Stuck in Auto or 4HI, or paranoid?

jbones

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Story is this, I have an "08" and a few weeks back I found I was in 4LO :frown:; early morning and I hit the selector instead of the rear wiper. Figured this out after a got to work and was turning into parking spot at a slow speed, drove some 20 miles on wet and dry pavement.

I may be paranoid fearing I screwed something up since it can’t be good for the system, but it feels like when driving the fronts feel a tad grabby and pull, and there’ a different rougher vibe felt through the gas pedal.

Changed case fluid last weekend for the 50,000 mile change, it looked great, see no leaks anywhere underneath. I’ve cycled 2wd -4 lo properly on a few occasions to check and no bad noise, jolts, grinding clunking, and yellow selector light goes where I select.

I’m I paranoid, or is something wrong? What do you think?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would do the parking lot test. Put it in 4HI, and at low speed, make sure you can identify the driveline binding you will get when you turn the wheel and turn no more than 45 degrees. Put it back to 2HI and you should feel none of that.

In 2HI, as long as none of the lights blink on the mode control switch, it's impossible for you to be truly in any 4WD mode unless you have a welded up splined disconnect, and grabby transfer case clutches. Very rare double failure.

If you have any vibrational behavior, especially while turning, you may have a deteriorating CV shaft. You can feel that if you get the vehicle supported and turn the wheels by hand.

Are you current on differential fluid changes?

jbones

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I've done the first step, but before I reply I think I'll try it again, wont’ be until evening that I get to test and reply on that. You did mean "Put it back to 2WD and you should feel none of that", you wrote 4 HI.

I hadn't planned on diff fluid changes yet at only 51,000 miles, little to no off road use, just a tad bit in Auto & 4HI in the winter for Mild North of Seattle snow couple times a years. You recommend I do being the event (screw-up) in 4LO?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I wrote 2HI because that's what the pre-2006 switches all have embossed on them. I think later switches have 2 with an up arrow? Just distinguishes it from 2LO, a mode we don't have but I'm going to offer a product someday. At 51K, your diffs are probably not an issue.

jbones

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
roadie, just went through the checks, all sounds, feels, and works are advertised. Very distinct differences in 2LO, 4HI, and 4LO. could even hear the transition back from AUTO to 2LO
Must be the paranoia from driving in 4LO. I bet I just need tires and an alignment.

Thanks for the help.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Are you coming to the meet on Saturday? I'm reasonably sure I'll be there. I'll look at it for you then if you like.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
I wrote 2HI because that's what the pre-2006 switches all have embossed on them. I think later switches have 2 with an up arrow? Just distinguishes it from 2LO, a mode we don't have but I'm going to offer a product someday. At 51K, your diffs are probably not an issue.

Make me a manual shift lever for my 226. My encoder motor gets finicky when it's cold/wet these days. You and I both NEVER use A4WD either.

Then figure out if you can twin stick the 226. That would be cool. :biggrin:

jbones

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
fishsticks said:
Are you coming to the meet on Saturday? I'm reasonably sure I'll be there. I'll look at it for you then if you like.

I'll be there! I'd appreciate the look. Thanks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online