Strong fuel smell, can't find leak?

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Every time I shut off the trailblazer and get out of the car I can smell gas. I have looked around the fuel filter, and all the lines. I can't find anything that looks to be leaking, but the smell is the strongest right around the fuel filter. It just recently started doing this. I think the evap canister is right beside the fuel filter......I think that is what it is called? Anyways could that be causing the smell. On a side note within the last 2-3 weeks my gas cap stopped clicking when I tighten it. No check engine light has came on for it, but is it possible that has something to do with it? Any help would be great Thanks.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would swap the gas cap and see if it goes away.

Reactions: djthumper

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'd check the fuel pressure regulator as well.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Gas cap and regulator. Also depending on age, the top of the fuel pump could be seeping slightly too....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check around filler hose too. Some early EXT's suffered from broken tanks at that point.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I went to autozone, and told them the gas cap I bought a few months ago quit clicking and I didn't think it was sealing. The guy told me there was no warranty on the non acdelco caps. He was really nice and traded it out for free. I put it on, and haven't smelled fuel since. I also reached up, and felt and the vents felt good....no breaks. So I am gonna continue to drive it and if I smell gas again I'll check the other things you guys mentioned. Thanks for the help.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Woo Hoo...Sounds like i nailed that one! Honestly hope it works out that it was that simple. Good Luck!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls