Synthetic oil question and oil change intervals?

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Ok i am fast approaching my next oil change and have a question. My trailblazer will have 52000 miles on it when i get home so i am wondering can i safely switch over to synthetic oil like amsoil at this point? The understanding i have about synthetics is that they should not be used on higher mileage engines due to the threat of oil leaks. Since i am used to metric up here and am still getting used to the american cluster in the trailblazer i need to ask what mileage intervals should i be changing oil at? I normally changed at around 3500-4000 kms with my older vehicles so im not sure what i should be using for intervals on my american trailblazer. Thanks in advance guys!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
You'll be fine. Just don't switch back to conventional and stick to amsoil/mobil 1 etc. Stays clean for me and I change it at about 33-50% life depending on the funds. 100k miles of switching brands of synthetic and its mobil1 from here on out. My wife's car with 150k doesn't burn/leak mobil1 compared to anything else I put in. No sweats man. You have low miles! Some run the oil life monitor % down. Says I could go 10k miles or so. That's once a year if I followed that. 9mo.s or so and I'm good :thumbsup:

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
You are perfectly fine- What took you so long! I switched to AMSoil with 72k on my 2003 pickup (i bought it with 70k miles) and i dont leak a drop from anywhere. My most recent oil change was after 9k miles and i would have been confident to throw it back in for another 10k. Currently at 95,xxxx with no issues. I did however bump up from the recommended 5w30 to 10w30, just because of the extra stresses with the weight and driving conditions that i put it through, not to mention the extreme temperature changes we have in my area. My personal recommendation, if you cannot run an AMSoil filter, run a WIX filter.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
you might want to read the owners manual.

as for me, I use the oil life monitor, and end up changing once a year for age.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
You'll be fine. Just don't switch back to conventional and stick to amsoil/mobil 1 etc. Stays clean for me and I change it at about 33-50% life depending on the funds. 100k miles of switching brands of synthetic and its mobil1 from here on out. My wife's car with 150k doesn't burn/leak mobil1 compared to anything else I put in. No sweats man. You have low miles! Some run the oil life monitor % down. Says I could go 10k miles or so. That's once a year if I followed that. 9mo.s or so and I'm good :thumbsup:

Nice! so basically i can run a bit longer with synthetic...Good to know given my working conditions having me drive more often and further! I have the basic cluster that doesnt have an actual oil life monitor display other then the warning light on the dash which just kicked in recently (about 150 miles ago). So it looks like im buying a case of Amsoil when i get home! I bought the truck with 47300 miles last november so i was kinda hoping i was fine to switch over at first oil change.

Irishboy02 said:
You are perfectly fine- What took you so long! I switched to AMSoil with 72k on my 2003 pickup (i bought it with 70k miles) and i dont leak a drop from anywhere. My most recent oil change was after 9k miles and i would have been confident to throw it back in for another 10k. Currently at 95,xxxx with no issues. I did however bump up from the recommended 5w30 to 10w30, just because of the extra stresses with the weight and driving conditions that i put it through, not to mention the extreme temperature changes we have in my area. My personal recommendation, if you cannot run an AMSoil filter, run a WIX filter.

This is my first oil change on the truck since i bought it in November. The Dealership that i bought it from just did an oil change on it as part of the process of getting it ready for resale after it was traded in. Def nice to know i can run to about 8-9K miles on synthetic! Def gonna stock up on Amsoil and see if i can find the Amsoil filters, if not i will go with the wix filter this time and find the amsoil online to order a few for future changes.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Believe it or not AMSoil guarantees you for 25k miles with a filter change and top off every 6 months. I wouldn't doubt that it is do-able from the performance i feel and see out of it, however out of sheer theory i wouldn't run it that long. Even though it costs a little bit more up front, having confidence that it will last at least double the amount of the old crap that was put in there helps pay for its self.

Amazing products- you wont be disappointed (and it smells really good too)

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Irishboy02 said:
Believe it or not AMSoil guarantees you for 25k miles with a filter change and top off every 6 months. I wouldn't doubt that it is do-able from the performance i feel and see out of it, however out of sheer theory i wouldn't run it that long. Even though it costs a little bit more up front, having confidence that it will last at least double the amount of the old crap that was put in there helps pay for its self.

