Sway bar nuts

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Oh. My. Goodness. I have done everything, Dremel, nut splitter, torch, hammer and chisel, nothing will get this nut off of the link. It's stripped from within the link so when I turn it, it turns the bolt inside the link as well.. Any ideas? 2 hr job turned into 6 so far and I'm still on the first nut:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
wesman43 said:
Oh. My. Goodness. I have done everything, Dremel, nut splitter, torch, hammer and chisel, nothing will get this nut off of the link. It's stripped from within the link so when I turn it, it turns the bolt inside the link as well.. Any ideas? 2 hr job turned into 6 so far and I'm still on the first nut:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Same thing happened with mine.... I took a torch to it and still didnt work, i had to use a hand saw and cut the bolt behind the nut off
One of the detachable blade ones where you can angle it too.

Good luck

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
I didn't think about behind it. Time to torch this motherf***** off. Saw zaw time :mad:

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Ugh it doesn't fit. I literally torched it till the whole thing was red hot then I made two cuts on opposite sides and it still won't come off.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369615153997.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369615153997.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 8

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
I used a phnuematic die grinder with a thin cut off wheel. I also knew none of that stupid sway bar crap was going back onto my TB so being agressive didn't bother me any.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Have you tried clamping, locking vise grips onto the end of the threaded area?

Clamp it on and let the frame of the truck act as your second hand sort of speak.
Then try to turn the nut(pieces). This may not work though due to the fact the nut has been cut.

You could try the same method again with the locking pliers and then try to chisel the pieces of the nut off.

I'm assuming you have pre soaked this area with some PB Blaster or equivalent already? If not, it's your best friend before attempting bolt removals.

Would it be possible to break open the ball side of the unit and grab the bolt from that side with locking pliers?

EDIT:
Those look stock, do they not have the 6mm allen/hex hole in the center? You hold it there while turning the nut.

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Sir ffeJ said:
Have you tried clamping, locking vise grips onto the end of the threaded area?

Clamp it on and let the frame of the truck act as your second hand sort of speak.
Then try to turn the nut(pieces). This may not work though due to the fact the nut has been cut.

You could try the same method again with the locking pliers and then try to chisel the pieces of the nut off.

I'm assuming you have pre soaked this area with some PB Blaster or equivalent already? If not, it's your best friend before attempting bolt removals.

Would it be possible to break open the ball side of the unit and grab the bolt from that side with locking pliers?

EDIT:
Those look stock, do they not have the 6mm allen/hex hole in the center? You hold it there while turning the nut.

Thanks for the suggestions, I used vice grips to stop it from spinning which actually allowed me to chisel the nut in two. Yes they are stock, but at the end if the bolt, I was so rusted that I couldn't even get an Allen in there to hold it... I even used a hammer to try and hammer it into the end with no avail lol. But yes, I will be doing the rest of them with vice grips and lots of PB blaster

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Did you try taking off the other side yet? My driver side sway bar came off with pretty much no trouble while the passenger side was the biggest PITA

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Ryda55555 said:
Did you try taking off the other side yet? My driver side sway bar cane off with pretty much no trouble while the passenger side way the biggest PITA

Yes it was a breeze, except for me the pain in the ass side was the passenger side, and the vice grip while turning the nut worked like a charm after I PB blasted it. Just used the chassis to hold the vice grips while I turned it, and it came right off :thumbup::thumbup:

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Glad it worked out for you :thumbsup:

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
wesman43 said:
Yes it was a breeze, except for me the pain in the ass side was the passenger side, and the vice grip while turning the nut worked like a charm after I PB blasted it. Just used the chassis to hold the vice grips while I turned it, and it came right off :thumbup::thumbup:

Hahahaha i can tell you're tired lol :rotfl: my PITA side was the passenger side too lol
But congrats!! Glad you could get errr dun :thumbsup:

tomsmith

Mar 12, 2013
For next time, would a nut splitter work? I've used those in a few situations and they've made short work of cracking the nut.

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
tomsmith said:
For next time, would a nut splitter work? I've used those in a few situations and they've made short work of cracking the nut.

No, I broke two of them failing at getting that one off x_x I think it was because they had a lip on them that was a wider diameter than the nut, so it would just slide off

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.