Tablets

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I was an early adopter of the form factor, and I started with used Motion Computing M1400s with Win XP. Haven't upgraded to an Android tablet until Delorme ports their mapping software over. I need full moving map display with local map storage without net access. Probably nothing they are going to put in the Android platform. For now, I think of my Moto Droid X phone as a tablet with a small display. :redface:

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
I got a hp touchpad a few months back during their firesale. It sits on my couch in the tv room, so I can look things up during commercials. Still not used to using the keypad. I still prefer a desktop or laptop keyboard.

black ice

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
tbuckalew14 said:
I got a hp touchpad a few months back during their firesale. It sits on my couch in the tv room, so I can look things up during commercials. Still not used to using the keypad. I still prefer a desktop or laptop keyboard.

yeah, i dont really like typing on mine, either...

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
not so much a tablet, but it might as well be... we got my mom a Kindle Fire for Christmas... and i love it!!.. of course my mom isnt technologically savy, so i had to show her the ropes... the only difrerence in apps is you have to have an amazon account to download apps.. it doesnt charge you for the free ones obviously, but you still need to have an account...

but it does the same thing as all the tablets out there, music, movies, apps, wifi, books, the library downloads for books now... i think the only diffrence is the Amazon Cloud to store all your things.. there isnt a slot for a SD card for extra storage...

ive also messed with the IPad, and Samasung tablets... loved them both.. if it were up to me, i'd get the 10.1" screen over the 7" screen

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I have an Ipad and my wife has an Ipad2. We loved mine enough that I had to get her her own so she would put mine down.:cool:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I have a Moto Xoom and I love the thing. I use it primary for school and business. I don't use it much as I do since I got my iPhone but it's still gets good usage.

Place I troll
http://www.xoomforums.com/

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I can tell you from experience not to buy a Sylvania tablet, they suck! I bought two of them at 90 a piece and thought I was getting a great deal. I did sell them on Craigslist for 100 each though. I feel bad for passing them off to someone else but am happy I didn't have to take the loss.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
All this tablet talking reminds me of this

[video=youtube_share;nmH7oXtXCkA]http://youtu.be/nmH7oXtXCkA[/video]

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
We've got a Motorola Xoom and really like it.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
I have the Acer A100, it's an Android with a 7" display, I use it all the time, if i need to google something quick I use my droid charge (4G LTE is faster than my wi-fi) otherwise If I wann read the news or my chick is cooking and uses a reciepe it's awesome we use it all the time. and for $300 can't complain

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
I have an iPad and I love it! I am trying to find a cheap way to mount it in my TB for music and video playback.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
HTC Flyer for me.... Running a custom build of Honeycomb so I can have my darn hardware buttons back.

It's also a 7" screen, which is perfect for me for GPS navi

Wifi only, but the navi software (Navigon) I use doesn't need a data connection except for traffic data.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I gotta FLYTOUCH 3 a chinese tablet and been playing around with it for some time. Alot of custom firmwares for it making it look and perform like the honeycomb. Love it! Kind of outdated now though and not using it as much :redface:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I've been beating myself up for 6 months trying to enough reasons to buy one.

I handle most of my emails on the phone, and the laptop covers the rest.

I've got nav on the phone and on the laptop, have a handheld GPS and the Avalanche has a nav radio.

The laptop stays home (most of the time), I can get most of my daytime internet needs from the phone.

A bigger screen would be nice, but do I need it enough to carry a 2nd device (yep, I could leave it in the truck).

I like the touch screen, use the touch keybrd on the phone 50 times a day.

I am thinking the laptop is more comfortable at a desk (angle of screen) and I have more ports on the laptop.

What to do, what to do?

black ice

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
RayVoy said:
I've been beating myself up for 6 months trying to enough reasons to buy one.

I handle most of my emails on the phone, and the laptop covers the rest.

I've got nav on the phone and on the laptop, have a handheld GPS and the Avalanche has a nav radio.

