NEED HELP Suggestions for sound system!

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'm looking at getting some subs for the Trailblazer. Looking to spend no more than $250 That's including AMP, Subs, and Harness. I was browsing Crutchfield and found a few Packages I'm thinking on.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700BPKK3/Kicker-150-Watt-Bass-Package.html?tp=61893

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700BPKK1/Kicker-300-Watt-Bass-Package.html?tp=61893

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236TNP112D/MTX-TNP112D.html?tp=61893

It also has to be removable for when I go on wheeling trip and need room to put my tent, cooler, etc... in the Trailblazer

This is all new to me and I don't understand a lot of this. If you have any other suggestions please don't hesitate to post.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
In an effort to not sound condescending, and also not speak another language to you, can you fill us in on just how much of this stuff you do understand?

The first link, is a package I suggested a friend of mine get, as he was after some thump on the cheap. I wasn't terribly impressed, then again I have two 12"s in my truck. But he wasn't very happy either. With the amp turned up near the max, it ran super hot. Like too hot to touch, hot. On occasion it would go into thermal protection mode and shut down until it cooled off. This was with using a factory ground in the trunk, and an 8 AWG wiring kit.

So I would take the 300W Kicker system over the 150W one, for that extra $30. :twocents:

Edit: Also, the amp was mounted to the box, so it could be removable in 1 step, and just tuck the wiring away (tape the end of the hot cable from the battery) when needed.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I have the kicker amp (300.1) running an old... old RadioShack band pass 8 inch sub... it does what you'd expect, crossed over at about 80 hz on top. It doesn't even get warm unlike the full range under my seat I use as a seat heater.:whistle: they're matched rms wise and thus sound pretty good (The home setup blows ir clear out of the wate bUT that id to be expected). As far as suggestions go I have no clue but can say it's a decent amp.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Instead of having a removable setup, why not go with a stealth box that mounts to the passenger side rear quarter panel. It takes up minimal space and depending on the design, can accommodate either an 8", 10", or 12" sub depending on how much bass you are looking for.

You can install your amp in the floor under the hatch of the cargo area. With that setup, you would loose minimal cargo space and under the floor storage space, and not have to worry about removing you audio setup when you go on wheeling trips.

If you need the under floor cargo space, you could always mount the amp to the back of the rear seat and then remove the amp when a trip comes around and the stealth box would remain in place.

Just another option to think about.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Yeah I know pretty much nothing lol all my friends have good sounding systems but they are all outta my budget... I take it a 12" has more bass than a 10"

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Yeah I know pretty much nothing lol all my friends have good sounding systems but they are all outta my budget... I take it a 12" has more bass than a 10"

Consider going with used gear instead of new for the most bump for your buck. Let your friends guess what you have after hearing it. Then watch their jaw drop when they see it is only one 10.

Slightly over the set budget. If your interested, i got a JL Audio 10w7 in a JL High Output box paired with a JL 500/1 amp. Amp can used with either a low level input from an aftermarket head unit or high level from a factory head unit. I will let them go for $325+shipping. I do not expect shipping to be cheap. Competition quality for about 1/3 the cost of new. Hits hard and accurate. Comparable to two average twelves in sound output.

Cone separated from the surround and was ghetto repaired by myself with a two part epoxy. Played perfect for a year after the repair before being replaced by a JL 13W7 and a 1000/1 in a slot port box. Put some grill cloth over the opening and no one would ever see the repair.

100_1312.jpg

100_1310.jpg

The 13w7, 1000/1, and slot port box are available too but would be way over the set budget. This setup is responsible for my ears ringing for the rest of my life. Hits crazy hard and low. Comparable to two 15's or one 18 in sound output.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Consider going with used gear instead of new for the most bump for your buck. Let your friends guess what you have after hearing it. Then watch their jaw drop when they see it is only one 10.

Slightly over the set budget. If your interested, i got a JL Audio 10w7 in a JL High Output box paired with a JL 500/1 amp. Amp can used with either a low level input from an aftermarket head unit or high level from a factory head unit. I will let them go for $325+shipping. I do not expect shipping to be cheap. Competition quality for about 1/3 the cost of new. Hits hard and accurate. Comparable to two average twelves in sound output.

Cone separated from the surround and was ghetto repaired by myself with a two part epoxy. Played perfect for a year after the repair before being replaced by a JL 13W7 and a 1000/1 in a slot port box. Put some grill cloth over the opening and no one would ever see the repair.

100_1312.jpg

100_1310.jpg

The 13w7, 1000/1, and slot port box are available too but would be way over the set budget. This setup is responsible for my ears ringing for the rest of my life. Hits crazy hard and low. Comparable to two 15's or one 18 in sound output.
fyi here is a site that sells JL repair kits. I have a JL 10w3 v1 That JL no longer repairs and sent me to this site http://www.simplyspeakers.com/jl-audio-speaker-repair-foam-edge-kits.html

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
I would honestly suggest saving up till you can at least double your budget, sound systems are like computers (or graphics cards in particular), the entry level stuff is often no better (or just a tiny bit better) then what is already there to start with.

start with a good headunit, which between the headunit and harness (depending on the trim level of the truck) could cost you most of your budget, a good starting point is to start with a radio with at least 4 volt rca preouts (with a dedicated subwoofer preout) and build from there as your budget allows.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Do you want strong added bass or do you want it to thump and make your gut shake?

For overall music and not shaking the car next to you, I would suggest a sealed box. For deeper bass that you want to rattle windows in the car next to you then maybe a ported box.

Ported boxes play louder but at generally a narrower frequency range. I do like some JL subs....real nice and always sound good to my ears anyway.

You could get a ported box and experiment in placement, against the rear seat firing backwards may give you deeper bass than firing forward...trial and error. You will need more amp for a sealed box to play as loud as a good, tuned ported setup.

In the end, you should up the ante for quality gear as accurate bass comes at a cost...don't throw down $250-300 wishing you spent the extra $50-100. Then you need to resell what didn't workout.

Craigslist is a great idea, there are people unloading their gear at great prices. Alpine V amps are a good amp and I see them alot. A dedicated JL setup is where I would look first.

Man, this thread is taking me back to particle board and fleckstone spray....lol.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I second the idea of mounting that sh!t stealthy in your ride. Easier to snatch out otherwise. Alarms won't do any good if the equipment is loose. :twocents:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I second the idea of mounting that sh!t stealthy in your ride. Easier to snatch out otherwise. Alarms won't do any good if the equipment is loose. :twocents:

Oh absolutely...ask my buddy who lost his dual 10" nakamichi subs and 2 mono Nak amps....custom ported box, they sounded sooo sweet.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR