Suggestions on new rear shocks

zip7111

Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Hello,
Looking to replace my rear shocks. I have an 05 with the original shocks still installed and they are getting a little soft. Not looking to spend the money on the Bilstein shocks. I have new Monroe quick struts up front. Looking at Monroe in the rear or AC Delco professional. Any opinions on these? Thanks.

Chemman

Jul 13, 2013
Maryland
Several years ago I put Monroe Sensa-Trac shock on the rear of my 2004 TrailBlazer and I have been very happy with them. I also had Monroe Sensa-Rac quick struts installed on my front, and I've been happy with those as well.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I just put 2 ACD Pros on the back of my work van. 1st 3 or 4 days i thought I was driving a cadillac, now the rear end is bouncing like a trampoline. Im thinking 1 is defective or I got screwed by mislabled cheap knock offs. Leaning more to 1 being defective cus seems like the cheap ones would have bounced from Day 1...

wormwood1978

Jan 3, 2015
Hello,
Looking to replace my rear shocks. I have an 05 with the original shocks still installed and they are getting a little soft. Not looking to spend the money on the Bilstein shocks. I have new Monroe quick struts up front. Looking at Monroe in the rear or AC Delco professional. Any opinions on these? Thanks.

2008 Trailblazer, I put on Monroe Reflex shocks from Advance Auto Parts in 2015 for $87. I thought they were decent. I recently replaced them 28,000 miles later with Bilsteins from RockAuto for $147 for the pair. The Bilsteins are better and worth the extra money although I don't have any specific complaints on the Monroe Reflexes.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
If you're looking for something middle ground, go with the KYB Gas-a-Just in the rears. They're a good balance if you don't want a too firm or too soft ride. The quick struts (from experience) are pretty meh, I ended up using a Monroe OESpectrum strut with the slightly firm Moog spring combination. Its not bad, but I'm noticing that the fronts are getting soft. I'm thinking of going Bilsteins for the front next summer. Monroe's are a good cheap option, but ride wise I'm not super impressed with them. Now that I've got about 20k on the front struts, I'm definitely looking forward to swapping them out.

zip7111

Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I ended up getting a pair of the KYB shocks at Rockauto for 18 bucks each on close out. I don’t have any experience with this brand. They were hard to pass up for that price.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
KYB's are fine. Saw that price and jumped over to order 2 myself......only 1 left ofcourse....lol

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
If you like the soft/floaty ride with the OEM shocks, the KYB Excel G is pretty much near identical. Well maybe a very tiny hair firmer, and thats not by much. When I ran them in my Extended Trailblazer, they actually road very well. Downside was the body roll going around corners, despite the new sway bar bushings and links 😂 but they're a pretty good brand.

Otherwise for $18, they are worth it if you want an extra set, or wanna feel experimental and swap between different sets to see which which ride quality you like the most.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online