Suggested and Recommended Bluetooth ObdII

pennywise

Mar 28, 2012
I just got one of these. It took a little while to get it to work with my bluetooth on the phone, the passcode that came with it was wrong. It works great though. I wanted to get codes but wound up sitting in the driveway for about an hour playing with all the features on torque.

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
I have a PLX Kiwi Bluetooth. They cost about 3 times as much as the cheap Chinese adapters, but it has never melted, stopped working,or had any other problem.

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
rzawora said:
Any of these things available for an iPhone? It's jailbroken if that matters.

I believe the adapters will work with the iPhone. But unfortunately I think the only iPhone app available is quite expensive compared to the Android options.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
SAR85 said:
I believe the adapters will work with the iPhone. But unfortunately I think the only iPhone app available is quite expensive compared to the Android options.

:hissyfit: the one and only time I wish I had an Android phone. :rotfl:
Any idea of the name of the App so I can check pricing and stuff?

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
rzawora said:
:hissyfit: the one and only time I wish I had an Android phone. :rotfl:
Any idea of the name of the App so I can check pricing and stuff?

Okay, so a quick search shows a lot of options software wise, most seem to require a WIFI OBDII connector, which I know is available online. My question is does anybody have recommendations to any of the software options?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, has to be wifi because Apple, in their infinite wisdom, will not allow a serial connection through Bluetooth. I went with Android for this and other similar reasons. Torque app in Android is the best.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Mooseman said:
Yep, has to be wifi because Apple, in their infinite wisdom, will not allow a serial connection through Bluetooth. I went with Android for this and other similar reasons. Torque app in Android is the best.

I honestly dislike Apple as a company and I'm much more of a Google fan. However, I find the iPhone much easier to use then the Androids I've had so I stick with it. I use it for my work and there are custom programs written to make my life easier that aren't available on Android. Wish I would have kept one of my Android phones to use just for this, but I gave both of them away. :frown:
Anyone have a recommended iPhone app similar to Torque?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The above looks like the one I have. Been using it for at least 12 months and haven't had a problem with it at all.

rza, looking at the app store, it seems to me that there are only 3 available (from a quick search). Dash Command looks to be the best of a bad bunch. I have Torque with the android and have to say, Apple users are getting bent over with app prices.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Matt said:
The above looks like the one I have. Been using it for at least 12 months and haven't had a problem with it at all.

rza, looking at the app store, it seems to me that there are only 3 available (from a quick search). Dash Command looks to be the best of a bad bunch. I have Torque with the android and have to say, Apple users are getting bent over with app prices.

Thanks The Bad and Matt, I'll look into it. I don't think I really need it, but it would be nice to have. :yes:

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Yet another vote for the ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter and Torque application on my Droid 3. Awesome real-time info.

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Has anyone seen these available at automotive stores/best buy? did a quick search of a few sites and it looks like they are only available on-line. No lunch plans for today and a little Christmas cash burning a hole in my pocket.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Uncle Blazer said:
Has anyone seen these available at automotive stores/best buy? did a quick search of a few sites and it looks like they are only available on-line. No lunch plans for today and a little Christmas cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Bought my ELM327 off eBay for like $20 shipped. Had it for over a year and a half now and works flawlessly. The markup at an auto store or Best Buy would be ridiculous. Torque also has GM Pids which allows for trans temp info and a lot of other nifty features.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
The markup at an auto store or Best Buy would be ridiculous.
:iagree: In the unlikely event you would find one locally, it would cost way more than $20

Taz6056

Dec 21, 2011
For what it's worth I'm also jailbroken, and was given an elm327 reader for Xmas. I have used it with dash command, with minimal success. The app is slow, limited in its information and on one of my work vans didn't even clear an engine code. While it did read the proper code, it was unable to clear it. I'm not sure if the problem is the app, the elm327, or the jailbroken iPhone, but overall I'm unimpressed. I also have access to a few android device and the elm327 works much better with the Torque app.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.