Stuck VVT solenoid.

TerryG

Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Illinois
I recently started getting a reoccurring code that pointed to the VVT solenoid so I decided to change it out. After watching a few how to videos, just to get an idea of the steps, I started tearing it down. Everything was going smooth until I got to the actual removal. I tried twisting it before pulling, to break the seal loose, and the crimped on solenoid canister spun around while the tube in the engine stayed stationary. After messing with it quite a bit the canister broke off. I tried using a punch and hammer to tap on the mounting tab, but all that did was deform the tab and make it fall out.

I tried searching, but haven't had much luck. Has anyone had this issue before? If so, any suggestions on how to get the bastard out of there?

Thanks
Terry

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
First I've heard of this happening since it's basically bathing in oil. Try penetrating fluid. Maybe there's enough protruding that you can get a pair of vice-grips on it. Try rotating it to loosen any corrosion.

TerryG

Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Illinois
I've been soaking it pretty heavily for the past few days with no luck. I found someone with the same issue on the old site, plus a few others just doing some general searching, and it seems the next step is to drill the guts out and use an internal puller.

Thanks for the response.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.