SUPPORT Sub-forum collapse

flyboy2610

Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
When I collapse the sub-forums for which I have no interest, they will stay collapsed for 3 or 4 sessions, then they all open up again. I realize I could just set the "What's New" page as my default page, but I really don't want to have to wade through listings that have no applicability to me. This is the only forum of which I am a member that has this issue. None of the other forums, for various topics and interests, do this.
Is there a way to collapse unwanted sub-forums and have them STAY collapsed, or is that option only available to certain account levels? This is getting frustrating.
Thanks!

Solution
The collapsible forums are a modification to the Xenforo system that was requested by members. It is based on cookies... when the cookie times out or the user signs out, the cookies are cleared. I am not able to manipulate the methods used by the end-users browser, so I can't really do anything to correct the behavior you're experiencing.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I never knew you could even do that! lol Learned me somethin new today

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just learned this one too! I guess you're using the slider button on the right of each sub-forum to collapse them? What do you mean by "session"? Do you actually log off each time you close your browser? I tried just closing my browser and reopening and the collapsed subs stayed collapsed but I didn't log off.

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
OK, I just tried logging off and back in and they were back. Could be a setting in the back end.

Upvote 1

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Tried it on another forum I'm on that also uses Xenforo and it did the same thing. On the other forums, check what software they're using. Should be at the bottom of the page. If it's the same, it could be configurable.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
The collapsible forums are a modification to the Xenforo system that was requested by members. It is based on cookies... when the cookie times out or the user signs out, the cookies are cleared. I am not able to manipulate the methods used by the end-users browser, so I can't really do anything to correct the behavior you're experiencing.

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman
Upvote 0
Solution

flyboy2610

Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
No, I don't sign out after each session. I just click "Mark forums read". After three or four visits, all the sub-forums are open again.
And yeah, I close them with the little slider button.

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I did a ton of research today to see if I could find a way to cater to users like yourself that prefer a more granular method for viewing new content, however, there wasn't much available. I wanted to either create a custom search string for you that would allow you to only search specific categories/forums for new content or for you to be able to ignore pre-selected categories/forums. There was one option that was relatively costly for what it offered, and you can't try it out before you buy, so I opted not to go that route. I'm going to reach out to the developer to see if I can get some clarification. It it will indeed work to improve some users' experience, I would be more than glad to implement it.

However, back to the collapsible forum blocks... I will look into the cookie settings on our side and see if there is anything I can do to improve your experience.

Thank you

Reactions: Mooseman
Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online