Suburban vs Yukon XL vs... :/ Expedition

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Hello all

I've been gone for some time once we got rid of our last gmt (2003 Suburban) and have returned looking to get another one. We had the 5.3 which did everything we needed to and looking at them again but I'm wondering if having the 6.0/6.2 is worth considering. I loved the E85 option the 5.3 offered because we always were in the solid ~15mpg+ no matter what (mostly city driving). I'm not sure how the newer 5.3's are with it vs the 6.0/6.2 and the cylinder deactivation I've heard some have. Also them now having 6 speed transmissions after 2008. I think some of the Yukons had it in 2007 but i've just been searching 08+ to keep it simple.

We've gotten pretty active with the kids sports and friends so we are looking for the seating plus cargo. The current KIA is cute but doesn't cut it with it's low haul rating and overall lack of space for trips.

I've been trying to only find 4x4 (WI here) LT+ package with 5.3's. They are pretty easy to find but the crap GM did with the trims is annoying. This LT is fully loaded while this LT is a base model with leather.. wth?! lol

Must have:
<150,000 miles
=/>2008
4x4
6 speed transmission
leather
3rd row bench

Like to have:
<120,000 miles
upto 2013
Sunroof
Navigation (this can be bought separately)
Bose (this can be upgraded separately)
Entertainment (3rd row screen a bonus) (this can be added separately

On the fence:
2nd row bench vs captain's chairs. Our last one had captain's which was really nice but at the same time the extra passenger would be a plus too. If you ask the kids, it's captain's chairs so they don't have to touch. :smile:

MAX budget: 22,000

I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. With the list above, we've seen upto 2013's around our budget but usually in the 23k-28k. I think what I'm looking for in the budget is reasonable and yet I know we may have to modify the 'like to have' list if we find the right one. What are some things to look for when shopping around and inspecting them? Are there things to just avoid as options or must have's? Years to stay away from? And anything else I may have overlooked.

Thanks,
Outlaw

*edit- almost forgot. For towing, we wouldn't necessarily need it for that. However, it would be much easier to tow my dad's smaller trailer most things with this than our F350 CC LB DRW. It certainly gets the job done though :smile:.

I wasn't sure where to put this, while it's "technical" it's also general comparison. Sorry if in wrong location.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Unless you really plan on towing don't bother with the 6.0/6.2. Once you get the 6 speed it's a wash on normal performance. Just look for the normal gm issues, shocks sway bars etc. If it has air ride make sure it works. Check the rear hvac that heat and air works. I know the 06 and back had issues with it. Mae sure it had a good maintainence schedule otherwise cylinder deactivation may present a problem with oil consumption.

Reactions: outlaw

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks. I don't think we will need it towing since we already have "Big Red". I am thinking the 5.3 would be more than enough for whatever we wanted to tow with it. Since we already have a 5th wheel, we don't have to worry there anymore.

I have homework to do on the cylinder deactivation but is there more maintenance to it than oil changes? And glad you mentioned it. I didn't realize they put it in the 5.3's too. Looks like worst case is it can be tuned out to correct most oil consumption issues. I know, doesn't fix the root cause but sounds like a real pita to fix and pricey.

Good call on the hvac too. Last burb was bought in winter and we forgot to check AC. We go lucky and only need to replace charge port valve and have it recharged.

Anything specific to look for maintenance wise? Most places are only going to have/provide the carfax.

Do you know/think the 6.0/2 would be any more fuel efficient like the TB 4.2 to 5.3 was? I'm only thinking from the engine being slightly under powered for the school bus it's moving around? Or to what your saying, the transmission made up for any shortcomings the engine had/s?

Thanks,
Outlaw

Happy New Year!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The 6.0 in our 03 does 12.5/19. The 6.2 in my aunt's escalade does 13/17. In my experience the 5.3 is as good or better. Once you have the extra gearing with the six speed the 6.2 is just really fast. You'll be more than happy with a 5.3 I think. We have the 5.3 in a 1500 pickup with a 3 inch lift and 33s and the thing is a rocket. The 6.0 is an entirely different animal. It doesn't seem to care what's behind it it just moves it. The utility body truck has it and then even when you add the 3500lb boat behind it it's just a joke. You notice the 10k work trailer but you'll get that with anything with that weight. The 6.0 is built for a work truck really. Not going to rev out like the 5.3 etc.

DOD doesn't present any extra maintainence. As long as it had regular fluid changes and just your normal maintainence it should be fine. If there's huge gaps in oil changes or things like that I'd be a little worried... Car fax should let you see if any recalls were taken care of as well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All DOD engines use more oil and apparently, a lot of late model vehicles use more oil because of lower piston ring tension in the name of fuel efficiency. Early models with DOD (2005~2007) had major failures with collapsed DOD lifters. Later models, from what I have been seeing is just regular lifter failures also taking out the cam. My 2011 Caprice 6.0 seem to suffer more from common failures due to excessive idling due to their previous lives as police cars. Haven't seen anything about collapsed lifters on these.

If you want to play it safe, you could have DOD disabled through a tune. Collapsed lifters happened when the lifter stayed in the collapsed state.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you want to play it safe, you could have DOD disabled through a tune.

^^^ This. That's why I mentioned in another post - if I ever get a vehicle with one of the DoD engines, pretty much the first thing I would do as soon as I got it home, is have it tuned out.

Being able to eliminate the cause via software is preferable whenever possible. It also buys time for those who want to R&R the DoD-specific components later on, to do it on their timetable / budget.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the infos. Looks like it's somewhat cheap for the AFM delete. Cheaper than having to fix it. I'd still be curious to try on our FL trip. We are waiting to hear back on a 2011 suburban LT w/128k. Nearly loaded with second row bench. It was tightly packed and in the snow so I didn't get to look underneath or under hood. It does have a clean carfax

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Quick update.
the '11 we went to see yesterday A. Wasn't inspected yet and B. had 2 flat tires and dead battery. Once they get back to us and if they haven't already, I will be asking for a new set of tires. The ones on it weren't much over the wear bar and I don't want to spend 6-800 for a new set after spending up to 20k.. no thanks.

The other dealer tried a yukon (non-XL). Had me sold (thinking it was the XL) with all the options it had and only 86k miles. Followed up everything with "it's ok if it's not an XL, right?" lol. No, no it's not. That's why I told you Yukon XL or Suburban.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Darn dealers.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I guess this will be more of a 'Dealer Game thread' now until we are able to actually get something.

Lol. Indeed. The one that tried selling the shorty tried to get us into a '14 Suburban LTZ (~86k miles) with an asking price of... wait for it.... 33K! I told him if they could do there magic to make 13K disappear, we can talk.. Well.. trade in plus a small down payment is all they dropped the price... nothing on their end. WTH. thanks for literally nothing. After they tried getting us to go with a 450-600+ monthly and getting shot down politely I might add which is rare for me.

They tried us on their 14' Expedition EL (~65k miles) which is suppose to be the same size as the burb/XL. While the books may say so, sitting in the passenger seat said otherwise. Feature-wise, it was comparable but felt lacking. If I wasn't there, the wife would have probably walked out with it. She drove both of them and said she liked the ford better.. I just couldn't put my finger on it but was not a fan of it or the price... 30K! Again.. thank you for even coming close. This time they did say they could probably get us closer on the Ford because it doesn't demand the "premium" that GM does... what kind of crap you selling?! They are both 10+ thousand over what I told you was our MAX. I told him I would go for the Excursion w/Diesel before dropping 30K and a 400+ a month payment.

At this point, waiting to hear on the 2011 LT for 17,995 with ~128K miles. Still browsing the usual places.. carmax, cargurus, cars, autotrader, craigslist dealer and USAA. If I missed one, please feel free to share. If you know of any dealers selling in the Milwaukee, WI area (willing to travel upto 100ish miles). please share that as well.

Oh and for those that may be considering these, The headlights (low beam specifically) project a somewhat distracting beam of light out the sides of the housing. I'm attributing this to the way they are designed with the low beam on the outside which reflects of the side of the high beam housing.

Thanks for reading!
Outlaw

And to give you all (lol) something to look at, here is the one we are waiting to hear back on.
f3d195223eb675d990462e9e958d6121x.jpg

http://www.fieldsauto.com/used/Chev...Suburban-30811bf60a0e0ae7251725e0a37753a7.htm

They also have an '11 Yukon XL but asking a little more- 24k (but "only" 93K miles)
thumb_cdd748b61d11337c7cd286d7878696abx.jpg

http://www.fieldsauto.com/used/GMC/2011-GMC-Yukon+XL-2bbbec830a0e0ae84925708c9f808f52.htm

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nice solid looking truck. Looks sharp in white. Enjoy!

Reactions: outlaw and Reprise

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Let the mods begin!

... right?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

+1 to that!

Looking at both vehicles on the dealer's website, except for exterior color and badges, they look to be equipped almost identically.
Given the $7K difference for 30K less miles (same MY) - I think I might have gone for the Burb. But that Yuke shore is purty :googlyeyes: Congrats!

PS: You definitely made the right choice over the Ford :wink: You can tell the better half that it will be cheaper in the long run, both in maintenance costs and resale value.

Last edited:

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Good luck with the purchase! You can disable DOD through the tuning but the mechanical parts do still fail sometimes (the DOD lifters on 1,4,6,7 can collapse). If that happens in my opinion it's best to just scrap the system altogether vs. repairing it. It doesn't do much for gas mileage anyway!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yep, my DoD has been disabled on my Silverado for a while now. Pushing 179k and still going (sometimes ticking lol). If it ever mechanically failed I'd be swapping those valvetrain parts out and just nixing the whole system like Kelly said.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Let the mods begin!

... right?

I'm hoping so. lol

+1 to that!

Looking at both vehicles on the dealer's website, except for exterior color and badges, they look to be equipped almost identically.
Given the $7K difference for 30K less miles (same MY) - I think I might have gone for the Burb. But that Yuke shore is purty :googlyeyes: Congrats!

PS: You definitely made the right choice over the Ford :wink: You can tell the better half that it will be cheaper in the long run, both in maintenance costs and resale value.

I lost the burb when it had to go to the shop. And I have no shame. lol She wanted it the xl so she got the xl. She was hung up on the mileage. The burb did have a couple extras like navi, tv and sunroof. I'm not sure if it had the 2nd row heated seats or not though. But yes otherwise same options for a lot of extra monies.

I wanted to wait on the Burb as well. Dealer said it had an oil leak (oil cooler or rear main... :/?) and was in to be inspected/fixed or they would whole sale if too much work. For the price difference I was good with waiting.. what we put down would have been a huge difference on financed amount.. Oh well... Contracted.. I mean married life is wonderful. And I have to say this per my contra.. I mean I want to say I was not forced or persuaded to say marriage is wonderful.

As for the ford. We only looked at the one, and for what they were asking on the EL (only thing comparable to the burb/xl that's still made) was too much anyways. But I was able to "win" that when it came to money. Good point on maint and resale. My kids bball coach has an 08 expedition and said he was "meh" about it but that gen was only comparable to the hoe/-xl.

Good luck with the purchase! You can disable DOD through the tuning but the mechanical parts do still fail sometimes (the DOD lifters on 1,4,6,7 can collapse). If that happens in my opinion it's best to just scrap the system altogether vs. repairing it. It doesn't do much for gas mileage anyway!

Thanks! Scrap the system? Is that what Sparky below is talking about? Replacing the parts that make up the DoD and tuning it out?

Yep, my DoD has been disabled on my Silverado for a while now. Pushing 179k and still going (sometimes ticking lol). If it ever mechanically failed I'd be swapping those valvetrain parts out and just nixing the whole system like Kelly said.

Without the tune is there away to see if someone had previously tuned it out? Not sure if places will reprogram them out or if still considered a nono. All the times we've started it so far, idle is really quiet. When I was flipping through the dash info, there was something about mode? I think and said v8. Does that tell you when it's in 8 vs 4?

Thanks everyone for the info and best wishes. Glad we got another GM to come back here!. I do really like our 350 DRW and their support forum but not the same as here :wink:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yes, on the DIC you can select a screen that tells you what mode (V8 or V4) it is in. If it ever goes to V4 while cruising you know it isn't turned off via a tune.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Yes, on the DIC you can select a screen that tells you what mode (V8 or V4) it is in. If it ever goes to V4 while cruising you know it isn't turned off via a tune.