Amazing products- you wont be disappointed (and it smells really good too)

Awesome! Thats the kind of info i am looking for! The way i look at it is this...say it costs me $70 to buy the oil and maybe $30-40 to get it changed at the quick lube. The fact that i can go up to 9-10k on that oil will save me the costs of the 2 oil changes i would have needed to do by that point with conventional oil.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Sorry Darkrider for assuming you had DIC. I change my oil every 7500-9000miles/9mo.s and rotate the tires at the same time with the seasons. Had my range of oil life vary from 11,500 miles to 8000miles depending on the drive; road trip or city driving. Just let it warmup on the crystal clear cold days up there. Takes a little bit to warm up 7quarts.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Absolutely. Just make sure you watch them actually put it in your truck. They are aware how good that stuff is and try to be sneaky some times. To be honest you will actually feel a difference too. I noticed that my trucks coast a lot easier now and the heat doesnt effect it at all. It also loves the cold, no more sluggish starts. Good luck and let me know how it goes

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
Sorry Darkrider for assuming you had DIC. I change my oil every 7500-9000miles/9mo.s and rotate the tires at the same time with the seasons. Had my range of oil life vary from 11,500 miles to 8000miles depending on the drive; road trip or city driving. Just let it warmup on the crystal clear cold days up there. Takes a little bit to warm up 7quarts.

Thats fine..heck I assumed it had it when I first got it too. Thanks for the info!

Irishboy02 said:
Absolutely. Just make sure you watch them actually put it in your truck. They are aware how good that stuff is and try to be sneaky some times. To be honest you will actually feel a difference too. I noticed that my trucks coast a lot easier now and the heat doesnt effect it at all. It also loves the cold, no more sluggish starts. Good luck and let me know how it goes

Awesome. Def gonna consider switching the trans, and diffs to amsoil if possible as well. Sure its more expensive initially but if it helps my trucks longevity so be it!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I actually use a synthetic blend and get about 12500 miles on my oil changes. I probably end up changing it every 8 months or so.

I've run AMSOIL in my truck since I got it and what I do is at 90% on my DIC I send in my oil for analysis. Once the analysis comes back I make the decision on whether or not I change it or reset the meter and go again. My last oil change I got 18,500 on it. At 90% I think it was at 13-14k (i can't remember off the top of my head and I can't find the email from Oil Analyzers) the analysis did not show anything out of the ordinary so at 100% I reset the meter, checked it again at 50% and it was time to change. I had topped off with just under 1/2 a Qt during the period since the last change. Be confident that you can run synthetic with no problems, and extending your drain interval.

Steve

drburke

Nov 8, 2012
Adding my .02 cents in, it'll be fine. I used 5w-30 amsoil this last go around (first oil change), and I'm at 170k. No leaks anywhere. I was going by my OLM but at 18k into the purchase it still hadn't gone off, so I did it as a precaution. Amsoil does guarantee their oils to 25k/1yr, and it's completely safe to do so. I have currently have someone with a '97 4Runner 6cyl with 270k running on 40k/2 yr old oil (don't recommend it) and it's absolutely remarkable. Have two Sante Fes and two Camrys changing every 20-25k and yet again, it's perfect.

To sum up, you'll be fine switching it, and you can go the full 25k/1yr without switching it.

Bias alert! My family is an amsoil dealer, so I'm slightly biased.

Dec 4, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:
Ok i am fast approaching my next oil change and have a question. My trailblazer will have 52000 miles on it when i get home so i am wondering can i safely switch over to synthetic oil like amsoil at this point? The understanding i have about synthetics is that they should not be used on higher mileage engines due to the threat of oil leaks. Since i am used to metric up here and am still getting used to the american cluster in the trailblazer i need to ask what mileage intervals should i be changing oil at? I normally changed at around 3500-4000 kms with my older vehicles so im not sure what i should be using for intervals on my american trailblazer. Thanks in advance guys!

I live in your neighborhood. I change my Amsoil once a year (in Sept) and I reset my DIC when it gets to O% each spring. I also keep track of my mile/km and usually do around 12-13 K km's in that year.

