Talk me out of doing something stupid...

WWYD

• Hell yea!

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Need more information.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
So... I test drove a 2019 colorado z71 crew cab long box today.... and liked it... I am in the position where I could afford to buy it but... I still really like my truck. I am just at the point where with the driving I am doing I don't want to have to worry about the truck breaking down. Here is the thing. If I keep the truck, it needs tires, inner and outer tie rods and ball joints to be 100% again. I am not sure what to do but I am wondering what you all would do. IF you were in my position and could afford it, would you? The TB has 214k miles on it.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
You're definitely in that spot where it's fair to consider the longevity of your current ride. Nothing lasts forever and with what you have on the clock if you're logging a lot of miles you should consider an update. I'd probably still go used though because the sticker shock would give me a stroke.
In the last 12 months I've put 40k on the TB...

• Wow
Reactions: Matt and Eric04

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Go for it, I got the bug and ditched my beloved Denali for no good reason except that it was time. I can't believe how far the technology has come in 10 years.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Personally, I'd go with whatever seems to make more sense financially. The cost alone for the work it needs would be roughly part of a down payment. The only costly thing I really see is at 40k a year, you're already nearing the lifespan of what the tranny is capable of. Unless I'm wrong, but I thought 250kish was when they got dicey otherwise the drivetain is capable of taking those miles for a few more years.

I guess the next thing to look at would be the trade in value/street value, every year these things depreciate. With those miles...it won't fetch much, at least speaking from personal experience. Probably wouldn't hurt to see what they'll offer you, if its nothing I'd keep it as a spare, work on it when you can and you'd have a decent back up rig on your hands.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Personally, I'd go with whatever seems to make more sense financially. The cost alone for the work it needs would be roughly part of a down payment. The only costly thing I really see is at 40k a year, you're already nearing the lifespan of what the tranny is capable of. Unless I'm wrong, but I thought 250kish was when they got dicey otherwise the drivetain is capable of taking those miles for a few more years.

I guess the next thing to look at would be the trade in value/street value, every year these things depreciate. With those miles...it won't fetch much, at least speaking from personal experience. Probably wouldn't hurt to see what they'll offer you, if its nothing I'd keep it as a spare, work on it when you can and you'd have a decent back up rig on your hands.
Considering how fragile people claim these transmissions are and the way I beat the everloving piss out of the truck, I'm surprised it runs like it does. Actually the only trans that had a real problem with me was a 4l80e... the caddy slipped but the shift kit fixed it.

The big thing is, if I get the new truck the TB goes. Which makes me very sad because it is my first car. I got it with 92k on the clock and remember every damn second of it. I'd get nothing on a trade but could probably get 3k if I were to sell it. It's still clean and in fairly good shape. Frame is solid. Truck honestly owes me absolutely nothing.

As for the money aspect, I can afford to put around 10-12k down on it. My buddy gets me his employee discount and every incentive I can get.

I figured this was the bill out for what the truck needs: 700$ tires. I'd do the ball joints and tierods myself so figure 300 there and 125 to align it. So that's a tenth of the down payment but I still have a vehicle that's paid for completely. But I'm also only getting 18 mpg at best, just going up to 21 or 22 again is a huge difference. I know I can get around 25 in the Tahoe on my drive with winter crap fuel so that should do about as well. That cuts my weekly fuel bill alone almost in half of that is the case.

I honestly don't know. The more I drive the tahoe the less I like it. That truck literally felt like Trailblazer with a pickup bed. The turning radius was close enough to the same, the ride was nice and quiet and the seats were comfy. And the thing hauled ass but... I've got something to think about I guess. Having the payment and the insurance jump would probably hurt though.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
You might consider trading the TB. They gave me more than I thought I would get on a 10 year 125K suv and that gives you a tax deduct, plus you don't have to deal with Craig's List trolls or buyers complaints. :twocents:

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
The other thought was to keep the TB but put it on duty as a run around truck for the shop rather than selling it. My buddy told me I'd get a lot more selling it myself. I don't know.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It might help us all to observe this Truck under a Video Review before tilting the scales one way or another and suggesting that you buy in:

Reactions: smt 59

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
As mentioned above call your insurance agent to get a quote on what your insurance will be on a new vehicle. It might be comparable, or not. Back in 1991 I was going to purchase a full size truck, but it's insurance was $2,500 more annually than the nissan I purchased. I was sticker shocked at the price difference. And this was without any points or accidents.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Regarding your Trailblazer/Envoy... At 215, 000 Miles... You might consider getting ready to just drop In a Crate Engine, topping out at around $3,600.00 and if the SUV Transmission is still good... with your Excellent Mechanic's Skill Set ...and perhaps some help from Brian... you could quickly perform this Swap and breathe new life into your Trailblazer ...along with another 1/4 Million Miles.

This would of course depend upon whether or not the New Jersey Winter Road Salt has not already eaten the body to pieces underneath by now. The price of a Re-manufactured Engine might seem high... but in time... it will prove nothing compared to the cost of of purchasing a Brand New Truck and then having to shell out Mandatory Collision Coverage that will follow the Truck Loan around; leashed in like an expensive hound at your heels for the life of the Loan.

Please consider that Summit and few other outlets carry two flavors of the GM Atlas 4.2L Crate Motor; starting at around $3,100.00. So If instead you choose that route... You could renew the most important and ultimately the most problematic aspect of these GMT-360s on an SUV that you presently know very well and enjoy driving... AND that YOU can FIX if necessary AND hold a Free & Clear Title on as well:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Regarding your Trailblazer/Envoy... At 215, 000 Miles... You might consider getting ready to just drop In a Crate Engine, topping out at around $3,600.00

No, just no. When repairing costs more than what it's worth, it's time to say "adios mi amigo".

My son just went through this when his '03 POS Sierra died. At first trying to buy a new Sierra, which was completely unaffordable and couldn't even get insurance, And even a used 2011 Silvy, the insurance would have cost more per month than the truck itself (he's under 25 and has 2 tickets on record). He wound up having to buy it under his GF's name and him as a secondary driver. I still think they overextended themselves.

Get an insurance quote and crunch the numbers with the fuel savings. If you're comfortable with it, then go for it.

However, as someone once told me whenever I would fix his truck at the time "fixing it costs less than a car payment". I'm a "drive it into the ground" kinda guy and unless it was a smoking hot deal, I would pass. But that's just me.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I would in a heartbeat. For the same reasons you are thinking, too much money to stick into the old one. Then again I'm getting older and I really don't like working on stuff as much anymore. I've stuck a $1k into my Sierra already this year to have a power steering cooler replaced and rusted transmission lines. I just can't lay under vehicles anymore.

While having a payment will suck, not having to fix anything for long time is liberating.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wait it out. You said it yourself, your current truck owes you nothing. The truck still runs and drives out good. Just keep running it, until the wheels fall off.

At 40k miles a year, if you get 2 years out of it, your coming out way ahead. On a new vehicle, at 80k miles, the value has dropped of enormously.

Then you can have more options for the market, and maybe find something that 10-12g down, and 8k left on a payment, that makes a cheap truck payment (about 180 a month).

I have been considering a new truck myself, and I love my XUV, no matter how I look at it, I just cant find a reason to justify it, other than I would like a new/newer truck.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Well that's the other thing, I'll be the owner, the loan and truck would be in my name but my parents would do the insurance in their name and I'll be the secondary driver...

I'm working on the quote now for insurance so I'll have to see the difference between me and my parents being the primary. Aside from the motor mounts and plugs and a coil pack and sensor, nothing that broke on the truck was driveline either. The sad thing is again, he said they don't build them like that anymore. And I kind of agree. It is a nicer truck but the driveline itself isn't as over kill. Smaller struts, leaf springs vs coil in the rear etc. The good thing is, the crew cab sacrifices no space from the TB. Second row was equally as comfortable.

