Strut Spring Compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
The local stores here no longer loan out spring compressors (liability?) so it looks like I'll have to buy a set. I've narrowed it down to two styles...

http://www.amazon.ca/Powerbuilt-648627-Strut-Spring-Compressor/dp/B001OC5QJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450199299&sr=8-1&keywords=strut+spring+compressor&tag=gmtnation-ca-20

^ That is the type they used to loan and I've used once before on a different vehicle. They worked well and I liked the safety pins.

There's also this style I've found... same brand but listed as "Heavy Duty". They don't look any more robust to me but if they actually are I would think they would be the ones to buy. I've seen some early photos of a similar set being used by @The_Roadie and they looked like they were starting to bend (attached photo)...

http://www.amazon.ca/Powerbuilt-940562-Heavy-Spring-Compressor/dp/B00GJJZ0WE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450199299&sr=8-5&keywords=strut+spring+compressor&tag=gmtnation-ca-20

Anyone here have experience with either set on this platform? Obviously the second set got the job done so I at least know they would work... just looking for the safer of the two.

Attachments

• struttogether.jpg
    struttogether.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: mrrsm

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I used the first ones through advance auto as their rental program and it worked okay. The only problem I ran into was the little silver locking tab that prevents the tool from rocketing off the spring if it fails did not want to push around the spring due to the thickness of the springs on the front. What I had to do was unscrew the pull ring from the locking tab, push the locking pin out and then reinsert it with the jaw clamps on the spring and then reattach the pull ring to the locking pin. Aside from that it worked great. I did load up the threads on the tool with bearing grease to help it with compressing and I used my impact gun at 1 second intervals between each side to compress the spring enough to get the strut mount off the top.

personally, id prefer the first one that I loaned through the store. Having the locking pin was nice just in the event the compressor screw or one of the legs on the compressor tool snapped so I don't have it flying all over the place to kill me. The second one would get the job done but I'd rather not risk death if it were to bend and snap off or something.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I rented the same ones as kickass. They worked great except for my teenage ignorance by getting reaches stuck in the spring. I did notice that the copressors were bent but they never broke even with an impact on em.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I used the first set as well through Auto Zone's loaner/rental process. The pin didn't fit as kickass noted, but I didn't worry about it slipping off once it was under tension.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've had a set of the second type before and they are not as heavy duty as they say. The nuts in the clamp stripped. They're not that thick or made with anything more than regular steel.

The first set looks more heavy duty with the clamp itself fully threaded. I have a set that looks like these and works with our heavy springs:
100_3753.jpg

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
I've had a set of the second type before and they are not as heavy duty as they say. The nuts in the clamp stripped. They're not that thick or made with anything more than regular steel.

The first set looks more heavy duty with the clamp itself fully threaded. I have a set that looks like these and works with our heavy springs:
100_3753.jpg

Looks like it's probably these ones? http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002GQD2P6/?tag=gmtnation-20

I came across those earlier but the price is nearly half and "you get what you pay for" scared me off. Too bad that style doesn't have some sort of safety retainer. I guess I could just wrap some wire around them and the coil...

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Looks like it's probably these ones? http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002GQD2P6/?tag=gmtnation-20

I came across those earlier but the price is nearly half and "you get what you pay for" scared me off. Too bad that style doesn't have some sort of safety retainer. I guess I could just wrap some wire around them and the coil...

I have a set of those in my garage and I tried to use them when installing a lift kit a few months ago. Problem was that the actual hooks/ends weren't shaped to fit the small diameter of the front springs, so I had to bend the ends into a more of a concave shape in order for them to firmly grasp the springs.

I really didn't like those compressors though, so I bought a cheap 3 ton spring compressor on ebay. It worked better, but it still had it's issues. When compressing the spring, it compressed it into a slightly curved shape and made it very difficult to remove and install the center bolt properly. Didn't take long to find out that it was due to the poor design of the Chinese compressor. A piece of 3/16" sheet metal, a bit of custom fabbing and some welding fixed it. It compresses springs nice and straight now :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And I got them at Princess Auto. The retainers on the other ones look flimsy. If that spring wants to go, it might not hold.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@stickypoop I'm uncertain whether these new Strut Compressors will work on GMT size Springs, but I thought I would pass this along because I have had some particularly unpleasant experiences with the Old Style Individual Strut Compressors slipping off compressed springs explosively. Now even though it has been quite a few years since I've needed to use these devices.... my recent need to have them again prompted me to get this updated version from Harbor-Freight for around $70.00. (see link below to this actual unit being advertised) I have included the HF Factory How-To-Use-The-Product .PDF as an attachment below as well, so you can get the instructions "Straight from the Horses Mouth".

http://www.harborfreight.com/single-action-strut-spring-compressor-43753.html
This Dual Clamping with a Single Machine Thread Screw Design seems to have safety in mind in its overall design as long as the Fine Threads get lathered with enough Moly-D Grease and they are activated in short, controlled bursts. Klowny's video will very nicely show this kind of device in action. I have taken some images just now to pass along for your review. I will be using this device within the next few days on my '93 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 front struts and will take some more images to support whether it works well and safely or not and report back as soon as I can.

Klowny's Long Video:

(Please Ignore his Trademark "Clown Nose" He really does have a decent, solid Skill Set as a mechanic)

PS I see that I need to move the Flat Washer over to the Dual Lock Nut side before I try this out...

Attachments

• DSC04518.jpg
    DSC04518.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04519.jpg
    DSC04519.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04520.jpg
    DSC04520.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04521.jpg
    DSC04521.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04522.jpg
    DSC04522.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04523.jpg
    DSC04523.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC04524.jpg
    DSC04524.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC04525.jpg
    DSC04525.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04526.jpg
    DSC04526.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04527.jpg
    DSC04527.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04528.jpg
    DSC04528.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04529.jpg
    DSC04529.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04530.jpg
    DSC04530.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04532.jpg
    DSC04532.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 43753.pdf
    407.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I haven't used it yet, but, I have that HF spring compressor. The Roadie also used one like that and said the arms bent because the Envoy springs are a lot stronger than most springs. Also, the instructions have a warning against using any air or electric impact wrench with that spring compressor.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I've tried (and still own) one of those clamshell compressors. In my opinion, the front coil springs on our TB's and Envoy's have a small diameter and it makes it difficult to get a proper grip from a clamshell. Once it does have a proper grip, I had to use an impact gun to close it and ran into yet another issue because it didn't want to close enough to install a 2.5" liftmeister spacer. I tried using a 1/2" breaker bar and a vise to hold the compressor, and it snapped my vise in two. If you're going to ask: It was a 6" HF vise...and yes, I know it's cheap.

The clamshell does fit & work great for the rear springs though, but that doesn't matter too much since there really isn't a need to compress them...

If you buy one, do yourself a favor and grease the center stabilizing pin where it comes in contact with the frame. As a reference to your photo's above; Grease the points where the silver pins come in contact with the black frame.
May not seem much now, but you'll see what I'm talking about once it's fully compressing a spring. Those pins can (and DO) bind on the frame and stop the compression altogether.

I will gladly loan-out my clamshell compressor to any locals that want to give it a try. Just come by and pick it up in the 34289 zip code.

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
I ended up ordering the first style in my original post. They've arrived but I haven't had chance to try them on the Envoy yet. I'll update once I do and look forward to your update on the clamshell as well.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks for mentioning the additional Safety Concerns, as I am very keen on not using or recommending the "Specialty Tool"equivalence of "Running Down The Stairs...With Scissors"... which in this case... seems to be a particularly accurate comparison. The one thing that always seems to be missing is whether or not the users coated the worm gears or shafts in Molybdenum Di-Sulphide Grease. I don't ever use any of these kinds of Screw-Shaft Tools without first cleaning the threads and then ladling on that stuff because I don't want to spend any more time working with a loaded grenade in my hands then I have to. I like Klowny's video... but using WD-40 in such a high compression circumstance as this... is like using SPF 10 when standing on the surface of the Sun.

These damned tools all scare the Hell out of me. One of these days... I am going to have to use my "Mad Inventor Skills" and dope out a design that will work safely and completely cage and contain the springs should they decide to misbehave. @stickypoop ... when your compressors come in and you start working with them...would you mind shooting a few snaps with either a tape measure or a One Foot Ruler and post back how things went? Without some measuring reference nearby... I can never tell how Big or Small these things are.

@Wooluf1952 ... I wonder if TWO of the Scissor Compressors would fit and work in the situation you mentioned.... Hmmm... My mind is working on this now... and it won't stop until I come up with an idea that lets me "Build a Better Mousetrap".

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks @stickypoop ...Outstanding... I think I can see how very robust the Curved, Buttressed Contact Pads are on your device(s). I would still encourage lathering their screw-bolt threads with Gobs of High Pressure Moly-D Grease... No sense in making the "Inclined Plane" work harder than it has to and get the job done safely. When the pressures of resistance in the use of this device approach 200,000 PSI... Motor Oil is a Mooncast Shadow compared with the lubricity of a billion micronized moly metal ball bearings hidden in the grease.

