Synthetic oil

roamingphantom

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Hey all,
Quick question:

My 2004 TB is due for an oil change and i am at 43k miles. I am thinking of making the switch from conventional oil to synthetic. Do you recommend that change and which oil should i use if you do.

Thanks
R

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Your engine is prime for a Synthetic. I would recomend Amsoil myself and I think a member here is an Amsoil distributor. So my vote is go Synthetic. :thumbsup:

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Ive always used synthetic but I have a hitch....

I refuse to pay for it. I used Valvoline Synpower for 6 years, ALL free after mail in rebate. The rebates have gotten harder to get for Valvoline lately, so I switched up to Quaker State full synthetic. $20 for a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart, with a $20 mail in rebate :thumbsup: I havent paid for engine oil since probably 2004.

I now have 6 jugs of QS full synthetic oil in my stash :biggrin: Ill use that until there is no more rebates.

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:

I refuse to pay for it. I used Valvoline Synpower for 6 years, ALL free after mail in rebate. The rebates have gotten harder to get for Valvoline lately, so I switched up to Quaker State full synthetic. $20 for a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart, with a $20 mail in rebate :thumbsup: I havent paid for engine oil since probably 2004.

I now have 6 jugs of QS full synthetic oil in my stash :biggrin: Ill use that until there is no more rebates.

That's some deal you got there. :thumbsup:

roamingphantom

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
MichEnvoyGuy said:

Definately fantastic deal - i am looking for coupons and rebates right now too. So you guys stand by Synthetic..

roamingphantom said:
Definately fantastic deal - i am looking for coupons and rebates right now too. So you guys stand by Synthetic..

I stand by it, and also sell it. I am an AMSOIL Dealer. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I run AMSOIL in both my Trailblazers, from head to toe, and love it. :thumbsup:

I am currently at about 15k on my current oil and have not lost a drop, and the oil analsys came back clean as a whistle. 10k more and I will change it, and add my bypass set up. :wootwoot:

Again if you have any questions let me know. Click the links in my signature for more information on all AMSOIL products.

Steve

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
07ChevyTruck said:
Your engine is prime for a Synthetic. I would recomend Amsoil myself and I think a member here is an Amsoil distributor. So my vote is go Synthetic. :thumbsup:

Steve A said:
I stand by it, and also sell it. I am an AMSOIL Dealer. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I run AMSOIL in both my Trailblazers, from head to toe, and love it. :thumbsup:

I am currently at about 15k on my current oil and have not lost a drop, and the oil analsys came back clean as a whistle. 10k more and I will change it, and add my bypass set up. :wootwoot:

Again if you have any questions let me know. Click the links in my signature for more information on all AMSOIL products.

Steve

:eek: I was correct. :biggrin:

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
MichEnvoyGuy said:

I would love to get my hands on some jugs for free.

Steve A said:
.........I run AMSOIL in both my Trailblazers, from head to toe, and love it.
thumbsup.gif

He means Bumper to bumper. I wouldn't recomend using Amsoil as an alternative to hair products

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
Steve A said:

Steve

bypass setup?

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
And free oil too. :rotfl:

:rotfl:

For free synthetic oil, heres one way to start!

https://valvoline.promo.eprize.com/engineguarantee/

Once you sign up for the 'engine guarantee' you will get a printable $20 rebate. Right now a jug of Valvoline Synpower is ~$25 at Walmart. Can you guess how many neighbors and family members cars Ive signed up?!? :biggrin: Lets just say I havent paid for motor oil for either of my cars since 2004!

Also, once in a while Amazon.com runs a KILLER deal on Purolator PureOne oil filters. Couple that with a Purolator rebate and sha-zam! You got yourself a PREMIUM oil change for next to nothing.

Listen, mama didnt raise no fool :biggrin:

LordBear said:
bypass setup?

Here is what I am going to be adding to the Trailblazer once I get to the next oil change. AMSOIL BYPASS

This filters your oil better than your single filter, and catches finer particles. Some people may say its overkill for our vehicles, and better suited for OTR trucks and bigger engine vehicles. I cant wait to get it in the truck!