Thanks for the quick reply! I was playing with it parked and it said v8. I'm not sure how fast it switches between the two though. I've got some research to do on the system.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It won't go to V4 unless you're cruising. parked will always be V8.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
It won't go to V4 unless you're cruising. parked will always be V8.

If not sooner, we have a drive this weekend I can try it out with some cruise control. I'm not sure how it will handle our great hills of WI though lol. Nothing steep, just long grades

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
On a hill it will likely stay in V8. Any flat areas it may try to go to V4.

Reactions: djthumper

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks. I'll have to throw that on the dic for driving around, see if it changes around town.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thought I would revive this because it turned into more of an experience post rather than a truck vs truck post.

Quite a long story short. I posted a review about the dealer and the truck we purchased. About a week or so ago, a response was left stating they were concerned and that service is a priority of theirs and if we wanted to contact them.. to do so. I did and we met with the GM (new as of feb). The wife and I explained the situation and our concerns/frustrations, he tentatively listened then gave his input and opinion (including "it's past the refund point") then asked what we wanted them to do to improve our satisfaction. I told him I was realistic but swung for the fences and inquired about another truck they have and asked about trading ours in for it and doing their dealer magic on the numbers. To my surprise, he agreed (with obvious things left to work out like finance, test drive/inspect..etc). We even lucked out that he lived somewhat close to the other dealer with the truck and would bring it up tomorrow for us to drive over the weekend as long as we would give him a firm answer on Monday! Ok, I'm down with that, this is already a much better conversation than I was expecting.

At this point, we have two options going.
A. Weekend test drive in a different truck with potential to replace.
B. Dealer covers cost to fix a few things that shouldn't have been missed.

More to come.. Hopefully this isn't off topic of the forum section and is informative. I feel I could share more details if interested but saved everybody the time since this is plenty long enough.

Thanks for giving me a place to vent!
Outlaw

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
So what went wrong?

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
As far as link to review, best I know how to do- https://www.google.com/search?q=fields+waukesha+review
-But you still have to go to google reviews > sort for most recent. Should find mine (Jesse James).. Yes... Makes my username seem obvious lol.

But I can summarize... maybe... probably not
- From moment we walked in, the wife said she felt talked down to. No good :hopeless:
- Same salesman from above did not follow through on communications they said they would. I had to call for updates. After a week, I called and asked for someone else. :hopeless:
- New salesman and I talked at least 5-6 times the same day and I was updated on the Burb. :yes:
- Another week goes by with periodic updates. That's when I asked about the Yukon. :yes:
- We come back in to look at it and take for test drive. It's dark out, we stop at Walgreens for their light. I take out flashlight and peek underneath and walk around. I found all 3 of the LF strut tower bolts loose (could thread off with fingers loose). We bring it back to dealer and I point it out to the salesman asking how it was inspected and how me "a joe schmoe" found this but their "excellent" (his words) tech didn't. He goes on the defensive a bit but admits it's embarrassing. I tell him the tires are junk (at wear bar, inside shoulder gone), again, goes on defensive saying they passed inspection and DOT standard... me: "really? So did your suspension check" (yes I said this) (This should have been the walk away moment). :hopeless:
- SO wants it because <100K miles. period. I'm not digging it and still not a fan of the look BUT I can look past for the "perfect truck".. :whiteflag:
- I talk to the salesman, best he can do is 1k off asking... Ok, what about the crap tires? Well.. blah blah. My manager is giving me a hard time for every 100 off I ask for.. blah blah.. what about 300? Me: I guess.. (I should have walked away here too) :hopeless:
- I call him back and let him know we won't be doing trade but have a significant down payment. What can you do with price? Him: Nothing. Ok, what about the Burb? Him: Nothing, we don't have finance for vehicles over 100k. Me: Uhh what.. Him: The people buying that usually do their own finance or pay cash. Me: Uhh what. But ok. (I should have walked away here too) :hopeless:
- On the way to go pick it up, I was biting my tongue. At this point i'm going with it because SO :whiteflag:
- In fairness to the dealer. I don't know why I didn't speak up and walk away like I did the last one other than for the fact, this one was in budget, albeit very top while the other ones were $30k+.
- By the weekend following pick-up, I'm freaking out. Looking up if possible to return.. Best thing I can think to do is leave a review thinking I'm stuck with it maybe the review will help others.. whatever at this point.
- Monday, I receive a call from the salesman who's confused. I told him that was our experience I shared. He said he wanted to help me and would see what he could do and give him an hour. Me: Ok, No prob, still thinking whatever at this point.
- Thursday rolls around so I update my review with more experience. Again.. whatever. It's all I can do at this point.
- 2-3weeks go by and the SO points out there's a crack down the center of the windshield by the rearview mirror (can't be seen from driver/pass seat) and the rear pass window switch doesn't work.
- I procrastinate updating, just like buying the tires but decide to finally update my review again. I see there was a response left. What!? Said they were truly concerned and customer experience is top priority. Like previous, I'm thinking whatever, I'll call and see what happens. Worst case is nothing, right?