This is an Excellent Technical White Paper on the subject of Molybdenum-Di-Sulphide Lubricants:

http://www.nlgi-india.org/images/PDF/Yakov Ephsteyn.pdf

EDIT:
One Last Suggestion I can make would be to find some plastic sleeves to slide over the threaded rods so that none of the ULTRA-SLICK lubrication gets accidentally transferred onto any areas on the surface of the Coiled Springs...as the Curved Pads might make contact with those slippery areas...and suddenly break loose or spring loose and injure you. You could try using Saran Wrap by loosely winding the stuff around the threaded shafts in advance of placement... and that would also help to keep your hands from getting slippery as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickypoop

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
... My mind is working on this now... and it won't stop until I come up with an idea that lets me "Build a Better Mousetrap".

Me too. I have an actual 3 ton compressor that works, but I'd still like to create/build my own just for shits-'n-giggles. And I'd like to build one that I can anchor to a concrete wall.

I'll draw up a design one day and get going. So far, I plan on using 2" ID square steel tubing as a base and maybe using 2" OD square steel tubing to slide inside of it. I'd also like to make it with the use of a bottle jack.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
*This is not my photo*, but this is the reason I do not trust those dual bolt compressors that you can buy or rent at auto stores. They're very unpredictable!

Attachments

• Spring Compressor.jpg
    Spring Compressor.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 65

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
*This is not my photo*, but this is the reason I do not trust those dual bolt compressors that you can buy or rent at auto stores. They're very unpredictable!
Jesus Wept... This image so dramatically tells the entire Horror Story at a Glance.... and it says a lot more too, about being incompetent with equipment and having no understanding about the physics of things. If a person has an incomplete understanding of what they are about to do... it never "hurts" to take a step back from what they are about to try and THINK and IMAGINE and CONSIDER all the things that will probably go wrong... BEFORE they proceed. Very few people actually sit down and document, or draw out...or "White Board"... Simple, Thoughtful ... PLANS.

Sometimes ... I get credit for being a Lot Smarter than I really am... But with my access to Weapons against Personal Ignorance and Stupidity, I can have no excuse... and I will find no refuge behind the expression, "Well... I just didn't know!" The Big Three Helpers that are always available to each and every one of us are freely and readily accessible now in this day and Age of Information:

(1) The Internet (Google)
(2) The Internet (Wikipedia)
(3) The Internet (Forums...Forums... Endless Forums
!)

If people in trouble would realize that by just sitting down at their Dining Room Table...with a Hot Cup of Coffee... a Fresh Collegiate Notepad... some Pens and Pencils... their laptops, Cell Phones or Ipads... and ...Open Minds... BEFORE dashing pell-mell out into the garage or their front yards, randomly tearing into mechanical failures and instead... slow down...and arrive at the right conclusions with thoughtful plans... Their lives would become so much easier.

A perfect example of someone who lives every moment of his life in this very way... Is @MAY03LT ... When you watch his videos... You can see and feel and appreciate the very wheels turning inside his Skilled, Problem Solving Brain. He would be the Proto-Typical Problem Solving Man to emulate, model and follow... before doing something as irrational and obviously dangerous as the Blood on the Floor of the Garage Photo so eloquently displays.

Attachments

• INTERNALDESIGNCOILCOMPRESSOR.jpg
    INTERNALDESIGNCOILCOMPRESSOR.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 15

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
From the look of that it seems one compressor was getting and advantage over the other... it's cranked down quite far in comparison. Certainly demonstrates that attentiveness and "slow and steady" is so important with this tool.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
From the look of that it seems one compressor was getting and advantage over the other... it's cranked down quite far in comparison. Certainly demonstrates that attentiveness and "slow and steady" is so important with this tool.

Alternatively... perhaps he tried one compressor and when that was either too difficult or reluctant to turn... he might have installed the second one as an assist... and then... BANG! But your first observation is more likely...because the helical winds would also have guided the second one further down the spring coil.... it would all depend on whether the second one was tightened to the same length as the first... Nonetheless...it reveals the first weakness in its flawed design... making the user have to take action and be at two places at the same time. One thing is probably certain though... if the injured party survived to learn from his dreadful mistake... he'll never use a tool like this one ever again.

Last edited:

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I learned my lesson many years ago when I was 19 years old and lived in Philly. I had a 1973 Mustang and wanted to remove the front coil springs so I could replace the upper control arms. I put two cheap-o chains around the compressed springs, then jacked up the front. Thankfully, it was the middle of winter and I was wearing a few shirts and a heavy jacket because the chains snapped. The spring then popped out and hit me dead-center in the chest. I thought it broke ribs, but turned out I was lucky and got away with bruising and a few days of soreness.
...I'm also thankful that it didn't hit my precious face :raspberry:

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Got a chance to use my compressors to install my RC kit today... they worked great and didn't give me a reason to be nervous to use them at all. Very slight deflection in the threaded rod towards the height of compression but nothing to worry about (and nothing near what I've seen in other's photos). I'd rather see something have some "give" then to be so brittle it just snaps.