I also have Amsoil in all diff's and transmission has been changed. I use Amsoil filters and would use Wix if I had a reliable source. My Denali also came from the states and has both miles and km on the speedo with English on the gauges. I have switched mine so the DIC reads in Metric. The transfer case takes a special oil only available from GM so make sure it is Blue and needs changing around 50K miles.

Hope this helps.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
As an amsoil dealer I urge people to be careful when running extended drain periods, not every vehicle will do ok. I generally wait until my OLM says 20% then I pull a sample and send it in. I generally get 23-29k out of one oil change with two filter changes and keep an eye on the oil level. Running amsoil is not a set it and forget it oil, but my TB hardly uses any oil, the throttle body is generally very clean, and it runs very smooth. Any questions let me know.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
djthumper said:
I actually use a synthetic blend and get about 12500 miles on my oil changes. I probably end up changing it every 8 months or so.

Nice! Def liking this idea more and more!

Steve A said:
I've run AMSOIL in my truck since I got it and what I do is at 90% on my DIC I send in my oil for analysis. Once the analysis comes back I make the decision on whether or not I change it or reset the meter and go again. My last oil change I got 18,500 on it. At 90% I think it was at 13-14k (i can't remember off the top of my head and I can't find the email from Oil Analyzers) the analysis did not show anything out of the ordinary so at 100% I reset the meter, checked it again at 50% and it was time to change. I had topped off with just under 1/2 a Qt during the period since the last change. Be confident that you can run synthetic with no problems, and extending your drain interval.

Steve

Nice! Thanks for the imput!

drburke said:
Adding my .02 cents in, it'll be fine. I used 5w-30 amsoil this last go around (first oil change), and I'm at 170k. No leaks anywhere. I was going by my OLM but at 18k into the purchase it still hadn't gone off, so I did it as a precaution. Amsoil does guarantee their oils to 25k/1yr, and it's completely safe to do so. I have currently have someone with a '97 4Runner 6cyl with 270k running on 40k/2 yr old oil (don't recommend it) and it's absolutely remarkable. Have two Sante Fes and two Camrys changing every 20-25k and yet again, it's perfect.

To sum up, you'll be fine switching it, and you can go the full 25k/1yr without switching it.

Bias alert! My family is an amsoil dealer, so I'm slightly biased.

Great imput thanks!

RedEnvoyDenali said:
I live in your neighborhood. I change my Amsoil once a year (in Sept) and I reset my DIC when it gets to O% each spring. I also keep track of my mile/km and usually do around 12-13 K km's in that year.

I also have Amsoil in all diff's and transmission has been changed. I use Amsoil filters and would use Wix if I had a reliable source. My Denali also came from the states and has both miles and km on the speedo with English on the gauges. I have switched mine so the DIC reads in Metric. The transfer case takes a special oil only available from GM so make sure it is Blue and needs changing around 50K miles.

Hope this helps.

It def helps thanks! I suspect I will be doing changes once a year as well considering it took me 8 months to get to my first change interval on the conventional oil.

TangoBravo said:
As an amsoil dealer I urge people to be careful when running extended drain periods, not every vehicle will do ok. I generally wait until my OLM says 20% then I pull a sample and send it in. I generally get 23-29k out of one oil change with two filter changes and keep an eye on the oil level. Running amsoil is not a set it and forget it oil, but my TB hardly uses any oil, the throttle body is generally very clean, and it runs very smooth. Any questions let me know.

Def will keep that in mind! Thanks!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I switched from whatever dino stuff was in the truck to mobil 1 my first oil change after I got the truck. That was somewhere around 115k I think. I have 181k miles now and have never had an oil leak, and it only uses around 1/2 quart or so between changes (probably just because of the poorly designed PCV).

I have just followed the oil change light. Anywhere between 11k - 14k miles. I probably could get a little longer seeing as that light is tuned for regular oil, but whatever.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Irishboy02 said:
Jeeze would you change it already!? :poke:

:biggrin:

I will once I return to civilization lol....the village im in dont have stuff like amsoil so I gotta wait till I reach the town that is an hour away or wait till I get home.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I would be honest with you and run the Amsoil XL. I wouldn't go longer than 10k miles. Follow the OEM change periods on it. If you have the DIC use that as your guide. Amsoil is a great product. You can always send the oil to OIL Analyzers or Blackstone for testing after. I don't normally recommend really long extended drain intervals without a oil test.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
To recap, yes it's okay to switch to synthetic. As far as the intervals are concerned, some people say 25,000 miles and some say 10,000. Go either Amsoil or Mobil 1, although some say use 10w-30 instead of 5w-30, and everyone uses the Amsoil filter or the Wix filter? And I have to send my oil in somewhere for a paternity test?

