Swapping Instrument Cluster

bfairweath

Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Neenah, WI
I've been fighting an electrical gremlin for about the last six months, most of which is detailed in another post. I have reason to believe the instrument cluster is the cause. The cluster was in a funk (nearly all of the lights on, all gauges dead except speedo and tach). I gave the dash a good whack right above the cluster and everything came back!

I found a used cluster at the local salvage yard for $30. What should I expect when swapping to a used cluster from another vehicle? Will the mileage transfer over (i.e. - is it stored somewhere else). Any need to have it programmed with the VIN at the dealer?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The mileage is stored within the cluster, so you'd have to take your old one, along with the new one to get the correct mileage programmed. You may be able to find a speedo repair shop in your area that may do it cheaper. That's the route I went when I did a DIC cluster upgrade to mine.

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What he said. You can just plug it in and enjoy as-is. Just keep track of the changeover mileage so you know what mileage you really have.

We don't have such services here since it is illegal to tamper with an odometer no matter the reason but one day I will get myself a programmer to do it myself dammit.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
You can get your own cluster rebuilt, with re-soldering to correct dead odometers and replacement of all your lights and cluster motors. There are companies in both Canada and the U.S. who do this work. This way, you avoid having to reprogram mileage.

If you are in Canada, I can recommend a place who did good work for me.

bfairweath

Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Neenah, WI
I'm in the US. Yes, I've found a couple of places that rebuild the cluster, but more than I want to spend on a truck in the sunset of it's life. I'll probably just plug in the new used one and enjoy as is for the next few months (or longer if car prices don't come down).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online