Sunroof started making a loud clunking sound when opened

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Opened the sunroof today and it was making a loud clunking sound and wouldnt close all the way
Sprayed wd-40 in the hinges and managed to get it closed properly but i dont want to open it just incase it gets stuck open again
What should i do? Will recalibrating it work? Because the garage that replaced my thermostat left my battery unplugged for a while and it reset everything. It was working fine before the winter.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Ryda55555 said:
Opened the sunroof today and it was making a loud clunking sound and wouldnt close all the way
Sprayed wd-40 in the hinges and managed to get it closed properly but i dont want to open it just incase it gets stuck open again
What should i do? Will recalibrating it work? Because the garage that replaced my thermostat left my battery unplugged for a while and it reset everything. It was working fine before the winter.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Just wanted to mention if it needs lube then grease may be better choice than WD-40, grease will stick n wd-40 just washes it all away. Maybe just a lack of lube...

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
I hope so, im gunna try and figure it out tomorrow, i want to try and save as much $ as i can though
Saving up for something.... Nicer :biggrin:

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Hope you didnt break one of the arms. I had the same issue and the loud clunk was a arm breaking. I did same thing and was able to get it closed and sealed.

If you open it again to grease the tracks or what ever, watch the glass and see if one side is opening faster then the other. Like one side is dragging behind. If so you need a repair.

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Hatchet said:
Hope you didnt break one of the arms. I had the same issue and the loud clunk was a arm breaking. I did same thing and was able to get it closed and sealed.

If you open it again to grease the tracks or what ever, watch the glass and see if one side is opening faster then the other. Like one side is dragging behind. If so you need a repair.

I guess i've got a broken arm..... Hahaha driver side closes a lot slower than the passenger
How much did it cost you to repair?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Any recommendations for what grease to use for maintenance purposes?

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Its been a while but what they sent was i think axle grease. I just pull out my grease gun and squirt a little bit of that in there and use an old rag to spread it.

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Okay so i got my sunroof aligned properly but it still makes a very annoying sound. The body shop wants $100 for parts and $500 for labor..... The stealership had 16 cars ahead of me and couldnt take me for a couple days so i said screw it.
I recorded the sound, the mechanic at the auto shop said it was a gear that came loose and is a simple fix, but to charge me $500 labor on a simple fix doesnt sound simple

[video=youtube_share;km6i-AYIgKI]http://youtu.be/km6i-AYIgKI[/video]

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
It could be one of the gears. I believe there are 3 of them. 1 on the motor and 2 at the attachment here in the pic.

DSC05575.jpg

That hole is where the gear for the motor attaches to. Then if I remember correctly there are 2 gears inside of there. One for each traveler. You can access it yourself but it will still be difficult to check. You need to drop the head liner (Since there are wires glued to it you cant really pull it out easily.) and you would have access to the motor. Just undo the 3 screws and it would come out for you to see of any of them are chewed up.

DSC05574.jpg

Thats the only gears I know of in there. And it is a bit of work just to check to see if that is the issue. But it could make sense why one side was leading the other and the gear stripping sounds.

If (and I only mean if) it is one of the gears I am not sure how you would go about replacing it. I would imagine the one attached to the motor could be replaced, but the other gears I have no idea.

Sorry that's all I got for right now.

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
jrSS said:
Just don't use the sunroof. Easy fix. :biggrin::tongue:

But i like opening the sunroof..... :frown:
Lol im just gunna use it until it breaks and then i'll pay the $500 to get it fixed, if it aint broke dont fix it

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online