Swapping out complete dash , auto climate, DIC cluster, and steering wheel controls

Gordinho80

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I have a 2002 LT Trailblazer that I'm looking to take the dash out of and put it into my 2004 LS. The LT is a complete donor for auto climate, DIC cluster, and steering wheel with controls.

I know that swapping from manual to auto climate is a pain in the a$$... but would it be more feasible to swap out the entire dashboard? I figure if I could tare down the 02 dash carefully, I can get it to a point where its just a matter of bolting it back in, but in the 04. I know that I will need some specific items that are not in the dash, ambient temp sensor in the grill (I already have this as I replaced my rearview mirror with a temp/compass unit some years ago) and the driver side sensor in the B pillar next to the drivers head. I already have this removed from the 02.

I'm hoping that some have looked into this and have some information they can share. Maybe if someone is local and wants to give me a hand one day??? LOL

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Need anything much more than the schematics that I'm sure I've posted a few times here and there? The schematics show all the sensors and how they and the actuators wire up to the head unit. Assume you have the blower and the automatic system speed control module. The plenum is probably the trickest part, since there are 4 (?) airflow temp sensors inside the plenum, maybe just behind the outlet grilles. Oh yeah, and the sunload sensor on the dash.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I can't offer any advice on this as I'm not that mechanically inclined, but did want to say good luck!! And that your in the right place for the advice you need.

Gordinho80

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I have not begun stripping out the dash yet. I guess I was hoping that maybe someone else out there already did this... but it looks like I might be the first, if I even attempt it.

Gordinho80

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I forgot that 06 Envoy did this... and I've decided that I'm not going to go through with the climate control change... I'm simply going to use the actuators as replacements/spares since a couple of mine are bad. The driver side temp mode actuator seems to default to cold. I can cycle the knob and it will go back to hot, but it sets itself to cold again when it feels like it. The pass side is doing this too, but I unplug the actuator after i choose which mode I want and it stays put.

I will be doing the DIC and steering wheel swap. Well, the wheel and clockspring are already in, just need to wire up the buttons to the cluster harness and the headlight switch. I'm not going to do stereo controls or the climate. Any suggestions for things I can control with those buttons? LOL

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher