Sway bar removal

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
Hey guys, im going to have the rear sway bar removed, but i recently saw this picture... im just wondering if this is a common issue that i will have to address.

Attachments

• F429B3A0-A83D-4E55-A758-168029B9CBF5.png
    F429B3A0-A83D-4E55-A758-168029B9CBF5.png
    2 MB · Views: 51
  • 8041163C-AD15-4D22-B5B0-F9105D958118.png
    8041163C-AD15-4D22-B5B0-F9105D958118.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 46

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't see how that would happen with the sway bar removed. Lots have run without it. Maybe @HARDTRAILZ can chime in as our resident off-road and lift SME.

Reactions: 02trailblazerLS

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I've been running mine without the rear bar for years and have never had an issue like that. I also still take corners like I'm driving a sports car.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you had any idea what he put that truck through...any oddball issue he got would not concern 99% of owners. He did figure out several tricks back when we were just trying things cause no one had. You will notice in the decade since....not been an issue for others.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Question: Is it possible to remove the front sway bar on a 2005 TB without completely disassembling my front end ?

It is a massive pipe and I have had it disconnected from the links for ages, I drive like an old lady and it serves no purpose to me.

There are two bolts on either side that hold the sway bar in place and before I try to extract the 4 or 5 foot sway bar, Id like to know if Im going to face a problem. I can see that it is questionable whether the bar will just snake out if I unbolt it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I know at some point they moved the bar into the frame and is non-removable unless you cut it. I wanted to keep the bar from my 2006 Saab but couldn't because of this.

Reactions: paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
OK that explains what I am seeing, I guess I just have to view it as another piece of steel that protects my engine in the case of an encounter with highway road debris.

Jul 24, 2012
It's just held on by four bolts on my 2005 TB (besides the links). The bolts fasten holders that hold bushings that go around the bar. I feel like my concern is that the bar has bends in the end, and the links hold the ends up. The bushings especially if they are old don't really hold much at all. Even if you drive like a granny, I don't know what keeps the ends from dropping if you hit a pot hole without links connected, and then maybe the ends come into contact with something in the road. Maybe that's far fetched but I mean I guess I wouldn't advise letting it stay unconnected.

You could remove the bar, I drive without the rear bar, but I think people definitely recommend not running without the front.

Reactions: paul2005tb
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
There was a change in swaybar design sometime around the 2005 model year. It's not clear to me whether 2005s ever shipped with the original design. The original design has a bar that does not pass through the frame and is easily removable by removing the bushing brackets and ends. The second design uses a swaybar that passes through both frame rails. It's not clear to me how they(second design) are installed or removed, but it appears they must be cut in the middle to remove them altogether. Without seeing one in person, I can only conjecture that it may be possible to remove them in one piece by removing fenders... but I don't know.

Removing your front links has advantages for offroading but greatly diminishes handling ON road. Cornering without a functioning front swaybar causes the vehicle to lean to the outside and can be exceedingly dangerous. OFF road, a non-functional swaybar provides the advantage of increased suspension flex - something that is a complete waste unless you have 4wd.

IF you remove your front links, either remove the bar, or tie it up. It's pure dumb luck if the bar doesn't rotate downwards and contact the road while driving - if that happens, "you're not gonna have a good time....".

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I have driven my vehicle for about 40k miles with the sway bar links disconnected. I really should tie them up but in all those granny miles they have never hit anything in the suspensions range of motion. I should post a picture. I have 3 in of suspension lift and a 3in body lift and 285/70/17 (32.7in) tires. I feel like a military grade road warrior in even the worst winter weather with this beast !

I found the thread/link to the removal process. It entails supporting the engine and temporary removal of the engine mounts so I think I will tie them up and drive another 40k ... https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/remove-front-sway-bar.15751/post-507243

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online