Suggestions on removing Side molding strips

Djordan2

Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
So I have decided to remove my Side Molding strips on the outside of my TB my Question would be. Does anyone have any decent methods for removing them without
Messing up my Paint.. also What to expect when they are off.. Will there be a difference in paint color due to fading.. ? What would you reccomend for removing the 3m tape
residue left on the truck (if any)

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I just pulled mine off lol some people say to use a blow dryer or wait for a warm day to loosen the adhesives, then use a fishing string and pen to save fingers and to gently work it off. I did none of those things. I lifted one side enough to where I could get my fingers under and slowly just pulled them off. I didn't damage anything.

You will want an adhesive remover... Goof off I think is what we used, your going to want to use that to remove what's left of the adhesive on the truck. My husband used it when he helped me on one side, and I didn't use anything but my fingers on the other side and I was actually done before he was. You will also want to give the truck a good wash and wax to buff out any lines that may be on the sides. I haven't done any of that yet...I can barely see the lines, but they are there...It's just to cold or to wet to do much with the truck right now so I'm leaving it alone.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Agree I did the same thing to my old TB. Just pulled right off but u will need to remove that leftover adhesive as stated. Your truck will have much cleaner look after removing side moldings

TrailBlazn420

Dec 4, 2011
I've heard that fishing line can scratch the paint. Personally, I used dental floss and quadrupled it up, tied each side to a Bic pen and used it like one of those PVC 'rope saws' that they use to cut pipe underground. I had the body-colored molding, so it was flexible. After doing the first one and seeing how long it was going to take, I just tried pulling it off. That worked a lot quicker, but left a lot more adhesive tape. I just used my thumb and fingers to rub the tape off, but got a wicked blister doing that. My molding had been on for 10 years by the time I took it off, so there was a super thin (I'm talking 0.5mm) 'outline' where the molding had been, I assume from years of dirt sitting on the paint and 'staining' the top layer. I used some Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 and a micro-fiber cloth to remove the lines with a lot of elbow grease. Wash and wax, and you should be golden. After 10 years, there was ZERO fading of the paint when compared to the covered up section, all around.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
I just pulled mine off lol some people say to use a blow dryer or wait for a warm day to loosen the adhesives, then use a fishing string and pen to save fingers and to gently work it off. I did none of those things. I lifted one side enough to where I could get my fingers under and slowly just pulled them off. I didn't damage anything.

You will want an adhesive remover... Goof off I think is what we used, your going to want to use that to remove what's left of the adhesive on the truck. My husband used it when he helped me on one side, and I didn't use anything but my fingers on the other side and I was actually done before he was. You will also want to give the truck a good wash and wax to buff out any lines that may be on the sides. I haven't done any of that yet...I can barely see the lines, but they are there...It's just to cold or to wet to do much with the truck right now so I'm leaving it alone.

^^^This, then a wash and buff with polishing compound to remove the lines.

Djordan2 said:
What to expect when they are off....

Longer walks in parking lots to avoid dings

airwolf9721

Apr 9, 2012
I've seen that you just need a plastic putty knife and some "Goo-Be-Gone". just let the goobegone set for a few min then use the putty knife to scrape the adhesive off.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
airwolf9721 said:
I've seen that you just need a plastic putty knife and some "Goo-Be-Gone". just let the goobegone set for a few min then use the putty knife to scrape the adhesive off.

Thats the way I did it. Did some some small scratches from the putty knife though. Course I did it in November when it was cold :confused:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Finally took mine off this weekend and took some pics for prosperity.

Before shots with molding on...

I just grabbed the edge and pulled slowly.

It left some adhesive, but I used a wet towel and some scrubbing as well as a plastic gas station convienece card to scrape off some of the bigger chunks.

This was what needed scrubbed off.

These little lines were left after scrubbing

I was not sure the best way to get them off, but decided the least work was to use some car wash/wax liquid soap on the cheap old basic buffer I had in the garage. Worked well and was easy.

I think it turned out well.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Finally took mine off this weekend and took some pics for prosperity.

Before shots with molding on...

I just grabbed the edge and pulled slowly.

It left some adhesive, but I used a wet towel and some scrubbing as well as a plastic gas station convienece card to scrape off some of the bigger chunks.

This was what needed scrubbed off.

These little lines were left after scrubbing

I was not sure the best way to get them off, but decided the least work was to use some car wash/wax liquid soap on the cheap old basic buffer I had in the garage. Worked well and was easy.

I think it turned out well.

Nice work! It definitely looks much better with em off :thumbsup:

paulcmartin

May 13, 2013
I just did mine. It was really easy, they pulled right off. I used some goo gone & sprayed the tape. I let it sit for ten minutes & I was able to pull the remaining adhesive off. Then I buffed with polish a few times and smoothed the look out of my doors. There is still a light residue remaining, but it's really not noticeable.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher