System Advice Needed

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Ok so, I'm looking to purchase a system. I need advice on a very budgeted build. (I know I know.. you get what you pay for)

02 TB LS - JVC KW-R500 HU with / XM

What I need from you...

Front and rear door speakers options. (Amplify them or not? If so what should I be looking for)
A Sub and Amp Combo options. (Not looking to bust winshields, but I want to thump without distortion)

Back in the day (20 years ago) I ran a Hifonics amp with 2 MTX 10's in a hatchback. I was very pleased with the sound. I realize the game has somewhat changed since then, and I feel out of the loop.
Look at this as a small project. As "What would I do if I had to build this for myself on a shoestring budget?"
When I say budget, I mean BUDGET. LOL! The economy is sh*t right now and family comes first, but I wont let that stop me from enjoying my music.
With the knowledge I have lost, and hopefully you have, perhaps this build can become a reality.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
my setup consists of AutoTek 6.5" components in all four doors, unamplified... and i have more bass then what your looking for :crackup:, but i love the ways my High's sound.. i have a pioneer AVH4300DVD double din HU.. so it puts out a little more power then your JVC i do believe... heres a link to the AutoTeks...

Autotek ATX6.2C (ATX62C) 6-1/2" 2-Way ATX Component Speaker System

what a lot of people do is just a stealth style box for one 10" or one 12"... there was a vendor awhile back that made the boxes for people.. but i cant remember... the box goes on the passanger side of the cargo area right next to your rear compartment there (not the floor compartment).. ive also seen stealth subs mounted in the rear floor cargo compartment... but since your just looking for a little more thump.. i think one 12" is perfect for you, with about a 500 or so Watt amp..heres what i mean about the stealth box on the passanger side...

JL Audio Stealthbox® (2005-up, Ebony) Custom-fit fiberglass enclosure with 10" W3v3 subwoofer Fits 2002-up Chevrolet Trailblazer / GMC Envoy, 2004-up Buick Rainier at Crutchfield.com

and anotherr pic...
View attachment 19033

Attachments

• IMAG0221.jpg
    IMAG0221.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 12

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
People Are Probably getting annoyed with my answer to this time and time again, But I have my opinion and it is KICKER
Hands down the best line to work from on a budget IMHO. While staying away from the true low end brands, kicker facilitates a line for a pure beginner and budget to Pure Enthusiasts.

eBay Is your friend!
Door Speakers Amplify. Why? With an amp you get the most out of your speakers dont restrain them lol let them ring free with what they were made for. If an amp doesn't fit your budget it just doesn't and that is that. You said you had hifonics before I think in recent years hifonics has started to prove themselves with the colossus line they are a solid amplifier company these days.

Speakers
Kicker DS650.2 Or DS650
The (.2) is the component set I have had experiences with both. Is the component worth it? Definitely especially upfront. It creates a sound stage with the split tone and it does sound A lot better. The DS650 Coaxial set is also a great speaker your just not getting that split tone which takes away from them a bit, but they are a perfect "filler" for the rear doors clean sound with still a decent punch to them.

[EBAY]260951991652[/EBAY]
[EBAY]330691442931[/EBAY]
SO Great these guys bundle to make life simple.
Audio Savings | Package: Kicker DS6.2 6" Component Speakers+DS60 6" Coaxial Car Audio Speakers
^^I dont know why these keep showing up as 6s I had the same issue showing my friend they do sell the 6.5 set somewhere because he was able to order them over the phone.

Subs
This is where I am undecided in a single sub setting, I think the better bass adder is the Alpine its a cleaner hit. Kicker still takes the cake on budget though, But I have had the bottom rung kicker it does add thump but it wasn't enough for me really wasn't even panel shaking, but at 150rms idk what I was expecting. My opinion on powered subs sets is kinda blah I have only seen a few decent ones but it still all depends on how much bump you want i know you don't want roof flexing but i still think somewhere in between some of those kits still cant reach that.
[EBAY]310378498825[/EBAY]
[EBAY]130651971630[/EBAY]
[EBAY]350522206479[/EBAY]
MTX isnt bad either if you want to keep with your brands.

Amps
This one can be a wide variety. If you went with the kickers you would not need anything insane, then secondly do you want something CEAcompliant which means like a Kicker amplifier is CEA compliant which means it is certified to push out the RMS it is rated at and in most cases ends up pushing more then rated they are known to underestimate there own power and the same with there speakers. But all major brands like JL,Forsgate,Kicker,Alpine and even jensen are CEA compliant. That being said as I mentioned before the kicker or even an alpine set up in the doors need nothing extreme to push them. So if your not going to lose sleep at night because your amplifier doesn't meet some super duper rules, the sky is the limit, including hifonics.
Non Cea amps
MB Quart FX4.50 (FX450) 400W 4-Channel Formula Car Amplifier
Those are just the ice burgh of multiple options
As far as CEA the cheapest are going to be Kenwood and Jensen And even Kicker Has a reasonable amp in there but its a bit on the weak side of RMS.
RE Audio XT800.4V3 4-Channel Class "DE" Digital Stereo Amplifier
Jensen Power 760.4 (power7604) 760W Max, 4-Channel Amplifier with
Kicker DX200.4 (08DX200.4) 4-Channel Car Amplifier

Well theres my novel for you If you already know this info I apologize but hopefully some Newbie can dig up something eventually from it :thumbsup:

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Well I broke down and decided to just take it piece by piece. So today I added new front door components.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC...5&nvpair=FFBrand|Kenwood#customer-reviews-tab

Simple install. Speakers fit right into the factory molds. The component tweets went in the mold as well with a small cut to bore the hole out a bit and a little hot glue to seal it in place.
No amplifier as of yet, and they sound fantastic! Next week will be the same set for the rear door panels. After that Im thinking a single 12" and amp combo to add the lows. I just need to do a little research on a sub and find some specs for building my own stealth type box.

xCricket12x

Apr 2, 2012
If you want to keep your budget low I suggest looking at some not so main stream brands like Audioque, Skar Audio, Sundown Audio, DAD, DC, Powerbass just to name a few.

UnionJack72

Mar 29, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
People Are Probably getting annoyed with my answer to this time and time again, But I have my opinion and it is KICKER
Hands down the best line to work from on a budget IMHO. While staying away from the true low end brands, kicker facilitates a line for a pure beginner and budget to Pure Enthusiasts.

Speakers
Kicker DS650.2 Or DS650
The (.2) is the component set I have had experiences with both. Is the component worth it? Definitely especially upfront. It creates a sound stage with the split tone and it does sound A lot better. The DS650 Coaxial set is also a great speaker your just not getting that split tone which takes away from them a bit, but they are a perfect "filler" for the rear doors clean sound with still a decent punch to them.

[EBAY]260951991652[/EBAY]
[EBAY]330691442931[/EBAY]
SO Great these guys bundle to make life simple.
Audio Savings | Package: Kicker DS6.2 6" Component Speakers+DS60 6" Coaxial Car Audio Speakers
^^I dont know why these keep showing up as 6s I had the same issue showing my friend they do sell the 6.5 set somewhere because he was able to order them over the phone.

So will these Kicker DS650.2 Or DS650 fit straight into a 2007 TB also? Front and rear doors, or do they need mods?

I'm also looking to replace speakers front and rear on my TB that has the Bose (no nav) system, I like the components up front if it's not a major mod.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online