We are now at last night where yesterday's post covers.
To add. I don't feel I mislead anybody in my discussions with the dealer or review and I told the GM I get frustrated just seeing it in the driveway from the whole shenanigans BUT fully admit at the end of the day I still went through purchase and own that. And I honestly do not know why I bought the truck after everything that happened up to the point of us signing. I should have walked and taken my money somewhere else.
And reiterated the signs were there I just decided to to ignore them and drive off the cliff..

Hope that helps lol :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
FWIW, the switch isn't an uncommon nuisance. My Silverado's switch is goofy at times but I haven't screwed with it yet for some bizarre reason, even though it totally irritates me when it won't go down half the time (thankfully it always goes up!). Usually a disassembly and cleaning of the switch contacts is all that's needed, or a $20 switch from Amazon (nope, they are not full blown door modules that need programming, go figure).

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
FWIW, the switch isn't an uncommon nuisance. My Silverado's switch is goofy at times but I haven't screwed with it yet for some bizarre reason, even though it totally irritates me when it won't go down half the time (thankfully it always goes up!). Usually a disassembly and cleaning of the switch contacts is all that's needed, or a $20 switch from Amazon (nope, they are not full blown door modules that need programming, go figure).

Forgot to add details about the potential replacement truck
2013 Burb LTZ w/107k miles (listed for almost the same sticker price)

To your comment. I completely agree. The switch isn't even a big deal just something we made note of since we have gotten to this point. For the cost of a cleaning/replacement and ~1hr? Thats something I could deal with though.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
A chance to get the Burb, which you wanted in the first place - for the same money ? (dealer 'magic', as you mentioned).
I know which way I'd go, given the issues you listed with the Yukon. And the nice thing is, the SO will be 'compliant', this time, since her choice didn't work out. Plus, she'll love the luxo LTZ (which I bet has the 2nd row cap'n chairs you were interested in). Only downside with the LTZ is a few more gee-gaws that can go south on you.

I think it's a crapshoot sometimes... you can have two of the same vehicles (same year, trim, etc.)... one will be just fine, and the other one will start nickel 'n diming you from the jump. But you don't know which, until you pick. Sometimes CarMax, etc., can help with this; sometimes the watchful eye can catch it. It's harder w/ late model vehicles, as they have less history, less need for scheduled maintenance, lack of familiarity with the new tech, etc.
Not that often we get to be 'made whole' by the dealer, if we choose wrong - I'd jump on it, if the Burb checks out.

If you already bought new tires for the Yukon, try not to give them away to the dealer. Although I'll guess the LTZ Burb might have a larger size wheel, negating the possibility of a tire swap (or a wheel swap, w/o recalibrating the speedometer).

Let us know how you enjoy the new Burb :wink: Good luck!

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
A chance to get the Burb, which you wanted in the first place - for the same money ? (dealer 'magic', as you mentioned).
I know which way I'd go, given the issues you listed with the Yukon. And the nice thing is, the SO will be 'compliant', this time, since her choice didn't work out. Plus, she'll love the luxo LTZ (which I bet has the 2nd row cap'n chairs you were interested in). Only downside with the LTZ is a few more gee-gaws that can go south on you.

I think it's a crapshoot sometimes... you can have two of the same vehicles (same year, trim, etc.)... one will be just fine, and the other one will start nickel 'n diming you from the jump. But you don't know which, until you pick. Sometimes CarMax, etc., can help with this; sometimes the watchful eye can catch it. It's harder w/ late model vehicles, as they have less history, less need for scheduled maintenance, lack of familiarity with the new tech, etc.
Not that often we get to be 'made whole' by the dealer, if we choose wrong - I'd jump on it, if the Burb checks out.

If you already bought new tires for the Yukon, try not to give them away to the dealer. Although I'll guess the LTZ Burb might have a larger size wheel, negating the possibility of a tire swap (or a wheel swap, w/o recalibrating the speedometer).

Let us know how you enjoy the new Burb :wink: Good luck!

Here's the link- https://www.fieldsauto.com/used/Che...ban+1500-4f0bc9280a0e0ae85433d567aef9a437.htm

To your point about other gee-gaws. I was thinking that too. Mo tech mo problems! lol. I as looking through the options and saw the auto ride... At least if it does go, it can be replaced with standard suspension parts if need be. Talked to the SO last night, I asked about the bench vs bucket and she said "whatever, it works for us" which is great. l'm hoping this pans out with the truck and then to hurdle the financing piece since I'm very curious what happens with that if we want to move on this one.

I will definitely post an update and pic when I get one.

Thanks for all the input and feels goods :biggrin:

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Short update.

Picked it up around 5ish. So far it's been really good. With light lacking, I feel I went over it pretty well and will continue tomorrow.

Checked:
- Engine bay for anything obvious/noises
- Walked around vehicle on pick-up looking for any major signs of damage
- All window switches
- All lock switches
- All mirror switches
- Mirror folding
- All seat heat/ac switches/functionality
- All seat controls
- Steering controls (except phone stuff)
- Stereo
- Navigation
- Rear entertainment including both TVs and headsets
- Sunroof
- Tires
- Rear auto liftgate
- 4x4*
- Steering wheel feels tight on turns
- Cruises straight down highway
- HVAC front and rear*
- Interior condition
- Windshield
- Suspension

Found:
- Small/minor dings/scratches/scuffs (expected with age/use). I think some of it at least could probably be cleaned up with a good detail. Main thing here found was what looked to be a rock impact on the front edge of the hood. Overall good condition. :yes:
- Tires are brand new. This is great since they are the 20" wheels. :yes:
- Just found out the vol up/dwn are on the backside of the steering wheel. lol
- Interior in really good condition. Maybe very light use showing but no signs of deterioration. :yes:
- 4x4* While I was able to engage it per the led. It made some noise in the parking lot when turning. I wasn't doing more than 5mph maybe 10mph. Looked up noises and looks to be from being on dry pavement which makes sense but i've not heard it with other 4x4s. Still it makes sense so I stopped. Hoping to find a place that is a little muddy or at least really wet. The weather here has melted everything and just been rain.
-HVAC* I was using the functions without issue until I went to use A/C, three flashes then off. Found out the system now will not turn on if it senses ambient temp below 40F. Again, like the 4x4, makes sense but this is a first for me. Everything else appears to work.
- Suspension appears to be stock and intact. I can hear the pump run on startup and has smooth but firm ride. :yes:

Left to check that I can think of right now:
- Underside for rust/leaks (I'm expecting the 'normal' surface rust for being above the rust belt)
- Fluids that I can access
- Depending on time tomorrow, planning to take to a shop to check front end and other fluids they can access that I couldn't in the driveway. Get better view under the skirt.

Things not liked (nitpicky lol):
- Front windows not tinted (only thing SO commented on) :yes:
- Looks like driver side rear window a little sticky going down but otherwise no issues up/down :yes:
- Umm... maybe the 4x4 thing since conditions were not right for testing :undecided:

Overall thoughts:
So far, had this been the one we looked at before, I would have said take my money. Between the 'Found' and 'Things not liked', the only one I'm unsure of is the 4x4. Provided that checks out, I really hope they can do something with the finance since it's at 107k miles. I can check with my bank (Credit Union) too but didn't want to go crazy running credit reports until we got it and were able to make sure it was what it sounded like.

And a few pics before light was gone.

Can see the specs on the front edge of the hood. Nothing serious.

And the one that made it road trip approved from my youngest. She said this is exactly what I wanted! It has the middle row buckets, tv and heated seats!. It was hilarious talking to her about it. When I brought up about maybe connecting console to video input, her reaction was priceless. Still, hopefully be able to get them to look out the window a bit at some of the scenery.

I'll get some more pics tomorrow. Pretty excited so far.
Thanks again,
Outlaw

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Nice to be the hero, eh? LOL

Forget about them looking out the window anytime soon....lmao.

If the SO's lone complaint was the tint level on the front windows, it's going to be a peaceful weekend :smile: You done good.

I was amazed to see the price, considering. New, they run about 80K - ?
That reminds me...I recognized the Dealer name...we must be neighbors. :smile:

Get a bugflector for the hood; it'll help going forward. Also a tranny cooler, before you start towing.

Keep an eye on the fluids, and you'll be golden. Change the oil, as you have no guarantee the dealer did, even if it looks 'blonde'.
Actually, if the Burb didn't have documented service records, change as many fluids as you can - transfer case & transmission would be the next candidates after the engine oil.

Since you're at 5yrs with the factory DexCool, I'd change that out before the 1st big tow. Or at least check the protection level.
Once the factory fill is changed out, I think subsequent interval is 3yrs - but check your owner's manual, to be sure.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That AC button flash below 40F is indeed normal. My Silverado does that.

I have not tried my Silverado on dry pavement in 4x4. I'll try to do that and report to you what it sounds like. Maybe this transfer case does some sort of "release" when binding, or something like that? No idea. I know my 4x4 works great.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Nice to be the hero, eh? LOL

Forget about them looking out the window anytime soon....lmao.

If the SO's lone complaint was the tint level on the front windows, it's going to be a peaceful weekend :smile: You done good.

I was amazed to see the price, considering. New, they run about 80K - ?
That reminds me...I recognized the Dealer name...we must be neighbors. :smile:

Get a bugflector for the hood; it'll help going forward. Also a tranny cooler, before you start towing.

Keep an eye on the fluids, and you'll be golden. Change the oil, as you have no guarantee the dealer did, even if it looks 'blonde'.
Actually, if the Burb didn't have documented service records, change as many fluids as you can - transfer case & transmission would be the next candidates after the engine oil.

Since you're at 5yrs with the factory DexCool, I'd change that out before the 1st big tow. Or at least check the protection level.
Once the factory fill is changed out, I think subsequent interval is 3yrs - but check your owner's manual, to be sure.

Enjoy!

Hero? No. Some of this is for me! :celebrate:It's the SO daily but anytime the family goes anywhere, I'm it. Speaking of having to be the driver, I found the Yukon lumbar support in the driver seat doesn't work... yey.. lol

But more seriously, we're not there yet. Tomorrow is the make itor break. I already resubmitted our finance request so they should be able to start what they need to early in the day.

We got the approximate bill of sale yesterday. SO wasn't too happy about them not putting our whole down payment from the Yukon on this one. I told her that's not how it works. They did give us more (on the paperwork) than I was actually expecting and said we would be getting the refund from the warranty so we can put that back into this one (which had the warranty added to it).

Same, when I searched their site before going in, I was pretty surprised for the options/year, even with the 107k on the clock. That first one we looked at was $33k for 2014 with the same options and 86k miles. It's actually still on their lot.

Hey neighbor! You in the SE WI or NE IL area? The one we're working with is in Waukesha.

Bug deflector.. lol. Funny you mention that. I did bring it up. She isn't a fan but understands the purpose. I did offer we get the clear vinyl strips to protect the front edge and the top curve above the windshield. I know it's not the same but may be the compromise. Like THIS

I didn't see any documented records of service. We had it to a shop yesterday to get it in the air. Nothing major found. Some seepage on the oil cooler line and rear dif axle seal. Overall, they said it was really clean for being northern owned. I asked them to write up estimates for the seepage and to do all fluid service. If we get it, all fluids including oil will be changed out before our FL trip.