It's a tool to be respected but not feared.

General rule, if you have reason to be scared of a tool you should never use it. If you're doing something high risk always have someone near by that knows what you're doing and to keep check. If you get injured you don't want to be stumbling around trying to find help, if you even can.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I have the top one that sticky posted. Got it for 30$ and change at Princess Auto a few years back. I took my time using it and it worked great. I too added some grease to the threads.

I did not use it with an impact, just hand bombing with a ratchet.

88Ironduke_1

Oct 24, 2014

I ran into issues before with these compressors as well. While not nearly as bad, nor with the blood on the floor (I'm thinking natural selection at work)... I may actually be on the few guys who upgraded from two compressors to three for most jobs. They still fit but spreading the load out has resulted in a much more uniformly or straighter compressed spring. The load on each compressor is then spread out around the spring instead laterally 180' from each other. Haven't done Envoy springs yet so we will see if they really are tougher critters than others.

Paul

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I ran into issues before with these compressors as well. While not nearly as bad, nor with the blood on the floor (I'm thinking natural selection at work)... I may actually be on the few guys who upgraded from two compressors to three for most jobs. They still fit but spreading the load out has resulted in a much more uniformly or straighter compressed spring. The load on each compressor is then spread out around the spring instead laterally 180' from each other. Haven't done Envoy springs yet so we will see if they really are tougher critters than others.

Paul
3 Xs 120 Degrees apart?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Okay... At 3 AM... and I woke up with this Safety Fix in my mind for the Scissor Coil Spring Compressor that owners might want to consider using. Instead of working a new 10 MM X 110 MM Bolt/Nut/Cotter-Key Combo... I drilled out...in two careful stages...two small holes into the shaft of the Through-Bolt and then used Summit Engine Stand Washers as Spacers and slipped in a length of Spring Steel Wire, bent in such a way that it holds the washers in place and prevents the Through-Bolt from moving more than a fraction in and out... and should the outer "Half-Moon"Clips pop off again... it will not make any difference... that Bolt will NOT ever come loose again!

Attachments

• DSC05297_copy.jpg
    DSC05297_copy.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC05298_copy.jpg
    DSC05298_copy.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC05305_copy.jpg
    DSC05305_copy.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC05307_copy.jpg
    DSC05307_copy.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC05308_copy.jpg
    DSC05308_copy.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC05309_copy.jpg
    DSC05309_copy.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC05310_copy.jpg
    DSC05310_copy.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC05311_copy.jpg
    DSC05311_copy.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC05312_copy.jpg
    DSC05312_copy.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC05313_copy.jpg
    DSC05313_copy.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

I just wanted to add that when I was using the Scissor-Type Coil Compressor... I had very little problem GRADUALLY tightening and/or loosening the Black Moly-D Coated Center-Bolt... even as the resistance of the action increased with each turn... because I have a set of Extra LONG SAE Box End Wrenches from Harbor-Freight. I used the 15/16" Size Wrench here... but a Metric 22-24 MM Wrench would work as well.

I did NOT require locking the setup in a Vise, as I have my work table arranged at a good height and no additional "Leverage Persuaders" were required. I over-greased the Bolt so that it would not bind... and it functioned very smoothly. It really did not take very long and I even paused often to look over the "hooks" to ensure they were not going to slip... and the job was finished in less than Five Minutes.

JUST AS YOU SAID: "BETTER SLOW AND STEADY...THAN QUICK AND DEAD!"
image_17121.jpg

image_23282.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Since people will continue to be concerned about how important it is to Install and Use Strut Spring Compressors from time to time... Watch what happens to THIS Strut as it undergoes an "Unscheduled Dis-Assembly" to illustrate just how much Kinetic Energy these Springs contain. They ALWAYS deserve being "Handled With Care" to avoid Injury or Death:

...and again at 1:12 in this Video...Two at a Time!

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
From Time to Time… Some Threads (like THIS One) deserve to be Dusted Off and Shown over and over again, just to remind us of problems that can sometimes catch us all unawares ...and Maim or Kill the Unsuspecting.

Here we can see that Eric The Car Guy’s Mechanical “Spider Sense” is warning him that he is facing the imminent danger of the Catastrophic Failure of a Brand New Heavy Duty Coil Spring Compressor Tool:

The Lead-In to the Action starts right around 21:00 Minutes into this lengthy ETCG Video:

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No need to necro threads over and over.

Locked.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member