Swapping one g80 for another?

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I plan on swapping out my g80 with another I bought some time ago (bad and broken teeth on spider gears, ring and pinion are fine) and was wondering if it's as 'simple' as pulling out the old carrier and replacing with the other one? I know I have to pull the axles. Are there any shims or alignment issues I need to address since I plan on swapping my ring gear onto the replacement carrier.

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
I have the 3.42 gears, half of my pinion sheared off while backing into a parking spot. It destroyed everything it touched except the ring.

I ended up doing a complete axle assembly swap, which took one entire sunday to complete. I know from personal experience swapping the entire assembly is pretty straight forward but i never messed with the gear set in the diff. except flushing the fluid.

The interesting/scary part was when i was removing the wheels the axle shaft and hub wanted to come with, the only thing holding it together was the calipers!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ksimm92 said:
I have the 3.42 gears, half of my pinion sheared off while backing into a parking spot. It destroyed everything it touched except the ring.

I ended up doing a complete axle assembly swap, which took one entire sunday to complete. I know from personal experience swapping the entire assembly is pretty straight forward but i never messed with the gear set in the diff. except flushing the fluid.

The interesting/scary part was when i was removing the wheels the axle shaft and hub wanted to come with, the only thing holding it together was the calipers!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I contemplated a complete axle swap but am unable to find one locally with my ratio (4.10) and shipping from Ebay is murder! Besides, I kinda know what condition my axle is in as opposed to 'inheriting' someone else's headaches.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ksimm92 said:
I drove 20 miles down a mountain to get back to pavement in that condition. With intermittent wheel stoppage when the small parts got jammed in what was left of the gears. If we had drum brakes instead of disks it would have been a different story. Much worse story.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.