Tale of the NAV

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
So a couple weeks ago my GM Factory NAV DVD became no longer readable by my stock NAV head unit. I think the surface of the DVD got scratched when putting it in or ejecting it. I read on some forums you can burn a copy by using decrypt to extract an iso image of the disc and then using a program like iclone to burn it to a DVD. I did that, after polishing the surface of the DVD enough so that my computer could read the disc. Before i bought some double layer DVDs, I burned a few single layer DVDs by removing some of the files out of the iso until i was down to under the capacity of the single layer DVDs. The size of the iso file went from 5.5 gigs to about 4.3 gigs. Well, the only DVD that works repeatedly with the unit is one of these canabilized single layer DVDs, even after burning 8 or so double layer ones. The radio reads it like a champ and i am back to having a functional NAV unit but LOL i think because of files i removed it now thinks that i am in a city in Michigan.. and thinks my home is over 700 miles away when i put it in as a destination. Is there a factory NAV guru that knows how to burn a functional DVD and/or why this single layer DVD works so well but the unit thinks i am in Michigan?

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I honestly never used the factory built in NAV, but have you tried resetting the radio to factory defaults? I don't see how deleting a few files off the disc would do that, unless they were used for telemetry purposes which could possibly create the issue your having. Best way to tell really is to get ahold of another GM Nav Disc, or burn a new proper copy without removing said files.

There is a certain way that the disc needs to be "burned" in order for it to properly be written, if your DVD Burner does not support writing certain ROM types, it could create the "dud" copies. This link has a user explain his process to creating a working one, and this video shows how to properly burn it.

Reactions: TimRXUV777

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
There is a way to burn a the disc. I have a burned NAV disc running in my Envoy XUV and Avalanche. There is some very specific settings you have to program in the burn. It requires a specific dual layer disc +R. It has to be able to write in BookType burn. The burner has to also support the BookType (most dont). Nero 6.6 if I remember correctly is the recommended program, but I might be mis-remembering too on that one. DO NOT BURN ABOVE 4x, and 2x is the recommended burn speed. It will take a couple hours to burn.

Its best to burn a copy to a clone DVD on your HD. If you burn as it reads from the DVD, it seems to always burn corrupted, at least it did for me. I ended up with 8 coasters before I got it figured out.

I do also have a different NAV unit in my Envoy XUV than anyone on the forum, I managed to fit in a dual disc unit from a Hummer. But my Avalanche has a single disc. So it will work in both units.

TimRXUV777

Original poster
May 6, 2014
Did any of your burned discs, that are readable but put you in a different state? I burned another single layer DVD since for now that's the only ones i can burn that the system reads, but the NAV system thinks that i am in Highland Park, MI which is kinda humorous because besides having me on incorrect roads, it has me driving through golf courses, sliding across ditches and in this really nice voice, it keeps telling me to make a legal u-turn. There is no NAV setting that would correct this is there? Also the female voice of the NAV is really much more pleasant and attractive sounding than other systems I have heard. Is the voice taken from the DVD or is that built into the head unit? If i get a newer DVD will the voice change? I like this one. :biggrin:

Also, one of the reasons i am attempting to keep the stock NAV head unit in my XUV and keep it fully functional is that i really like the OEM steering wheel controls and don't you lose that functionality if you go with an aftermarket NAV? Plus this is the LUX set up and it sounds good and i subscribe to XM.

Last edited:

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
There is a PAC module that let's you retain accessory on, on star, and the steering wheel controls with aftermarket systems. As long as you get the module that retains the BOSE system you are good to go!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The reason the system has you in the wrong state/city/etc is because the reference in the system on where to reference a certain file relating to the map and location on the disc is not correct because of how its written. This is why the DVD must be written in booklet mode.

I agree about factory radio/nav units. I prefer the fit and finish, that it is not going to get stolen. The RSC can be made to work with most aftermarket units with a PAC unit. But its just not the same. I like my Factory nav unit.. I wish I could find one for my Aztek and my Montego.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher