Stuck CV Axle

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
I'm trying to replace the oil seal but can't get the CV axle out of the differential. I've tried prying it from both one and two sides. I hooked a slide hammer and pounded away. Then I wound a cable around it and used my weight to pull it. I rocked the truck but the axle didn't budge.
Pounding it from behind with a BFH doesn't seem like a good idea since you can only hit it at a 45 degree angle.
Anybody have any suggestions?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I use an 18 inch piece of 3/8 rebar from the inside on the tripod and a bfh to drive them out. Few hits then rotate to another spot and do again. Its a pain, but it works every time. I actually carry the rebar with me for trail repairs cause I never found anything else to work on cv's

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
If its the side with the sensor/actuator that plug connector needs to be removed but the best way i did was a decenlty long pry bar and bfh a couple smacks but you need to angle it from the splash guard ay the bottom upward right on the connection to the diff. It should come out fairly easily.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
A couple times a simple pry bar worked for me with a hammer.

Other times I had to hit it from the backside with a steel rod and my sledge to pop them free. Pain in the neck when they get stuck like that.

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
I took a day to try all the alternative methods except from underneath with a hammer. I had one side jacked up so there wasn't enough ground clearance for a good swing of the hammer - especially on the driver's side. So I went to autozone and borrowed their FWD axle puller attachment and 5lb slide hammer. That did it with a few whacks and rotations.:2thumbsup:
I wasted a day when the right tool would have made short work of it - lesson learned.......
3lb slide hammer isn't good enough - has to be at least 5lb.

When I work on the passenger side I plan to just unbolt the whole axle disconnect from the oilpan and knock it out from the backside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Be careful with that idea on the passenger side. The disco is weak and the housings break commonly.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And they are usually welded to the oil pan with corrosion. Better to get the axle out first.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Last one I rebuilt I split it on the truck and left the inner half bolted in to keep from breaking it. Not too bad to do and much safer.

Reactions: Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online