Support Group/Thread For Mod Addiction or MA

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Saturday morning I played with the DD and stuck 3 of the 4 sets of wheels on it so i can figure out what to keep and what to sell.

18 inch Vette copies in black chrome
IMG_4427.jpg

17 inch BMW aftermarkets in silver paint
IMG_4422.jpg

16 inch stock chrome
IMG_4419.jpg

Some half n half pics
IMG_4424.jpg IMG_4426.jpg

Wish the chrome 16s were bigger diameter and I think the 17 or 18 would be better in chrome with the cars color.

Attachments

• IMG_4424.jpg
    IMG_4424.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Blckshdw
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Saturday morning I played with the DD and stuck 3 of the 4 sets of wheels on it so i can figure out what to keep and what to sell.

18 inch Vette copies in black chrome
View attachment 81515

17 inch BMW aftermarkets in silver paint
View attachment 81517

16 inch stock chrome
View attachment 81518

Some half n half pics
View attachment 81519 View attachment 81520

Wish the chrome 16s were bigger diameter and I think the 17 or 18 would be better in chrome with the cars color.

The first two sets look sick. Maybe the second set painted black would be the best looking imo on that car. :2thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I like the black chrome 18s

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got an itch to play with the winter wheels and go for a retro gold/bronze/copper look like one of these....

7cc71-vi.jpg honey1.jpg honey2.jpg slp-trans-am-10th-anniversary-firehawk-road-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-9522-s-original.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think with the right gold tone it could work really well, but it could also be awful :wink: Figure the winter wheels be good to play with

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Nobody makes forged rods and pistons for the Atlas LL8 do they..? Couldn't find any info on such. I assume they'll have to be made by calling around different companies to see if they can make me a set. I did see a thread on an inline engine forum, discussing the Vortec 4200, one member was able to get them made up... pricey though..

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Found some once from a YouTube video but can't remember anything about how I found them. Iirc it was just a performance built 4.2 that wasn't being used in a 360, wish I had more info for ya. Was crazy high $$ though

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Found some once from a YouTube video but can't remember anything about how I found them. Iirc it was just a performance built 4.2 that wasn't being used in a 360, wish I had more info for ya. Was crazy high $$ though
Last I saw was $1700 on an Inline 6 forum mentioning our engine...
On the Vortec 4200 site and various other sites that discuss a boosted 4.2, it's said stock components can handle a routine 7-8lbs of boost & 450-500HP. Just trying to weigh my options here. I wasn't planning on doing crazy boost anyway.

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Conekiller had run boost without issue on his. I don't remember how much.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I thought 12 was about the limit and 15 led to boom

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I'm buying Brandon's 4.2 to build up for the Turbo. The best part is, it can sit where its been the whole time in his garage, as its beefed up over time. It'll also give me the opportunity to degrease and paint it once that's all complete before swapping it with mine.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
OK, I've been feeling left out, so I got some home modding done today. Been working on converting my empty coat closet, into a server closet, v1.0. Planned to put my home theater PC in there, the PoE switch for my cameras, and my router, running off a battery backup.

Got the electrical outlet wired up a couple weekends ago, finally ran a coax line through the attic, and have a pair of Cat 6 cables routed to the exterior walls where they'll pass through for the cameras. After I get the cameras mounted, I'll do my cable management with some zip ties to clean things up.

Down the road, I'll get version 2.0 going. I have my eye on a 2 post server rack, and a rack mount case that will let me transfer all the internals over. The switch came with brackets, so it's rack mountable too. Add a rack mount UPS to the mix, and then it will be looking perfect! But this will do for now.

IMG_20171014_202206.jpg IMG_20171014_202458.jpg

Can't use my TV as a monitor temporarily, since I still need to route a bunch of stuff across the vaulted ceiling and down the other side. Hope to get those over by the end of the weekend.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Got the DD in the shop for mods and honestly kinda excited. I cant wait to see it all dialed in n fancied up.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have a list of things I need to get back to on the truck but just have not had time.
And now I'm losing my bachelor stove for sticking headlights together. Hm, I should get that done before I lose the bachelor house stove :wink: bring the stuff to work to fiddle with over lunch breaks, then when the parts are ready take 'em to the house and bake 'em real fast. :biggrin:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Lol yeah get on that man :raspberry:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Due to my botched parking job last month, custom tail lights have made their way back onto my dusty mod list. I have a set of the chrome tail housings with clear inner lenses, but I'm not digging the chrome look on my truck at all. :no:

They're sealed with butyl, so I'm considering buying the black set, opening them up and then removing the red inner lenses. Then I can put some red/amber switchbacks in, and get some quad action going. :yes: :biggrin:

Reactions: xavierny25

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Due to my botched parking job last month, custom tail lights have made their way back onto my dusty mod list. I have a set of the chrome tail housings with clear inner lenses, but I'm not digging the chrome look on my truck at all. :no:

They're sealed with butyl, so I'm considering buying the black set, opening them up and then removing the red inner lenses. Then I can put some red/amber switchbacks in, and get some quad action going. :yes: :biggrin:
I'm with you on the chrome hate. My smoked headlights are sadly chrome on the bezels.... You couldn't tell in pictures online, only noticed in person. I was utterly disappointed when I opened the box up to see an ugly chrome bezel. I put them on the truck either way because I didn't want to pay for shipping them back and a 20% restocking fee... They aren't really noticeable when I put them in the truck. The smoked lenses really hide it unless you get up really close. I guess they grew on me, thank god they're smoked otherwise I would of gotten rid of them.
IMG_20171007_192044.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
@Capote have you painted your bumper yet? :undecided:
Disturbingly enough, no...:lipsrsealed: been like 2yrs now...... The whole truck is in need of new paint, so I figured it'll get dealt with when the truck gets some new skin. Hasn't bothered me enough to paint it beforehand really. If I had at least a carport, I would of gotten a properly sized compressor, paintgun, paint, and done the whole truck myself, but alas, I do not have such luck.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Mod bug is itching like a mofo for the Silverado and haven't even made the first official payment other than the initial payment hahaha. Next is exhaust modifications. First mod was switchbacks, second was radio and subs. Got diodes on the way for a couple sets of diode 6-hi mods for mine and others.

Would have led domes and maps but I lost my bulbs and panels after giving some to coworkers so gonna buy more I figure at this rate. Have looked everywhere I keep stuff like that and can't find them.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
My next mod is an efan setup, using a Mopar aluminum radiator.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've seen the mod with that Rad. Can't remember what model fits tho. Can't be cheap with the all aluminum Rad.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I've seen the mod with that Rad. Can't remember what model fits tho. Can't be cheap with the all aluminum Rad.
$324 for the one I got saved.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Started pricing out components for a custom tail light mod. :hopeless: 138 LEDs, 4 control modules, 8 PCBs, 2 OEM pigtails, and a set of aftermarket tails make the grocery list...
And then I looked at the price... :diggrave::whiteflag: lol, maybe with my tax refund. Maybe... :undecided:

Reactions: Capote

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
capote I like your smoked headlight with chrome...it would match my tails. Where did you get them. I may as well have 6 sets of likes...

MOD bug has bitten me again, but with the DD since it is at the body shop. I think its getting new air filter, but washable this time with the SLP lid and an electronic exhaust cutout so I can rumble when i want.

Then it is time to figure out the wheels n tires finally. I have 4 sets but need to narrow down. I have stock wheels in silver with snow tires that stay around. I have stock chrome 16s that desperately need neew tires, but polished up excellently. I have silver 17s off a BMW with brans new Vogue tires that drive-out well, but I dont like the offset and silver fully. I have the black chrome 18s with enough miles that tires are becoming a thought. Like them, but my dark paint screams for more brightness in the wheelwell IMO. I debate trying to go gold or copper on the 17s in the bandit theme since they dont thrill me anyway but are a classic 5 spoke that might just work.

Damn mod bugs...

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I e-mailed EMTechMotorSports about a possible production of custom cams, being that a few of us are planning Turbo builds currently or in the near future. Figured i'd let you gents know :tiphat:
@Traz

Reactions: littleblazer

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You are a gentleman and a scholar:celebrate:
I got a response from them today:
"Aaron,
Most likely yes. I'd need to find another machine shop to do the blanks as the last one went bust during the oil field crash. What I would supply is 8620 billet steel cam blanks - these are what a cam company like Comp needs to make cams. To make it worth while we would need to make 10 set (10 intake and 10 exhaust). 5 years ago the price was US$550/pair. I'd need to get current pricing on time and material before committing to a current price. Let know where you want to go with this.
-Marc"

So, we would need atleast 10 guys to get this going so he would be able to figure out the logistics of everything.

SOB...finally got DTD to ship me tires I ordered on 11-29-17. Now I want new wheels for them. Addiction is a bitch
You're the wheel and tire king :raspberry:

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I got a response from them today:
"Aaron,
Most likely yes. I'd need to find another machine shop to do the blanks as the last one went bust during the oil field crash. What I would supply is 8620 billet steel cam blanks - these are what a cam company like Comp needs to make cams. To make it worth while we would need to make 10 set (10 intake and 10 exhaust). 5 years ago the price was US$550/pair. I'd need to get current pricing on time and material before committing to a current price. Let know where you want to go with this.
-Marc"

So, we would need atleast 10 guys to get this going so he would be able to figure out the logistics of everything.

You're the wheel and tire king :raspberry:
All things considered you're looking at say $1100ish for a set of cams? Actually not terrible. I think a set of cams for a coyote are something to the tune of $1500 for an off the shelf variety. Problem will be getting the logistics sorted out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online