Suspension Squeak

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I have a 2002 Bravada AWD, completely stock. It has aftermarket Moog lower Ball Joints (before I bought the car), new generic upper ball joints, duralast outer tie rods (about 2 years old - greased and in good condition), and new generic sway bar end links. The SBELs and Upper BJs were recently done after failing a PA inspection. I had the dealership also do an oil change while installing the upper bjs and sbels and specifically asked them to double check that everything was greased. When I got the car back the squeak that it had been developing was suddenly horrible. After some investigating I found that they didn't grease any of the SBELs, or upper BJs. I managed to do them myself. When I attempted to add grease to the lower BJs, they would not take any grease. The gun acted like it was jammed. I pushed the little "bb" valve in with a tiny screw driver and tried again to no avail. They simply will not take any grease. Every zerk fitting I could reach has been greased except the lower BJs because they won't take any grease.

Now to the reason for my post.
Since I've gotten it back from the dealer: It squeaks if you simply push on the side of the car sitting still. It squeaks like heck if you turn the wheel or go over a bump. Any body roll or turning of the wheel at all results in a squeak. My question is this: Is it possible that the lower ball joints could be the source of the squeak? Is there something I can do to get them to take grease?

I didn't try to grease them with front end off the ground (I may do so this weekend), but I'm not hopeful that will correct the problem. I did spend about a half an hour spraying virtually every moving part of the front suspension with WD40's Penetrating Oil, including sway bar bushings and the boots of every joint - in case it was something rubber. No change whatsoever. I will be doing the passenger side wheel bearing and CV shaft in the next week or two, if I haven't solved the grease problem by then I'll try pulling the zerk fitting out and make sure it's clean - other than that, what should I be trying?

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
My guess is.....It's the lower ball joints. Best fix I've found is to replace the zerks. screw out the old ones and replace and grease. Then hope that they didn't get damaged too much from lack of lube. ~BOB

Reactions: djthumper

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A-arm bushings have been known to cause squeaking noises. Very common. At that age, wouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I'd say ball joint most likely. Especially if it's not taking grease. May be bushings but they're usually not as loud, and don't squeak from turning the wheel. I'd stay away from WD-40 and rubber things as well. Not doing your bushings or grease caps any long term good that way. WD-40 will damage rubber.

Reactions: Mooseman

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the replies. I will try and get to it this weekend. I have all the parts I need to change out the passenger side wheel bearing and CV shaft. I'll be pulling the zerk out of the passenger side at least. If I can pull the driver's side zerk without breaking as well, I will do so. I read somewhere that one should try and dig out as much of the old grease as possible if you needed to pull the zerk - so that's what I'll be doing as well. I'll use a short section of safety wire and dig out what I can. I also read to flush it out using WD40 or some solvent - I won't do that in case I can't get it all out. I'll see what I can do and update when It's complete.
Thanks again for the advice....

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I ended up setting up an appointment to have my wheel hub and CV shaft done at a shop - since I rarely have the time to do major projects on the car myself, not to mention that when I attempted to do them I acquired the "correct" 35mm axle socket only to find that the nut had been replaced at some point with a 36.... so someone else can handle the headache for now. I know the cardone CV shaft comes with a 36 - and I tried to get a 36 to no avail. My guess is that this vehicle has an appetite for wheel hubs (this will be the third for me since I've owned it for almost 4 years). This will also be its second CV shaft since I've owned it - albeit on the opposite side from last time. My guess is that the previous owner had the passenger side done sometime in the past.

On to the lower ball joints:
While setting up the wheel hub / cv shaft change appointment - the owner of the shop and I got to talking and he recommended exactly what I was going to try - but with a slight twist. Instead of jacking up the entire front end (by the frame), lift the one side at a time via the lower control arm. I surmised the idea was to unload the weight off of the ball joint. Thinking he was either full of crap or my luck just wouldn't allow it - I tried it. Et voila... Passenger side lower BJ took grease after just a few tough pumps of the grease gun (with jacking it up from the lower control arm). Driver's side was a little more difficult. I ended up pulling the zerk and flushing it with grease, then digging out what I could from the BJ with a piece of wire. After a few tough pumps of the grease gun I could hear the "shmutz" being squeezed out and I could see the dust cover start to bulge.

After putting what I believe to be a satisfactory amount of grease in both lower ball joints, my squeak is gone. To my surprise, my steering has lightened up slightly as well. Everything just seems "freeer" now.

Reactions: blautens

blautens

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks - that's good feedback.

I'm rebuilding my front end right now (everything new except the steering rack) and I've noticed that although all the Raybestos Professional Grade (and AC Delco Pro, which is the same Affinia manufactured parts as the Raybestos, at least in my case) parts have Zerk fittings they say not to add grease at installation time - that they're pre-greased at the factory.

So far I've kept my grease gun at bay, but that's a really interesting trick you did.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
blautens said:
Thanks - that's good feedback.

I'm rebuilding my front end right now (everything new except the steering rack) and I've noticed that although all the Raybestos Professional Grade (and AC Delco Pro, which is the same Affinia manufactured parts as the Raybestos, at least in my case) parts have Zerk fittings they say not to add grease at installation time - that they're pre-greased at the factory.

So far I've kept my grease gun at bay, but that's a really interesting trick you did.

I'll call BS on them about not greasing. I've greased every front end part I've ever installed in the last 30+ yrs of working on cars. No such thing a joint to lubed lol. I always grease them till I get a nice bulge in the boot.

Reactions: TequilaWarrior

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Tiggerr said:
I'll call BS on them about not greasing. I've greased every front end part I've ever installed in the last 30+ yrs of working on cars. No such thing a joint to lubed lol. I always grease them till I get a nice bulge in the boot.
I agree 100%. It's not greased until the boot bulges. Hell, I've drop zerk-fitted u-joints and had them pop apart when they hit the ground, only to find out they were damn near bone dry....
I hit every zerk every chance I get - even after an install. When the boot bulges - you should be good. If it's a u-joint, I'm looking for MY grease... then I'm satisfied.

Reactions: Mounce

blautens

Jan 2, 2013
I haven't put the wheels on yet (new tires aren't mounted), and you guys got me thinking, so I went out in the garage and stuck a little pipe cleaner type thing (long story, not worth it, but it's made to pick up "evidence", if you will) in the hole for the fitting and moved it all around (these were the lower ball joints) and never found much of anything.

So I'm greasing everything tomorrow before I put the tires back on. You convinced me.

Thanks!

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
blautens said:
I haven't put the wheels on yet (new tires aren't mounted), and you guys got me thinking, so I went out in the garage and stuck a little pipe cleaner type thing (long story, not worth it, but it's made to pick up "evidence", if you will) in the hole for the fitting and moved it all around (these were the lower ball joints) and never found much of anything.

So I'm greasing everything tomorrow before I put the tires back on. You convinced me.

Thanks!
No such thing as an over lubed front end part! lol! Grease is your friend and friction/wears enemy!
Cheap too

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online