The laptop stays home (most of the time), I can get most of my daytime internet needs from the phone.

A bigger screen would be nice, but do I need it enough to carry a 2nd device (yep, I could leave it in the truck).

I like the touch screen, use the touch keybrd on the phone 50 times a day.

I am thinking the laptop is more comfortable at a desk (angle of screen) and I have more ports on the laptop.

What to do, what to do?
I said the same thing. lol .. but i luv it for watching movies. I have it rooted just like my phone....

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I've got a Xoom personally, and I am supposed to be getting one at work too... but I am not sure what that will be. Nothing about any of my Android/Apple devices (software) is stock... :wink:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i've been running a galaxy tab in my truck for a little while but i think i'm going to swap it out for a pioneer app radio 2
View attachment 18041

and then pick up a asus transformer prime once they get all the bugs worked out and they are more readily available

Attachments

• IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 85

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
jimmyjam said:
i've been running a galaxy tab in my truck for a little while but i think i'm going to swap it out for a pioneer app radio 2
View attachment 2961

and then pick up a asus transformer prime once they get all the bugs worked out and they are more readily available

That's interesting! Any day photos ? Looks sweet!

black ice

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
jimmyjam said:
View attachment 2961

I got the OG transformer. that thing is great..

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
I've got a wifi Xoom. I like it. I use it more than my laptop and probably spend more time on it than the PC. With the new update to Ice Cream Sandwich it works well and a lot of the bugs that irritated me are gone.

I got it on sale with a $100 off coupon. There's no way I could justify the original price tag.

black ice

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
v7guy said:
I've got a wifi Xoom. I like it. I use it more than my laptop and probably spend more time on it than the PC. With the new update to Ice Cream Sandwich it works well and a lot of the bugs that irritated me are gone.

I got it on sale with a $100 off coupon. There's no way I could justify the original price tag.
That's cool...the more i use it the more i like it..

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
I got my call for the Nexus 7 the other day. The good? It's a hell of a lot quicker than my HTC Flyer. The bad? Navigon crashes on load... So no replacing the Flyer quite yet.

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have the Asus TF300 and love it. Made a custom fiberglass mount for my dash. Use it for GPS, tether it to my DROID RAZR for Pandora and music apps like that, and also have a Bluetooth obd2 with Dash Command.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
FlyingFischer said:
tether it to my DROID RAZR for Pandora and music apps like that

I'm on at&t's tethering radar, else I'd be doing the same thing.

On the other hand, with at&t throttling unlimited plans to almost unusable at 3gb (5gb if lte)...

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have unlimited verizon data plan. Roughly use 10 to 15gb a month.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
FlyingFischer said:
I have unlimited verizon data plan. Roughly use 10 to 15gb a month.

Pre throttle, I was in that range just with my phone... Now that VZW did away with unlimited a couple months before my contract with at&t is up.... Sprint is too slow for the price, t-mo throttles after 2gb... Oh well. If the majority of consumers are okay with overpriced data plans, the carriers won't change a thing. However what one carrier does, the rest follow.

Accurate as of June 13, 2012

187186c5-8eb9-11ac.jpg

Now compare to this...

http://www.three.ie/products_servic...9_1344246282_23a8a9a06e4be1a3dfa42ad2b11b87e4

$25. Granted its 2g/3g only, but still...

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I have the iPad 3 and love it!!

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
I have an ipad2 32g... Biggest waste of money.

You can't watch anything in flash player ( majority of YouTube videos) no right click option, cannot upload pictures to forums unless you use tapatalk if your lucky or hot link from photobucket, a lot of websites force you onto the mobile site versions when you don't want to be..

I bought this to replace my laptop which died, should have just bought another damn lap top. Android platform on my droid can do more than this POS...

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Opeth said:
a lot of websites force you onto the mobile site versions when you don't want to be..

Not always a bad thing. We are having to find a new home to rent and the realtor.com site on our iPad is easier to use and generally better all around than the regular website version. I iknow this is not always the case, but just sometimes the functionality can be better suited to 'swiping type actions.