I'm so confused lol.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would never go 25,000 miles. Even if the oil might be good that long (doubt it!) the filter should still be changed before then more than likely.

As I mentioned, I've been following the OLM and changing when the light kicks on. Anywhere from 10k miles to 14k miles. Depends on driving, temperature, engine load, etc etc. It isn't just an arbitrary number.

I would also suggest against using 10W-30 over 5W-30. There is NO point to doing that. At operating temperature they are both the same, but at cold temps the 10W is thicker than the 5W, so it won't flow as quickly. These engines were designed with 5W in mind at cold temps, not 10W. If you have to use 10W-30 to keep it from leaking or smoking, well, your engine is about worn out. Using thicker oil is just a mask.

I usually use the Mobil oil filters but that is because they are part of the Autozone Mobil 1 oil change specials and they are still a decent filter. Nothing at all wrong with the Wix however.

I've never sent my oil in for analysis. I could, wouldn't be a bad thing I guess, but the OLM has been tested by so many people in the past that I trust it. As I mentioned, I'm at 181K and still going strong.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Sparky said:
I would never go 25,000 miles. Even if the oil might be good that long (doubt it!) the filter should still be changed before then more than likely.

As I mentioned, I've been following the OLM and changing when the light kicks on. Anywhere from 10k miles to 14k miles. Depends on driving, temperature, engine load, etc etc. It isn't just an arbitrary number.

I would also suggest against using 10W-30 over 5W-30. There is NO point to doing that. At operating temperature they are both the same, but at cold temps the 10W is thicker than the 5W, so it won't flow as quickly. These engines were designed with 5W in mind at cold temps, not 10W. If you have to use 10W-30 to keep it from leaking or smoking, well, your engine is about worn out. Using thicker oil is just a mask.

I usually use the Mobil oil filters but that is because they are part of the Autozone Mobil 1 oil change specials and they are still a decent filter. Nothing at all wrong with the Wix however.

I've never sent my oil in for analysis. I could, wouldn't be a bad thing I guess, but the OLM has been tested by so many people in the past that I trust it. As I mentioned, I'm at 181K and still going strong.

Alright Sparky, I have never driven my OLM to the change light (assumed if the light came on I waited too long!) but I think I may give it a go on the current oil based on your last testimonial. When I see what the fluid looks like at 25-30%, I could not fathom going much longer. Idk though, it may screw with my routine of sameday rotate and oilX :rotfl:

Guess we'll just all have to get together and settle it. With a RACE. :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just don't blame me if something blows up :raspberry:

My LS doesn't have a DIC, just the idiot light. I don't know what percentage the idiot light matches up with. I change it as soon as I am able after the light starts to come on for the 5-10 seconds at startup.

I rotate my tires each time I do an oil change. Yeah, that means it isn't the same number of miles each rotation, but I've gotten some really good wear out of these tires so it must not have been too bad.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I use the cheapest oil I can find. Change it when the dash light says to. Generally 7-10k miles. Costs under $20 to change it

Doesn't leak a drop.

I am near 160k on the truck and am definitely not one of the members that baby's their rig.

I can not think of a reason to make the switch. I will keep my savings for more fuel to enjoy the truck.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
I use the cheapest oil I can find. Change it when the dash light says to. Generally 7-10k miles. Costs under $20 to change it

Doesn't leak a drop.

I am near 160k on the truck and am definitely not one of the members that baby's their rig.

I can not think of a reason to make the switch. I will keep my savings for more fuel to enjoy the truck.

I hope you were knocking on wood when you wrote that!