That AC button flash below 40F is indeed normal. My Silverado does that.

I have not tried my Silverado on dry pavement in 4x4. I'll try to do that and report to you what it sounds like. Maybe this transfer case does some sort of "release" when binding, or something like that? No idea. I know my 4x4 works great.

Thanks for the reassurance and checking. I've heard the same from a couple others too including the shop. It makes sense why it would do that, I was just wanting to make sure I tested everything and knew I couldn't test 4x4 properly so I did what I could at low mileage.

Some more pics

Under the skirt :biggrin:
Area on the left that is wet looks like someone not knowing how to fill oil. From the fill tube all the way down was wet... :undecided:

Third row

Second row
pass side

drive side

Front
pass side

drive side

Rocker (all look like this, maybe some scuffs but otherwise sound solid)

Roof

Some marks but no tears

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Annnnnd.... It has both knobs!!! You don't know how many I've looked at, including the Yukon, which are missing at least one of them... Where do these go.. It's like doing the laundry and losing one sock.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I've lost the edit button.. ?

I wanted to add. While not a deal breaker, I can't find any floor liners for the burb with the mid center console. I've checked weather tech, husky and others. Maybe just have to get the one for mid buckets and cut to fit.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
..........................^
Should be right there

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I've lost the edit button.. ?

I wanted to add. While not a deal breaker, I can't find any floor liners for the burb with the mid center console. I've checked weather tech, husky and others. Maybe just have to get the one for mid buckets and cut to fit.

(on edit: Check out www.realtruck.com ; I saw some options there that might work with your 2nd row.)

FYI...If you're on mobile, and I bet you were, sending those pics, the 'edit' feature is in a menu (ellipsis) at the bottom LH side (you won't see it unless you hit that 'menu' item). At least, that's what I see on Chrome (I use Android)

As for me, I'm in N. IL - about 11mi west of Gurnee, if you're familiar with the exits down 94. Since Fields has a big presence in the Chicago area, I figured you for IL; looks like I guessed wrong. Not many would drive from IL to Waukesha to go car shopping. :laugh:

Good looking Burb! If the F&I guy is worth his salt, he'll get 'er done for ya.

Last edited:

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Should be right there

I agree. I've not had that happen in the past..hmm. Even using a different computer today (work) and same thing.. Hmm

(on edit: Check out www.realtruck.com ; I saw some options there that might work with your 2nd row.)

FYI...If you're on mobile, and I bet you were, sending those pics, the 'edit' feature is in a menu (ellipsis) at the bottom LH side (you won't see it unless you hit that 'menu' item). At least, that's what I see on Chrome (I use Android)

As for me, I'm in N. IL - about 11mi west of Gurnee, if you're familiar with the exits down 94. Since Fields has a big presence in the Chicago area, I figured you for IL; looks like I guessed wrong. Not many would drive from IL to Waukesha to go car shopping. :laugh:

Good looking Burb! If the F&I guy is worth his salt, he'll get 'er done for ya.

Shhhh... but i'm not even logged in on mobile :biggrin:. But I will to see if the menu appears. Thanks for the tips.

As for location. No worries. I'm a bit north in the Milw area. I'm semi-familiar with your area only because of Gurnee though with Six Flags, mall, Ikea.. lol. We are still neighbors. It's only roughly an hour. Closer than a lot of members probably.

And we've driven down to Chicago area for a vehicle before and it was only around $3k... won't make that mistake again. For the burb, we lucked out that the GM lived by the Northfield location (he was the GM there) and offered to bring it up. I did offer to drive down too though just to look at it.

Hope they are worth it. GM said they've since signed a new group of CU's and the 107k miles shouldn't be an issue. We did have a slight scare when I read his email Sat saying we would have to secure finance. Wife and I read that as we needed to apply to lenders. Quick call and our hearts started beating again lol. Just had to apply for their financing.

Thanks for the link. I'll give them a search. It's appearing the second row console isn't a common option. Or at least wasn't for liner makes to consider it.

Thanks!
Outlaw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online