Sway bars links clankin around

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
Hey guys i took the truck offroadin today, it did great but i noticed my front sway bar links came loose, there quite loose and are clankin while driving. There so loose i can wiggle em by hand. I thought bout just takin em off n goin without em today. My original plan was to keep the fronts and delete the rear sway bar, but now that the fronts are loose, im debating on runnin no swaybars. I guess my question is, if i take both swaybars off, what can i expect? More body roll, more sway? Ive read that some ppl say runnin no swaybars is fine as long as u dont drive like a jackass, but ive also read that runnin no swaybars has felt sketchy for some people. tbh i personally think it should be okay, its mainly my dad thats questioning itt, He hates the idea pf takin off both swaybars, he says its a safety thing. And i agree with that on a stock truck, but what i read is that with the stiffer shocks and springs that i have and other user have, that makes it have less body roll. What do you think and What would you guys recommend?

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
Hey guys i took the truck offroadin today, it did great but i noticed my front sway bar links came loose, there quite loose and are clankin while driving. There so loose i can wiggle em by hand. I thought bout just takin em off n goin without em today. My original plan was to keep the fronts and delete the rear sway bar, but now that the fronts are loose, im debating on runnin no swaybars. I guess my question is, if i take both swaybars off, what can i expect? More body roll, more sway? Ive read that some ppl say runnin no swaybars is fine as long as u dont drive like a jackass, but ive also read that runnin no swaybars has felt sketchy for some people. tbh i personally think it should be okay, its mainly my dad thats questioning itt, He hates the idea pf takin off both swaybars, he says its a safety thing. And i agree with that on a stock truck, but what i read is that with the stiffer shocks and springs that i have and other user have, that makes it have less body roll. What do you think and What would you guys recommend?
Decided im gonna take off the fronts, n keep the back for now. Until i get those JKS disconnectable links.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can do without the rear bar. Although I haven't done it, those that did say they didn't miss it. As for the front, you will learn what front sway is. The nuts on them often come loose. They have to be tightened with a breaker bar with red Loctite.

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
You can do without the rear bar. Although I haven't done it, those that did say they didn't miss it. As for the front, you will learn what front sway is. The nuts on them often come loose. They have to be tightened with a breaker bar with red Loctite.
Yeah i tried removing the rear bar today with a socket set, no luck, those bolts are on there so good even tho the links are wiggly. And my front sway bar links are the same issue, cant get em off with the tools i have, my front sway bar links are so loose, the sway bar is almost sitting on the lower control arm, i dont think thats right and i cant physically move the sway bar up n down. I think it taps the lower control arm while driving cuz i hear a tap tap tap, sounds like the links clunking or the bar hittin the LCA. My plan was to remove both swaybars today and then put in the jks quick disconnects or the suspensionmaxx links once i have em. But now im not so sure if i can do that myself 😣 i needa get some better tools like impact tools or something, ive got a socket set n breaker bars, n pretty much just basic tools. I do have a torque wrench. I dont know if that stuff is enough to get this job done though. What do u think?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Basic tools should work for this type of work. Are they the links with the Allen in the ends? Those are crap to tighten or loosen. Sometimes they're just rusted on and have to be cut off.

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
Basic tools should work for this type of work. Are they the links with the Allen in the ends? Those are crap to tighten or loosen. Sometimes they're just rusted on and have to be cut off.
Okay great and im not sure if they have the allen in the ends but im pretty sure there the stock ones from 19 yrs ago, ill go take a picture real quick.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Yep, definitely stock ones. But they don't look rusted so if you do a soak with pb blaster for a few days they should come off. You don't care if you damage them when removing. You'll need the allen wrench for them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online