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:

As I stated above, you can not just simply dump amsoil(or any other oil) in and go for 25k. I am an amsoil dealer, and have used amsoil extended drains for the last 8 years if my trailblazers life and have yet to get 25k even with filter changes and oil analysis I am usually just under 25k on the high end. When running extended drains filter changes and oil analysis is key with out those two things you WILL ruin a good engine. I run extended drains on all five of my vehicles one of which has clocked 96k with no issues. But I generally change filter twice and send a sample in twice on one oil change. As far as the OLM it HAS NOT been tested by anyone BUT the manufacturer, anyone running extended drains based on thier OLM is a fool lookin for trouble. I just want to make it VERY CLEAR there is more to extended drains cycles then pour and go, you have to change filters, you have to have samples checked. It sounds like alot but really once you get rolling it takes all of five minutes time to find out if you need a change or not. On average I change oil once a year, this of course is dependent on miles and load on the vehicle.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I'm not knocking what your saying Tango. I for one don't recommend a 25k mile interval for our trucks. One Amsoil recommends following the OEM change intervals. In our case the GM oil life system or 12 months whichever comes first as per the owners manual.

The AMSOIL XL is what I recommend. It has a up to 10k mile interval is priced way better than anything out there as well.

I usually track the miles I get from the OLM by keeping one of the trip meters and resetting it after an oil change. I think its right on target as far as intervals go.

As far as filters go. Amsoil does make a great filter. I also posted on another thread regarding quality filters and Bosch makes a great filter as well if you are looking for an off the shelf quality built filter.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
TangoBravo said:
As I stated above, you can not just simply dump amsoil(or any other oil) in and go for 25k. I am an amsoil dealer, and have used amsoil extended drains for the last 8 years if my trailblazers life and have yet to get 25k even with filter changes and oil analysis I am usually just under 25k on the high end. When running extended drains filter changes and oil analysis is key with out those two things you WILL ruin a good engine. I run extended drains on all five of my vehicles one of which has clocked 96k with no issues. But I generally change filter twice and send a sample in twice on one oil change. As far as the OLM it HAS NOT been tested by anyone BUT the manufacturer, anyone running extended drains based on thier OLM is a fool lookin for trouble. I just want to make it VERY CLEAR there is more to extended drains cycles then pour and go, you have to change filters, you have to have samples checked. It sounds like alot but really once you get rolling it takes all of five minutes time to find out if you need a change or not. On average I change oil once a year, this of course is dependent on miles and load on the vehicle.

I can get away with once a year oil changes too but I won't. So if I line everything up, would I get away with changing the oil with Amsoil every 25K or two years as thats about what I put on now? How often should I change the filter? Assuming all the appropriate suggested parameters have been met?

I don't know. Seems the filter exchange is the "hard part" of an oil change with these and that I would want to compensate for the fluid that spills with filter. Minimal I know, but the idea of losing a little and not adding some seems like something I would rather not teach others...:confused:

Thanks in Advance TangoBravo. I spoke with a couple dealers at the automakers Car Show and it seemed they were pushing a sale instead of answering my questions.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
So in short I can safely run at least 10k on one oil change after switching to Amsoil provided I change the filter only at the regular 5k intervals and get the oil tested after the second filter change?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
So in short I can safely run at least 10k on one oil change after switching to Amsoil provided I change the filter only at the regular 5k intervals and get the oil tested after the second filter change?

Or you can buy whatever full synthetic is on sale wherever you want to shop, use your dipstick often, and not change the filter until you change the oil. Every !0k miles or 16k kilometers. Ive done just about that driving a 102k miles now. If I am feeling it, I get Mobil 1. My wife's car loves it. Sounds like a lot of work for a ride that doesn't require me to do much for it. my .02

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
I can get away with once a year oil changes too but I won't. So if I line everything up, would I get away with changing the oil with Amsoil every 25K or two years as thats about what I put on now? How often should I change the filter? Assuming all the appropriate suggested parameters have been met?

I don't know. Seems the filter exchange is the "hard part" of an oil change with these and that I would want to compensate for the fluid that spills with filter. Minimal I know, but the idea of losing a little and not adding some seems like something I would rather not teach others...:confused:

Thanks in Advance TangoBravo. I spoke with a couple dealers at the automakers Car Show and it seemed they were pushing a sale instead of answering my questions.

