Sway bar end links keep going loose?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys,
I know this has happened in the past after changing the end links. I've tightened them twice, the right side is fine but the left keeps going loose.

Any ideas on making it stick? I've tightened it as much as I can already.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Here's what i did ! Double bolted it for now and holding up fine after driving it around. Will go to a shop today see if can find bolt tight.

13132b39.jpg

cartman57

Dec 4, 2011
Double nut should work fine, maybe red locktite? (I think that color is easily removable when used)
Odd that it's only on the driver side, must be how it moves and causes it to loosen up.
Supprised it didn't come with some kind of lock nut.
Or you could find a split lock ring and use the nut you have on the outside as the primary nut since it has the flanged base.

crash2e

Dec 5, 2011
Mine kept backing off as well. Crawled underneath and put a lock washer on it. Been fine ever since.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
So been looking around and no one knows what it is which doesn't surprise me here. Tomorrow I'll be going to a big store which has everything you'll ever need for your house, or car just name it. They also got US products so maybe will get lucky. In the meantime the double bolt is holding up great lol

gsf1200m

Dec 15, 2011
This happened to me for the second time today. It was also the driver's side but the upper nut. Very annoying, but I hope to fix it for good tomorow.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
gsf1200m said:
This happened to me for the second time today. It was also the driver's side but the upper nut. Very annoying, but I hope to fix it for good tomorow.

Yeh the upper nut also went loose the first time around! I hope i've fixed the problem this time.:undecided:

2x1968muscle

Dec 4, 2011
I double nutted mine after 2-3 times of coming loose. Even lost one of the nuts on the front right
Ended up after only 2 years replacing them (worn out again) with Maxx links
They come with a nylon locking nut.
That might be the solution for those that keep fighting the loose end links....go get a handful of nylon locking nuts!!

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
I double nutted mine and used blue loctite and its been popping again this past week. I just replaced the fronts 2weeks ago. maybe try a lockwasher?

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
fadyasha said:
Here's what i did ! Double bolted it for now and holding up fine after driving it around. Will go to a shop today see if can find bolt tight.

13132b39.jpg

Looks like some CV half shafts might be in your future....

Mine are the same, on my (long) list of things to do this Spring / Summer.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Yeah, I've lost some nuts before. Went to Homedepot, found lock washers that fit and never lost them again. Blue locktite is also a good recommendation also, but I'm not sure how they would act against the wintry mix since it's exposed more. Maybe that's why they aren't holding up too well.

I have the Suspension MAXX links now and they're doing a well job. They're held in by locknuts only that were supplied. These replaced the greasable Moogs. The Moogs just couldn't stand the water and snow. The boot covers didn't protect the ball joints and greasing them didn't do squat.

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
Anyone know what size nut that is for the endlinks?

jayd1563

Nov 18, 2011
i had the same problem,,the old ones rattled over bumps so i bought new ones,,,,,,after a week they kept getting loose and rattling..........so i finally fixed the problem once and for all,,i took the f'ing swaybar and endlinks off!,,,no more rattle!

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Just to add to this thread, I changed all of my end links, front and rear, and also all of my bushings a month or so ago. I used anti seize as well on everything, so I figured I may have some links start to clunk again. The only link that has come loose is the driver side front, like others have described here, and it came loose on me twice. After that I put a little blue Loctite and also used a lock washer, I think the size was 9/16. It's been fine since.

Amazing how just a little bit of looseness can make such a loud clunk when you are driving.

Reactions: Mechassy

Tofer76

Dec 8, 2011
I think I went alil overboard on mine when I did them . mine have a hex side to hold onto near the joint but its too thin to get a wrench in there so I spaced it with a lock washer then I put it through the hole
on the other side it goes washer, lock washer, locknut, lock washer, locknut!! threads were all coated in threadlock and all were put on with a impact lol THEY AINT MOVING!!!

Opadilla69

Feb 24, 2018
Az
When I take the bolt off and put back on with lock washer it will require realignment of front end? Yes or no?? Thank you in advance.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
(on edit: Crap, I contributed to a necropost...oh, well...maybe it'll help someone)

Hey guys,
I know this has happened in the past after changing the end links. I've tightened them twice, the right side is fine but the left keeps going loose.

Any ideas on making it stick? I've tightened it as much as I can already.

Are these the fronts, and you have a pre-2006? GM revised the torque in '04 for the early trucks. IIRC, it's 114 ft/lbs - but search my suspension post to confirm. I also used blue locktite with a lockwasher.

Dunno if that's the majick combo yet, but that's what I did (and it's about time for me to recheck - I know I've got > 1000mi since installing them.)

BTW - if you use the blue, be ready to torque down right away; it's fairly pliable until you leave it for a few minutes (ask me how I know) If you use the red, definitely don't wait to final torque the bolt!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online