Super charger

Pondscum3310

Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
Houston, TX
I have a 2000 chevy silverado with a 5.3L in it. Everything is stock in it. This is a play truck not a daily driver. I was playing around with the idea of putting a small super charger on it. I think with some research I could do it but my question is, is it just throwing a SC on it or are there other things I have to upgrade in order to be able to safely have one on it?

Thanks in advance

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I have a 2000 chevy silverado with a 5.3L in it. Everything is stock in it. This is a play truck not a daily driver. I was playing around with the idea of putting a small super charger on it. I think with some research I could do it but my question is, is it just throwing a SC on it or are there other things I have to upgrade in order to be able to safely have one on it?

Thanks in advance
When doing forced induction you're gonna wanna make sure the engine is up to par to handle the extra HP and heat that is going to be generated. IMO you should tear the motor down and put some forged internals, tri-metal bearings, new seals, new timing chain kit, port & polish the head, etc., etc., etc. A good Turbo or Supercharger are expensive components, so it's best to invest time and money on the engine too. I will at some-point get around to actually starting the Turbo build on my TB and the spare 4.2 motor I have is going to be rebuilt and be as fresh as can be. Oh and I think it'd be wise to beef up the trans as well, make sure it can handle the future horsepower added.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It really does depend on how far you're going with it.

Stock internals could handle some. How much, I don't know. But push more than just a couple pounds on that supercharger and I'd be looking at upgrades, and how much internal upgrades would be determined in part by just how much power you're going for. So... basically, if you're doing enough to make it really worthwhile, you're going to be doing some upgrades!

Or, you could stick one on there, and see just how long the stock stuff lasts before it blows up! Then build something strong.

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Pfft the stock LS motors can handle a considerable amount without mods. Check out Sloppy Mechanics on YouTube. He has worked on and only one or twice found the limit on factory internals. Biggest thing you'll have to upgrade is fuel and tuning.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online