My biggest gripe is the payment, I can cut back the miles by living on campus for work and class next year to cut back the miles but that's also 10k gone. Is that going to be cheaper then the hit resale would take with 40k miles? That I don't know.

Edit: the other big thing is, putting the work into the truck that it needs right now really wont benefit resale much if any at all... That's the other big thing, to keep driving it now only to dump it in another year won't help any. And thinking about it, from june to august I will not be doing 500 miles a week commuting because my internship is only 9 miles from my house, so realistically I would end up putting more like 20k on it or so...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If it was me I'd get the replacement vehicle - whatever it is - and hang onto the old one for now and put miles on it until it dies. That way you're not rushed into buying a replacement but you have it when the other dies.

That's what I did. Bought my Silverado a year before the TB puked. And it didn't fully puke, but I just was not going to put major work into it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you are still using your parents for insurance...DON'T.

DON'T make payments on a vehicle until you have your own living space whether rented or owned either.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

DON'T make payments on a vehicle until you have your own living space whether rented or owned either.

Agreed.

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014

Fair, it's my policy but under their umbrella because otherwise this state would quite literally rape me with insurance. Health is mine, everything else is mine. Been looking into houses but again, this state is insane.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Kyle has nailed it... The other aspect is the uncertainty of having to pay for other, unexpected and expensive things that the Future always seems to hold in hiding from us while offering present Temptations... Perhaps never better said than by a very suspicious Banquo to the predictions offered by the Three Witches in Shakespeare's play... "Macbeth":

"If You can look into the Seeds of Time...and say Which Grain will Grow...and Which will NOT... Speak Thou unto ME!"

You demonstrate your character as a Man here in the like manner by offering up your dilemma ...and asking for guidance in your decision making... and you prove yourself to be wiser by doing so.

Last edited:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I'll play the Devil's advocate, Years ago living with my parents I asked my parents to co-sign a loan so I could by a Chevy convertible that I had lusted for.
They did it but my mother cried because she didn't think that I would ever be able to pay off that massive 2 yr. loan......I paid it off in one year.
Once you do buy a house you will for sure have to keep your clunker, because you will now be shopping at Lowe's not the Chevy dealer.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I'll play the Devil's advocate, Years ago living with my parents I asked my parents to co-sign a loan so I could by a Chevy convertible that I had lusted for.
They did it but my mother cried because she didn't think that I would ever be able to pay off that massive 2 yr. loan......I paid it off in one year.
Once you do buy a house you will for sure have to keep your clunker, because you will now be shopping at Lowe's not the Chevy dealer.
I know that too, dad and I built most of the present house. They told me I should do it and not worry about the insurance, their response was that I do enough for everyone else and that I should do something nice for me for a change. I think I'm just gonna keep the truck but 0% financing for 5 years is mighty tempting. I have the ability to pay for the thing in full and still have a nice sum left over... it's just I'll get audited immediately if I were to do that.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You cant take cash to closing on a home either these days, so buy what you can with it.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Well that's it, it just doesn't exist. According to my on paper work stubs I have about 20k. According to what I've actually made in cash is a whole different story. Side gigs are sweet until you go to use the money for what you want lol.

Reactions: Eric04

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I got an insurance quote on my own separate policy... it's not horrible. Also the amp in my truck crapped out driving back from the dealer so the last two days have been involving a lot of self talk driving in and out. :no:

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
If you continue to drive that much, it would be close to financial suicide to buy ANY NEW vehicle. Just for reference i tried pull up msrp on a 2015 CO Z-71 $35,000 (i don't that's correct but) today a 2015 Z-71 is worth $21,700 dealer retail. So what i'm trying to say is that had you done this 4 years ago, you would have at minimum LOST $13,000. If your 401k did this you'd crap the bed. It doesn't sound like you need a ride tomorrow, take some time research the used market, maybe find something with under 100k miles that still has a lot of good life in it. I just bought an '07 9-7x with 87k pretty much rust free $3500 you could drive something like that for about a $1000 a year

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online