Suspension/Tire Question

Hammerdown

Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I finally got around to putting stock SS springs and shocks on the front and lowered the rear with Belltech 2 inch drop springs and shocks on my 2003 Envoy. I have read about needing an alignment after changing the ride height. I won't be able to get it to the alignment shop for a couple of weeks. I'm running stock SS wheels and tires. Over the two weeks it will probably get 3-400 miles on it, will that short amount do any appreciable damage to the tires?

Thanks,
Dick

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Yea whenever the geometry is changed, it's always better to get it aligned sooner rather than later. Depending on how bad things are off will determine how bad your tires get chewed up. I'd say keep it under 100 miles if possible. Thats what I did for my SS when I lowered it so I could let the suspension settle a little bit.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
How much did it lower it? If the alignment was good before, it will be OK to drive it for a while. After you drive it a couple of days check your front tires for feathering or camber wear. You can see for yourself if it will be ok. Post a picture bro, we like pics :smile:

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
When I raised the front end with with a .5 inch spacer the alignment was so far off that the GMC label on my steering wheel was essentially perpendicular when I drove straight. I couldn't stand it and got it aligned a day later.

Hammerdown

Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I have only driven it around the block, my steering wheel is in the same straight ahead position it was before the change. From what I've read the the SS springs only lower it by an inch in front. I didn't measure before the change. If it works the picture should be below.

Dick

Attachments

• P1000989.JPG
    P1000989.JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 16

Hammerdown

Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Had a break in my schedule this morning, took the Envoy to a reputable shop for alignment check and I was told they could only adjust toe-in. Does this sound right? Haven't had one of these models before so trying to learn as I go. There must be an adjustment for camber and caster, isn't there?

Dick

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
When i got mine done at Conrads after i bought my new tires 4 years ago, they were able to adjust everything except Caster. When i went to the dealer after lowring it, they were able to adjust everything except caster as well...

here are the reports for each service...
here is Conrads
20140708_171304_zpshledstve.jpg

and here is the Dealerships after lowring it.
20140708_171631_zpsk1va48xz.jpg

hope this helps.

Hammerdown

Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks for the info. I didn't have the work done. They were only going to adjust toe and charge the full amount for the alignment. I have found that there are three bolts holding the alignment on the lower control arm, I think two allow adjustment of camber and the other is for caster. The holes are slotted so the arm can be moved for adjustment.

Dick

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online

No members online now.