Suspending Back Wheels

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
I need keep both rear tires just above the floor so that both wheels will rotate freely during adjustment of the rear emergency brake shoes. I’d like to avoid having to floor jack the car on both sides then using two jack stands, one on each side of the rear frame. I have plenty of clearance at the rear but limited clearance on one side since the floor jack handle is too long but only small angular rotation. I’d like to place the floor jack beneath the differential lifting both rear wheels then supporting the rear using two jack stands, one on each side of the differential under the axel carrier. Would there be any safety issues with this approach?

Thanks!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've done that a number of times when working on brakes or changing the diff fluid, although I put my stands at the ends of the axles. :twocents:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've done like @Blckshdw and have also put the jack stands under the frame so as to let the diff hang down. In either case, with the jack under the diff without any weight on it, give the truck a good shake. Also chock the front wheels.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
I just wanted to make sure that my question was accurately conveyed. I wanted to lift the rear of the car using a floor jack with the lift point being the rear differential not the frame. Once lifted to the proper height then place jack stands under the axel on each side of the differential.

mooseman stated “without any weight on the differential”, give it a shake, I just thought possibly I had not clearly stated my objective. So if lifting the rear using the differential is clear please confirm. I did not want to do this unless it was not too much stress for the differential housing.

Thanks so much!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
o if lifting the rear using the differential is clear please confirm. I did not want to do this unless it was not too much stress for the differential housing.

No stress at all. This is a very common practice and the diff is strong enough to take that weight from the center as well as from each end of the tubes.

Here is what I meant. The shake test is meant as a test to be sure it won't slip off the jack stands. After lowering the diff onto the jack stands, leave the floor jack just under the center of the diff, basically at the point right after the diff is resting on the jack stands. Give the truck a shake just to be sure it won't slip off the jack stands. The floor jack is there as a "just in case". After all tests pass, you can pull the floor jack out of the way.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher