Super or turbo 4200? HORSEPOWER

AaronJefferson

Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Georgia
I joined this forum in order to attempt to obtain information on upgrading the horsepower, appearance, and performance of my 2002 GMC envoy. It is a reincartion of my previous, which went to he'll and back, enabling my survival of a head on collision with a 2011 freightliner... I want to really deck this one out since it is extremely sentimental due to the circumstances it pulled me through. O am having trouble finding parts to increase horsepower on the 4200 and when I inquired about a custom 5.3 motor swap including new trans and nearing 475 HP, was told it would be approx $10500!! Any help would be greatly appreciated

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Both, supercharged and turobed, solutions would be custom set ups. There are no premade kits around. There have been a couple people that have done setups like this but definitely weren't cheap or quick. They involved quite a bit of fab work. A 5.3 swap is possible. Seen a few people talk about it. I believe it has always been discussed as not being cost efficient. There is more that can be done with a 5.3 though. That high price is just mostly labor cost with the exception of a few pricey parts. If you browse through the build forums, there are some examples in there.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
This topic has come up a few times on the forum, like stated above it's more cost-efficient to buy a GMT360 with a 5.3L in it already vs. buying the motor and doing a swap. I'm right there with you wanting more power; I've done all I can to get every bit of power possible out of our platform without a swap or attempt at a turbo build. My truck is sure quick, but i'm hungry for more.
As far as turbo's, it can most certainly be done. A turbo build was successfully done on an Envoy by one of our members: https://www.youtube.com/user/ConeKillerAUTOx11/videos
It was no easy task though, a lot of custom fabrication, and he went way over his $1500 budget.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Custom builds usually are better than kit stuff anyway! At least, as an onlooker they're more fun to watch the process :biggrin:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Definitely get one with the 5.3L already in the truck. Way cheaper, and you've got a headstart.

Easiest way, since you like Envoys, is to find a used Denali - and you can get them in SWB. Most of the non-Denali's that have a V8 are in XLs (LWB), or in Trailblazer SS' - which cost a small fortune. You'll still pay more for a Denali, relative to it's non-Denali cousins - but in the long run, you'll save money, time, and headache.

AaronJefferson

Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Georgia
I guess I'm so stuck on this year and model because it's sentimental... It's a reincarnation of the one that saved my life in 2011 when involved in a headon collision with a tractor trailer

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If I had a truck that saved my life like that, I'd have the same confidence in getting another one like it too. Unfortunately the choices with the I6 are limited.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online