Steve

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
ah yes..i remember looking back at these years ago for other vehicles i had... usually mounting like on the firewall or some where else..easyer to get to, better filtration, holds more oil in ur system. might considered doing this to my tb after i get some other projects caught up.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Always! I use Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 filter. Autozone and Advance Auto puts it on sale for $30-$35 for 5 qts and the filter.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
91RS said:
Always! I use Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 filter. Autozone and Advance Auto puts it on sale for $30-$35 for 5 qts and the filter.

I get it at walmart for $26.99 for 5qts. I do a mix of 2qts Royal Purple and 5qts Mobil 1.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
91RS said:
With the Mobil 1 oil filter?

No, But You can get a Fram for $8 or Go cheaper. $5 for the cheapest filter.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
03envoy said:
No, But You can get a Fram for $8 or Go cheaper. $5 for the cheapest filter.

I would advice against using fram filters. I have heard a bunch of horror stories about filter failure with them.

That being said, I just signed up from valvolines site, and did not get a coupon for $20 off

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Using Mobil 1 oil and then a fram oil filter makes me :confused:

Their air filters are ok, but I wouldn't touch their oil filters... I guess one line of their filters are OK, but I can never remember which it is, so I just buy what I know is good (mobil, wix, etc)

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Sparky said:
Using Mobil 1 oil and then a fram oil filter makes me :confused:

Their air filters are ok, but I wouldn't touch their oil filters... I guess one line of their filters are OK, but I can never remember which it is, so I just buy what I know is good (mobil, wix, etc)

Damn, i forgot about the Frams..... I remember reading those stories somewhere... Next oil change I am going to switch over to something like WIX.
Thanks

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Fram's top of the line oil filters have metal end caps internally. Their base and Tough Guard filters have cardboard end caps. Look at the artwork on their packages, you'll see it. Why should you pay premium for something you can get in most other base filters even Wal-Mart Super Tech?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
03envoy said:
I get it at walmart for $26.99 for 5qts. I do a mix of 2qts Royal Purple and 5qts Mobil 1.

Why? For the color?

Jan 2, 2012

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Why? For the color?

Why not? I think that Royal purple is a slightly better oil than Mobil 1. Why not mix the two? Wont hurt anything......

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
03envoy said:
Why not? I think that Royal purple is a slightly better oil than Mobil 1. Why not mix the two? Wont hurt anything......

I know it won't hurt to mix oils. :thumbsup:

But, if you believe RP is a better oil, why not just go with that?

I can't see mixing in two qts. of RP helping the engine. Not trying to be a jerk. Just curious.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I run royal purple and a K&N oil filter. 10k- 15k between oil changes, so once maybe twice a year. Oil still has a purple tint when I change it.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I never replied to the OP's query...

I am running Amsoil OE in the Boy and Mobil in the Silverado (first oil change free at dealership). Both are running just fine. The Boy will be coming up for an oil change soon. The OE is its first synthetic and they do a great job of cleaning the engine in their own right. I've passed 50% on the OLM so once I can see a free Saturday I'll change it out. May run with Amsoil XL this time.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
I have run Amsoil Synthetic in my truck since I got it 2 years ago. I have had no issues so far.

My next oil change is coming up very soon. I have never changed my own oil and plan on doing it myself this time :thumbsup: I am going to order some Amsoil XL and a filter very soon (Thanks Steve A).

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I run royal purple and a K&N oil filter. 10k- 15k between oil changes, so once maybe twice a year. Oil still has a purple tint when I change it.

When I did my Mobil one oil without RP it was BLACK with basically 3K. I am possibly just goin to switch over to RP. and Not for the color.

mo_86_05

Apr 27, 2012
i am also looking at synthetic oil in my trailblazer just to overall improve the vehicle. I have 128k miles on the truck, so is it too late for the switch for me? Also, what about an oil filter? Im sure i have to use a special oil filter with synthetic oil? And about how often should you change synthetic oil?

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
mo_86_05 said:
i am also looking at synthetic oil in my trailblazer just to overall improve the vehicle. I have 128k miles on the truck, so is it too late for the switch for me? Also, what about an oil filter? Im sure i have to use a special oil filter with synthetic oil? And about how often should you change synthetic oil?

It's never to late IMO. No special oil filter needed. I would change at around 7,500 miles or 1 year. But, that's what I think. Or just follow the oil life monitor.

Also, there is alot of info in this thread and on the forum about synthetic oil, never hurts to read a little!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher