Suspension Chirp

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Happens when moving forward over even slightly uneven pavement. Doesn't happen at all over serious irregularities, e.g. speed bumps. So far as I can tell, I have an OEM setup, though without any repair history, I don't know when (or if) the shocks were changed. I'm at about 126k miles. Seems to mostly come from the right rear.

Thoughts?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Many, many control arm bushings that you can spray with WD40 one at a time to localize. They do dry out. Upper and lower rear and front control arms, rear panhard bar, and especially the anti-sway bar mounting bushings.

Also lube the threaded hood height adjusters at the front corners of the hood. They are one of the most subtle possible sources of annoying squeaks in the vehicle.

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
the roadie said:
Many, many control arm bushings that you can spray with WD40 one at a time to localize. They do dry out. Upper and lower rear and front control arms, rear panhard bar, and especially the anti-sway bar mounting bushings.

Also lube the threaded hood height adjusters at the front corners of the hood. They are one of the most subtle possible sources of annoying squeaks in the vehicle.

Thanks, but other than the hood height adjusters, how do I identify any of them visually, and how do I access them without access to a lift? I can put my hand on ramps; would that be helpful?

gsf1200m

Dec 15, 2011
I had a squeak for awhile after changing my whole suspension. All that needed to be done was turn the one of the hood adjusters out further. It was something so simple I don't know why I didn't check it earlier. With the hood completely shut, I could move it up and down slightly, but could not hear anything when I did this by hand. But I turned the adjuster out, the hood was much tighter, and the sound went away completely. Definitely something to check.

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Ray Dockrey said:
I had the same issues with my hood adjustors. Sounds silly but adjusting them fixed it.

Yes, but the noise is coming from the rear of the truck, not the hood. Now, can anyone help with my previous questions?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
UMEXT said:
Yes, but the noise is coming from the rear of the truck, not the hood. Now, can anyone help with my previous questions?
You should be able to reach any of the bushings with a can of WD40 and the spray straw that comes with it, without a lift and without ramps. Just involves laying flat on the ground. Do you need help identifying the control arms where the bushings live?

Items 7, 8, and 14.

View attachment 20251

Attachments

• 001211TS07-107.jpg
    001211TS07-107.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online