Sunroof glass question

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hi Everyone. I am trying to find out if the glass in my Sunroof can be replaced without removing the headliner and the associated bracketry, etc? I am dreading what I have a feeling the answer might be. :sadcry:

Assuming worst case, that I have to deconstruct the top of the vehicle just to replace the sunroof glass. And putting aside any specific knowledge of the mechanism(s), is this something that I can physically do myself in terms of the actual removal and reinstallation of parts or is another set of hands definitely required to remove or reinstall anything such as the headliner or any other parts?

I only ask because I do not have anyone to help and given that it rains daily around this dump of a state and this is now my daily driver for a while, it's a must fix for me.

Thank You in advance for any information amigos!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I did it without taking down the headliner. With the sunroof closed, Remove the 4 screws and push it out.

Reactions: jmonica
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I did it without taking down the headliner. With the sunroof closed, Remove the 4 screws and push it out.
:iagree:

Close the sunroof, keep the moonroof open and you'll see four screws (one per corner). Once these are removed, the glass pushes straight out. I had to remove mine this way to fix the parts that ride in the rails (the name of this part escapes me).

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
One person can do the job. The headliner does have to come down.

Is the glass broken?
Hi Thank You for your reply, Yes the glass is broken. There's a tennis ball sized hole and the rest is cracked all over the way tempered glass is supposed to I guess. I started driving and the first corner i turned I heard what sounded like pebbles sliding around in the headliner. Slid open the moonroof cover and that's when I realized what had happened. I live near a golf course and I am constantly finding golf balls on my deck and in our yard, so I am going to write it off as the cause, but I don't know,
The vehicle has been sitting out of commission for a while so either I didn't notice it the last time I drove it two months ago or it happened while sitting in my driveway either by golf ball or vandalism. It's had a a flat tire for a while and I share a driveway with the townhouse next to me., so maybe my neighbor got pissed off because they felt it was an eye sore. I really hope not for his sake. I am a forgiving person, but it is hard to let deliberate destruction of your property go if you did nothing to deserve it.

I appreciate your reply. It is only the glass being cracked that's the problem so I am hoping that as some of the other replies indicate that I can squeak by without having to take the headliner down, but I will be prepared for it should I have to. I will post back my results.

Thanks again!

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Ahhh Hi Mooseman! How's it going? I'm back to working on the Envoy. Now that the Covid disaster seems to be on the decline (fingers crossed!), things are starting to open up again and I'm back to work and so I need to get the Envoy back in action. Of course this is the first and only place I've come for help as always! Really glad to see that you are still here and active. I missed this place! Thank You for your reply, That's the answer I was hoping for. :smile:

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
:iagree:

Close the sunroof, keep the moonroof open and you'll see four screws (one per corner). Once these are removed, the glass pushes straight out. I had to remove mine this way to fix the parts that ride in the rails (the name of this part escapes me).
AWESOME! Thanks very much for the info and instruction. You are a prince amongst men and I appreciate you taking the time to help me Mate! :smile:

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Sorry about the incorrect info. I remember now, my sunroof was stuck in the open position. So the headliner had to be removed. I removed the glass and the entire frame. Would be very happy just to have a filler panel installed and permanently eliminate the sun roof.

I've been searching online for a filler panel, but no luck yet.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm not a fan of sunroofs neither. Just another place for a leak or breakage. I don't have one in this TB and as a bonus, I have extra head room. I have one in the Avy and hardly ever use it. To me, it's just a noise maker.

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
And all the hardware weighs a ton. The DVD player and the steel, glass and electronics for the sunroof. Who knows what it adds up to (75 pounds maybe?) I noticed my TB cornered much flatter after it was all removed.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I agree. Im Not a fan of sunroofs. About the only time I’ve used it in 16 years wad maybe twice at night in the summertime.
I had T-Tops back in the day and another car that you could remove the center section of the roof and both of those were when in Sunny California and never uses them then either. Also would never buy a convertible. Hmmm maybe I’m like a hermit and on wheels and never realized it.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I love my sunroof in my XUV, although it does need some repair. Use it daily, weather permitting..

My Aztek also has a sunroof, but it was a aftermarket install.. Now that one I hate!

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hehe Why the loathing of the Aztec Sunroof?
BTW, I’m replacing the sunroof glass only tonight so I will post pics and any tips on the forum on the off chance that I have any hints to offer after I’m done.

The one and only thing I could find info on to replace just the glass and not the associated mechanism and parts was a video online for a Volvo SUV of all things. Plenty of help out there if you need to replace the tracks, motors etc though. Thanks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Its aftermarket, so the factory roof bracing was cut for the sunroof, and it just doesnt have the fit and finish of a factory roof. Headliner is all weird too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online