Sunroof stuck open

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
My buddies fiance opened the sunroof while it was frozen. Now it wont shut. I told him id post this for him. Any suggestions?? Can u manually close it?? I don't know chit about these sunroofs.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Did he check the fuse in the rear fuse box? (#20 for the SWB, #28 for the LWB)
The service manual say nothing about a way to manually close it and the motor and control module are both above the head liner.

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
He says the motor still works. I guess its only open an inch or so. But when he opens it a little and tries to close it ....it makes a popping noise.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sounds like the splines in the motor/actuator or the drive gear on the sunroof module assembly are stripped.

Dropping the headliner is probably going to be needed. You might want to wait, there might be someone that has had that problem.

In the mean time did he try pushing the sliding top closed while hitting the switch to close it?

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Sounds like the splines in the motor/actuator or the drive gear on the sunroof module assembly are stripped.

Dropping the headliner is probably going to be needed. You might want to wait, there might be someone that has had that problem.

In the mean time did he try pushing the sliding top closed while hitting the switch to close it?

You mean push the glass shut while pressing the button at the same time?? Yea but he didnt wanna push too hard and break it. Btw this is on a buick ranier.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
jrSS said:
You mean push the glass shut while pressing the button at the same time?? Yea but he didnt wanna push too hard and break it. Btw this is on a buick ranier.
I think someone just went through this and had a problem with the cable. I'm pretty sure there was some diagrams posted as well. might have been Hatchet or Ryda55555, can't remember.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Another member did recently have this problem. If I am remembering correctly, he had to drop the headliner, and there was a gear in there that you can turn to manually close the roof.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
If you drop the head liner and remove the motor, you should be able to manually close the window. The head liner is a huge pain in the ass. It sounds like it could be a few things. Possibly broke one of the connecting arms in the rails.

http://gmtnation.com/f23/how-repair-sunroof-324/

I have alot of info and pictures in that thread o what to look for.

But if the motor is still working, I would try to help the glass along as your holding the button, just dont do it to hard. If you can get it closed you might be able to see if any of the parts are broken in the rails.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online