Hey look everyone is going to have there own prefferance and own way of doing things and they like that, I get it I really do. Not everyone is going to be comfertable with extended drain intervals and I also get that. But I am ALWAYS here to help or answer questions. I am not an amsoil dealer that makes a living out of it. I am a dealer because I use so much of thier products that it was cheaper for me to just become a dealer, so with that I rather make friends then deals. To answer your question amsoil as well as ANY other brand of oil will ALWAYS suggest going off the OEM specs. This being said amsoil also states that if you follow thier specs warrenty will not be violated, this I can actually speak on from a very personal experiance. As far as when you should change filters well that depends on your engine. To make it simple, when it gets afew shades darker then when the oil was new its time for a new one. For my engine that is about 8-15k depending on how hard I have driven it. I am always here to help and you can send me pics of your oil(inbox me for details) and I can help you along, this goes for anyone on the forum. I will always help when I can but keep in mind this is not my primary job.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Darkrider_LS said:

A quality filter Amsoil, Bosch, Mobil One, OEM will get you to 10k. Just for the life of your engine dont use Fram.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:

No I don't change my filters that often. On my TB it isn't needed and I can think of only 3 members on here who use thier engines as hard as mine, but the others are not running amsoil and it really depends on the engine and how well it has been kept but wix and amsoil filers are both rated for more then 5k and I have only known of two trailblazers that need 5k filter changes(when using amsoil oil and wix or amsoil filters) Both of those were neglected severily by the previous owners. I get about 8k-11k from one filter. I would expect you would safely get more then 10k.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
triz said:
A quality filter Amsoil, Bosch, Mobil One, OEM will get you to 10k. Just for the life of your engine dont use Fram.

lol, haha I have been but not anymore. Wonder what Hardtrailz uses for an oil filter? lol

If Fram was that bad wouldn't they be out of business?

or is it because their application sucks for the demand our rides require?

If its any consolation I was using their Tough Guard or Extra Guard, can't remember because I rarely change it! :biggrin:

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
lol, haha I have been but not anymore. Wonder what Hardtrailz uses for an oil filter? lol

If its any consolation I was using their Tough Guard or Extra Guard, can't remember because I rarely change it! :biggrin:

Make no bones about it hardtrails is certainly hard on his rig and it has held up so far, for how much longer then engine will hold on cheap $20 changes is the queation. I can't justify investing as much time and money he has into his rig only to skimp an something as simple as oil and filters. As far as fram or any other filter it has to do with the construction and filer element its self. Fram is cheap well because fram is cheap. That is also the reason they stay in buisness because most people don't care about quality filters. Ignorance to them is bliss.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Playsinsnow said:

LOL...They are cheap $ filters (IMO thats why people buy them). They don't use quality materials. There stuff is like really cheap cardboard IIRC. I posted in another thread on here on a guy from my MR2 forum bought like 10 filters and cut them open. Fram by far was the worse made. Though that by itself is not a tell all I concluded what would happen if I ran oil thru a paper towel. Think Bounty vs cheap brand....haha.

Found the thread: Oil Filter Exposed

There is a few sublinks in there which were good. Some others have done it on other forums and almost all come to the conclusion OEM, Bosch are good choices in filters.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I run a Wix filter and only replace it when I change my oil.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
triz said:
LOL...They are cheap $ filters (IMO thats why people buy them). They don't use quality materials. There stuff is like really cheap cardboard IIRC. I posted in another thread on here on a guy from my MR2 forum bought like 10 filters and cut them open. Fram by far was the worse made. Though that by itself is not a tell all I concluded what would happen if I ran oil thru a paper towel. Think Bounty vs cheap brand....haha.

Found the thread: Oil Filter Exposed

There is a few sublinks in there which were good. Some others have done it on other forums and almost all come to the conclusion OEM, Bosch are good choices in filters.

I've seen that thread. It was very interesting. Wish I had that kind of change and time! It's too bad that I have several months before I plan on loosening my oil filter. I'm trying Bosch next time.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Hmmm seems like I sparked off a nice lil discussion with this. Triz and Tangobravo thanks for all the great imput! Triz I got your pm and will def be contacting you soon about ordering some amsoil products! For this first change im most likely going to get it done on the trip home and will be ordering the supplies to have them on hand for the next oil change after this one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online