We bought the iPad3 for my wife and her graphic design business so that she could go to chamber of commerce meetings and present her design materials in a compact and professional manner, as opposed to carrying large samples of the actual work. We have actually adapted to the iPad in our daily lives and we would now really miss it if we didn't have it.

jsprewell

Dec 6, 2011
Opeth said:

You can't watch anything in flash player ( majority of YouTube videos) no right click option, cannot upload pictures to forums unless you use tapatalk if your lucky or hot link from photobucket, a lot of websites force you onto the mobile site versions when you don't want to be..

I bought this to replace my laptop which died, should have just bought another damn lap top. Android platform on my droid can do more than this POS...

Sorry to bust your bubble, but Adobe has ENDED development on the mobile version of Flash. No more Flash updates and no Flash on Android JB. Flash is dying very quickly, HTML 5 is now here.

Also, most of your other complaints are not iPad specific, they happen on my android phone and tablet as well.

davenay67 said:
Not always a bad thing. We are having to find a new home to rent and the realtor.com site on our iPad is easier to use and generally better all around than the regular website version. I iknow this is not always the case, but just sometimes the functionality can be better suited to 'swiping type actions.

We bought the iPad3 for my wife and her graphic design business so that she could go to chamber of commerce meetings and present her design materials in a compact and professional manner, as opposed to carrying large samples of the actual work. We have actually adapted to the iPad in our daily lives and we would now really miss it if we didn't have it.

I originally wanted an iPad for my photography. But soon after I got one, it expanded into other areas as well. I now use it to show my CAD drawings, photos, school notes, entertainment, and lots more. I have quit using my netbook because of the iPad. And while the iPad can't do everything, it does do the things I NEED IT to do.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I love the iPad it does so much and the quality is just amazing. The screen is something else on it. Plus I never had an issue with flash and do you seriously need flash for YouTube? You have a great youtube app and the browser will do just fine too. I like it more, much quicker and does better if anything. Plus if you need flash there are other browser you download that lets you use flash on the iPad. :twocents::twocents:

Does me good and everything I need it to do

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
The Xoom was just upgraded to jellybean (new OS) a few weeks ago. Big big improvements in the general smoothness of the device. It still does everything I want and I've had it for a year or so now. Viewing a pdf is a breeze, I've transitioned to reading a lot of my magazines on it. Watching movies stored on it, or streaming through netflix is pleasureable and when I'm out of town, or the misses is, we can video chat on skype. I even have drill and tap charts on it for when I'm out in the garage. Speaking of the garage... I also run tunein, or pandora/slacker etc and listen to music from it through my stereo. The Xoom also serves as my primary web browsing device and everything I've done online for the past month has been on it since I got hurt and can't get up off the couch.
At this point I think I would have paid retail for it if I knew how useful it would be in day to day life.

I have to admit I'm mighty interested in the Nexus 7. My only hesitation is I'm unsure of the 7" form factor. I really enjoy the 10" screen and I wonder if the smaller screen would be to small.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
Opeth said:

Download an app called Puffin, it's a web based browser that supports flash. I have it for my iPad 3 and I love it

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I have a first gen iPad and my new one is the Galaxy tab2 7plus. Absolutely love the Tab, the 7" form factor works great for me. Android vs iOS? Both have the pros and cons and not worth talking about, there's enough websites for that. It's just what ever works for you, everyone's different.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Decembersend said:
Download an app called Puffin, it's a web based browser that supports flash. I have it for my iPad 3 and I love it

Ima look into that app!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
A few months ago my wife got an iPad 3 and I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. We also have an iPhone and Droid Razr respectively. My son is getting an iPad 2 from his aunt. As you can imagine we hardly ever use our laptops anymore. And a desktop? Whats that?

benz01

Jun 2, 2012
Kansas
Decembersend said:

This app looks awesome, the free version is so fast. Can you import existing bookmarks from safari?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online