suspension/alignment/steering????

mumsvan

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Hoping I can receive some helpful input. This is my first time on a forum :smile: I own a 2002 TB with 206k (still running strong) 2 days ago I had my control arm bushings replaced. When I picked up my vehicle after hours my steering wheel was tremendously cockeyed, I'm talking the right side of the wheel was at approx in the 1:00 position. The steering also felt a little on the sloppy side along with tightness when I turned to the right. This morning I was backing out of my spot (about 90° turn) and I heard a loud bang. Got out, everything appeared normal and started on my way when I noticed my steering wheel was suddenly straight again. I zig zagged down the road a little ways and she was very responsive. I called the garage and he says something may have just fallen back into place.... does that sound normal???

My other minor but extremely annoying issue is my passenger window. At first the entire door wasn't working. Changed the door switch which took care of the lock and mirror, but the window still won't work. Changed the regulator twice (thinking the first was a defective) checked the power to the door, all fuses are okay. My dome light does not work properly and the power to the vehicle shuts down as soon as I turn my key off.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
mumsvan said:
Hoping I can receive some helpful input. This is my first time on a forum :smile:
Oh, welcome! You've found the right place. Glad you didn't wait around on trailvoy for an answer.
I own a 2002 TB with 206k (still running strong)
Just to make sure, are you current on all the normal maintenance every 100K, such as all fluids, plugs, and probably an O2 sensor if it's never been changed? Transfer case fluid changed every 50K? It's critical in these vehicles.
2 days ago I had my control arm bushings replaced.
Upper or lower? What made it necessary? Did the mechanic change the entire control arm or just press in new bushings? Any issues with tie rod ends or anti-sway bar end links, or ball joints?
When I picked up my vehicle after hours my steering wheel was tremendously cockeyed, I'm talking the right side of the wheel was at approx in the 1:00 position.
And the mechanic left it for you in that condition? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
The steering also felt a little on the sloppy side along with tightness when I turned to the right.
Unacceptable. Did they align it or recommend an alignment? Can you specify exactly what he worked on?
This morning I was backing out of my spot (about 90° turn) and I heard a loud bang.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Got out, everything appeared normal and started on my way when I noticed my steering wheel was suddenly straight again. I zig zagged down the road a little ways and she was very responsive. I called the garage and he says something may have just fallen back into place.... does that sound normal???
No. NOT AT ALL NORMAL. The mechanic is hurried, lying, or incompetent. Or some combination of the three. What's your history with them? Do they know trailblazers? Until you find someone to look into it deeper, it's a DANGEROUS situation to be driving it. NOTHING should be loose, bang into position, or change its location after repair work. There is NOTHING to fall back into place. Either there's missing mounting bolts of some suspension component, or something was jamming the components like a tool left behind, and that's also unacceptable. A competent and honest mechanic would have INSISTED that you bring it right back for a good inspection instead of making up a lie like that. If you go back to them, bring an experienced person to observe and discuss his claims of "something falling into place." Whatever is was, it may fall OUT OF PLACE, which would have a bad outcome if it happened at higher speed.
My other minor but extremely annoying issue is my passenger window. At first the entire door wasn't working. Changed the door switch
What did you replace it with? A used one?
which took care of the lock and mirror, but the window still won't work.
You can move the passenger's side switch unit (called a PDM) to the driver's side (DDM) and it should operate the window. If it doesn't, then you still have a problem with the regulator or power. If the PDM runs the driver's side regulator, then it's your new DDM that's at fault. Do you have a voltmeter and want to get into some electrical troubleshooting? Does the rear driver's window work OK?
Changed the regulator twice (thinking the first was a defective) checked the power to the door, all fuses are okay.
One of the elements is a circuit breaker, not a fuse. You need a meter to inspect a circuit breaker, since it's opaque. Did you do that?
My dome light does not work properly and the power to the vehicle shuts down as soon as I turn my key off.
That's a separate problem with the door-open sensor switch near the latch. You'll have to remove the inner door panel and get in there with some WD40 to lube it up and work on the traditional corrosion
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
That's why we volunteers hang out here! Thanks for asking interesting questions!

mumsvan

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks for the welcome Roadie... and I didn't wait too long on trailvoy :rolleyes: I signed up there this past summer mainly reading some helpful threads. I picked up a tip the other night about gmtnation and noticed you were here. Honestly, I always liked your tips as you're very thorough and helpful.

