they would fit but the specs for the Dueler H/L states rim width should be 7.5 to 9.5... Interesting.
I believe my rims are only 7". :confused:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Pittdawg said:
Just a warning that I have some quite uneven wear in the middle of my 265-65-17s...they are tad too wide for the stock 7 inch wide wheels resulting in the uneven wear. When I need to replace them I'm going with 245-70-17s.
Did you do a chalk test to get the proper PSI for wear?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Did a quick walk around mine before driving home, after 2+ years, the treadwear is even.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
No Tyme said:
Strange, Discount tire said they would fit but the specs for the Dueler H/L states rim width should be 7.5 to 9.5... Interesting.
I believe my rims are only 7". :confused:
That's the same specs for my tires and that's why I attribute the uneven wear to the tires being slightly too wide. Didn't have any problems with the stockers before these.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online