Suburban vs Yukon XL vs... :/ Expedition

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Members can't edit posts after 10 minutes or so.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
^^^ Is that new? I've definitely edited a few posts later than that, in the past. I guess I'll test with this one :smile:

(1:40pm CT - I just edited. Via laptop, using Chrome (but I've never had a problem via mobile, either.)

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Been that way for a long time AFAIK.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It was when one member went back and changed a ton of his posts that it got the nod and became policy. It was never an issue until then.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This will be something for the admins to look into. @Jman423

I merged your last 2 posts, before realizing what you were trying to do...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Huh? Strange. I'll check on this with the others.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
This will be something for the admins to look into. @Jman423
I merged your last 2 posts, before realizing what you were trying to do...

No worries and sorry. I should've added context the first time :smile:

Huh? Strange. I'll check on this with the others.

Thanks. I can post in the problem section if you want. And honestly, other than using a different pc, I've not troubleshot.

And bringing it around. We are now the owner of the Suburban. Since our purchase of the Yukon, they've added a group of CU's which got us a lower interest rate. At the end of the day though, I think we came out a wash for final price since we did eat some of the cost of our original down payment. But I think the burb is much nicer than the the Yukon was, not just in options but condition. Even with ~10k more miles.

Now to the important stuff

Maintenance / Add-ons -
-Now on to doing the fluids (per my dad) or scheduling the work before our FL trip.
-Almost had a Range DoD delete yesterday for $100 but was beaten to the ad. This truck seems to switch less from what I watched vs the Yukon. Not sure if something was changed from the 11's to the 13's.
-Floor liners
-Rain guard/vent (or the EGR brand for $71)
-Hood bug deflector
-Vinyl strip above windshield
-Tint/Visor

Mods? planned but no timeline. Sorry lol -
- Smoked C tails. I don't know what it is, I think they just look really nice. I found THESE but not sure how I feel about them.
- C headlights. On the fence since I haven't seen one on a black one. Just white. The place also has the set with HID for about $70 more.
- Black out chrome. Plasti-dip or vinyl.
- Cargo roof rack? (I'd like one/to put a light on the front but don't want to drill any holes.. meh)
- Wrap wood grain interior (Carbon or?)

SO said she's not a chrome fan either but said she want's to keep it looking "fancy" (lol). This was a little more funny when I told her I wanted to put a cargo rack on it instead of replacing the spare tire hanger which is assumed not functional.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ok...now we can all say 'congrats', and mean it! :smile:

The only thing in your mod list that I went "huh?" on was the plan to wrap over the wood grain.
If you must (or, rather, the wife really wants it...lol)...I'd pick another type of 'wood', perhaps, but I would not go CF.

IMO, CF is 'tech', but not really 'lux' - and that's what you get an LTZ for :smile:

Since you have that black / dk gray interior, perhaps zebrawood - ? Or a brushed stainless (matte, to avoid sun glare). Lots of things will look good with black. But not CF :smile: JMHO.

If she *really* wants the bling, get one of the 'real deal' replacement kits for her, and put the actual material in. But keep it a surprise.

Sleep on it for awhile...maybe the stock 'wood' will grow on the both of you :wink:

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Ok...now we can all say 'congrats', and mean it! :smile:

The only thing in your mod list that I went "huh?" on was the plan to wrap over the wood grain.
If you must (or, rather, the wife really wants it...lol)...I'd pick another type of 'wood', perhaps, but I would not go CF.

IMO, CF is 'tech', but not really 'lux' - and that's what you get an LTZ for :smile:

Since you have that black / dk gray interior, perhaps zebrawood - ? Or a brushed stainless (matte, to avoid sun glare). Lots of things will look good with black. But not CF :smile: JMHO.

If she *really* wants the bling, get one of the 'real deal' replacement kits for her, and put the actual material in. But keep it a surprise.

Sleep on it for awhile...maybe the stock 'wood' will grow on the both of you :wink:

Thanks! :biggrin:

And for the CF wrap. I know :smile: It's inside, who's she to argue as long as it's "fancy" on the outside. lol. But I like the brushed stainless idea too. I have brushed aluminum trim in the Jetta and like it. For wood grain, we've had the discussion on multiple occasions. It was have to be a dark/black wood grain. Maybe something lighter like THIS.

She also wanted the chrome on the wheels gone.. so... not sure on the bling but fancy lol.

And I'm definitely going to sleep on it. Maint/Addons need to be done first and mods list is more of a wish list :smile:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Maybe something lighter like THIS

Check THIS out. The first one that should display - 'Armor Birdseye' - would look really good on yours, IMO.
If not that one, pretty much any of the birdseye or burl. This is but one company / vendor; there are others.

You've got the priorities right - maintenance first. 'Chrome don't get you home', as the saying goes :biggrin:

Reactions: outlaw

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just be aware a lot of aftermarket headlights with built-in projectors use really crappy projectors. If you get a set, maybe plan on swapping in some good projectors.

I have a similar style C streak tail light on my Silverado, just with an additional streak on the bottom part. I like them. Plus I like how the brake lights are totally separate from the running light, not just a bright same bulb. Makes it very obvious when I hit the brakes.

Reactions: Blckshdw and outlaw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Check THIS out. The first one that should display - 'Armor Birdseye' - would look really good on yours, IMO.
If not that one, pretty much any of the birdseye or burl. This is but one company / vendor; there are others.

You've got the priorities right - maintenance first. 'Chrome don't get you home', as the saying goes :biggrin:

Thanks. That Armor Birdseye would be a nice color. I could actually see her being OK with the Bronze Burlwood or Blackwood. I like the raw brushed aluminum or platinum silver too. I'll have to show her the site to get a few options from her. I'm only not sure about the kits. It shows the cup holder but ours has the little doors. Something I would need to verify before ordering.

I'm still leaning towards the vinyl for the cost + heatgun vs 300+ for kit and trying to figure out what to do with old one.

Just be aware a lot of aftermarket headlights with built-in projectors use really crappy projectors. If you get a set, maybe plan on swapping in some good projectors.

I have a similar style C streak tail light on my Silverado, just with an additional streak on the bottom part. I like them. Plus I like how the brake lights are totally separate from the running light, not just a bright same bulb. Makes it very obvious when I hit the brakes.

Thanks for heads up. I think you were the one mentioning over in my Yukon post too. :smile: I'm not sold on them, looking at other trucks, it looks like toning down the chrome grill does quite a bit. The projector is just poor as in doesn't give a good line or sending the light out? both? I'll have to revisit the other thread for some more detail.

Safety aspect! nice. I can probably use that angle if needed. Thanks! I'm hoping tails are easier to sell than interior wood pieces.

I hate wood in a vehicle. This isn't the 1930's. Here's what mine looks like without wood.
https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/no-more-wood.13695/

Thanks for the pics! That looks really good. I'm assuming it was a lot of patience with a heatgun with all the corners and edges?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Projector is poor as in crap lighting. Narrow beams, or weird cutoffs, or whatever. Basically very subpar optics. Most of the time the beams are narrow and skewed.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Congrats man. Mom almost picked up a 14 black on black on black ltz Tahoe with 60k on the clock. Guy ended up not going through with it. Looks like you now got yourself a nice truck.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Projector is poor as in crap lighting. Narrow beams, or weird cutoffs, or whatever. Basically very subpar optics. Most of the time the beams are narrow and skewed.

Thanks. I did find THIS with decent reviews but there is another for the same brand with 3 star (4 reviews) but almost $100 more.. Pretty sure they may prove your point :smile:

Congrats man. Mom almost picked up a 14 black on black on black ltz Tahoe with 60k on the clock. Guy ended up not going through with it. Looks like you now got yourself a nice truck.

Thanks. That year and miles, I'm sure they were still asking a pretty high price. >26k? Especially at that mileage, it's worth the little extra price for more options IMO. But that sucks. So far, liking this one a lot better, just driving down the road not using any of the extras. Too bad we couldn't have just started with it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks. I did find THIS with decent reviews but there is another for the same brand with 3 star (4 reviews) but almost $100 more.. Pretty sure they may prove your point :smile:

Thanks. That year and miles, I'm sure they were still asking a pretty high price. >26k? Especially at that mileage, it's worth the little extra price for more options IMO. But that sucks. So far, liking this one a lot better, just driving down the road not using any of the extras. Too bad we couldn't have just started with it.
Yes it was ~27k out the door if we did it. Our dealer friend knows the guy well and said he knows the entire history and the car is perfect. I don't trust mom with a black car though lol.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Yes it was ~27k out the door if we did it. Our dealer friend knows the guy well and said he knows the entire history and the car is perfect. I don't trust mom with a black car though lol.

Sounds about right. And sounds like it would be the perfect buy with known history. Can't beat that. I hear ya on the black vehicles too. We went from one extreme to the other. Had a chance on a tan one but I'm glad we ended up with the black. The tan one just looks weird. lol Good luck with your search.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Had a chance on a tan one but I'm glad we ended up with the black.

Easy to say, when you've got kids to wash / wax it on a regular basis... :tongue:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Sounds about right. And sounds like it would be the perfect buy with known history. Can't beat that. I hear ya on the black vehicles too. We went from one extreme to the other. Had a chance on a tan one but I'm glad we ended up with the black. The tan one just looks weird. lol Good luck with your search.
Yea. Around here the going for one like that is 31ish. I hear you on certain colors. It has to look right you know? Being the white one is hurting I can only imagine lol. Enjoy your new ride.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Easy to say, when you've got kids to wash / wax it on a regular basis... :tongue:

Haha. Because it's black, they can only help wash lol. Those scratches show up too easy. I'll wax but I won't even touch it with a buffer. I'm not into swirlies haha :smile:

Yea. Around here the going for one like that is 31ish. I hear you on certain colors. It has to look right you know? Being the white one is hurting I can only imagine lol. Enjoy your new ride.

Dang. Still crazy what they are getting for 5+ year old vehicles. Absolutely to the right color. I've heard from a few people.. "who cares what it looks like, you don't see it from the outside". I tell them, that's not the point. I care lol. Thanks. So far, we are! :smile:

Reactions: littleblazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online