To answer your questions... I am decently up to date with normal maintenance. However, never changed my o2 sensor. I've owned my TB since 08, so I probably should huh? :redface: I had my transmission replaced with a rebuilt one last march by a very reputable person. He did all my fluids etc. It was when I brought my TB in for inspection to this other garage who is reputable (a customer of mine at the parts store), but VERY busy. He said my control arms were a little spongy. He pressed in new rear bushings. He did tell me i needed an alignment after which he doesnt do. My husband replaced the right tie rod this past summer. I did bring it back this a.m. He put it on the lift and said everything looked and felt tight. He said when he did the job he had to move the strut over and it "could" have been the coil popping back into place??? Don't know what to do at this point as i don't want to drive my 2 children around in an unsafe vehicle.

As far as the pdm, I did buy it used. I have not tried it in the driver side yet. My husband does have a voltmeter and checked the circuit breaker. There is power going everywhere and everything else does work except that window. I feel bad for him as he's becoming more mechanically inclined but he seems a little intimidated with the electrical. But you can't break something thatndoesnt work already and I don't need more garages d$cking me around. So troubleshooting??? I'm ready!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
mumsvan said:
Thanks for the welcome Roadie... and I didn't wait too long on trailvoy :rolleyes: I signed up there this past summer mainly reading some helpful threads. I picked up a tip the other night about gmtnation and noticed you were here. Honestly, I always liked your tips as you're very thorough and helpful.

To answer your questions... I am decently up to date with normal maintenance. However, never changed my o2 sensor. I've owned my TB since 08, so I probably should huh? :redface: I had my transmission replaced with a rebuilt one last march by a very reputable person. He did all my fluids etc. It was when I brought my TB in for inspection to this other garage who is reputable (a customer of mine at the parts store), but VERY busy. He said my control arms were a little spongy. He pressed in new rear bushings. He did tell me i needed an alignment after which he doesnt do. My husband replaced the right tie rod this past summer. I did bring it back this a.m. He put it on the lift and said everything looked and felt tight. He said when he did the job he had to move the strut over and it "could" have been the coil popping back into place??? Don't know what to do at this point as i don't want to drive my 2 children around in an unsafe vehicle.

As far as the pdm, I did buy it used. I have not tried it in the driver side yet. My husband does have a voltmeter and checked the circuit breaker. There is power going everywhere and everything else does work except that window. I feel bad for him as he's becoming more mechanically inclined but he seems a little intimidated with the electrical. But you can't break something thatndoesnt work already and I don't need more garages d$cking me around. So troubleshooting??? I'm ready!

Trying to make roadie blush and feel all warm inside? LOL Welcome to the site!

That doesn't sound right about having to move the strut over and the coil popping back in place. Some would have had to be loosened or he is superman...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
mumsvan said:
My husband does have a voltmeter and checked the circuit breaker. There is power going everywhere and everything else does work except that window.
That's good. There is more than one power pin on the connector, IIRC. I'll post the schematic if you or he wants to dig deeper. But first swap the PDM to the DDM location and see if the problem is the module or the power or the regulator.
I feel bad for him as he's becoming more mechanically inclined but he seems a little intimidated with the electrical. But you can't break something thatndoesnt work already and I don't need more garages d$cking me around. So troubleshooting??? I'm ready!
YOU could learn and help with the electrical troubleshooting, you know. Just a quick visit to the library and read up a couple of elementary electrical concept books and you'd be an unbeatable team. :biggrin:

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
I almost bet a lower control arm bolt wasn't tightened all the way and the adjuster moved and that's why you heard noise and now your steering wheel moved. Since you haven't had an alignment done yet, you need to get one done ASAP. Make sure they adjust your caster/camber and make sure the bolts are tightned properly. I don't see how a shop can sell suspension/steering components to people if they can't do alignments.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online