street sweeper build.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Firstly, sorry if posting in wrong area. I figured I would post a build thread and get some feedback. I have an 03 ls tb 4.2 with 168xxx. I started off with visual mods such as the underflow in the grill and windshield. Blue sparkle vinyl on the grill bowtie,debadging the rear, and some accent lighting on the inside. I added a 6.2" HD DVD head unit in dash and dual Sony xplod 10's. Next I did the quad high headlight mod and added some street sweeper lights in the front fender wells. I removed exhaust at the flange right around the front door(just in front of muffler) and 90d it out the pass side. The dump sits right under the b pillar and looks alright. It is just in the mock up stage right now and I will soon notch the frame so the tip sits tighter to the rockers. After that I am planning on adding a y and dumping in same spot on drivers side. After exhaust is done, my next project will be the passlock bypass mod so I can add a toggle switch ignition. For that I will be building an overhead console to house all the switches for ignition as well as for quads,street sweepers,interior and exterior accent lighting, as well as the light bar I will be flush mounting in the bumper when I get around to making it(can you tell I like lights yet?). I also am looking at getting an aux tranny cooler and CAI. Any recommendations on brand/series would be great. I was looking at b&m supercooled last night which is plate style an measures 11x7x1.5 with mounting bracket installed. Probably mount behind grill like everyone else. I will be posting pics/updates as I go but please be patient as it will be slow going.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That exhaust has to be brutal...the inline without muffler is awful.

Dont waste money on a CAI as it does nothing. You can add a good filter and gut the stock box for just as much change.

Any basic trans cooler is fine. I think I have a Hayden that was about $50 and it has worked well for years. Trans stays about 30 degrees below motor temp.

Lighting and stereo stuff sound like many of us have done and there is a ton of info on here about both. Lots of LED stuff for sure.

Good luck and remember we all like pictures!

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
For sure on the pics. And I just posted for idk why really. Nothing really special with the audio but figured I'd put down anyway. Does anyone know of a place I can get rims? Anytime I try to find our bp it just reverts to Silverado bp. I may go the route you mentioned with the intake. Just remove the silencer an run some nice pipe to the box

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Alright thanks. Oh and to the comment about the exhaust, it doesn't sound too bad too me. Got lots of "pop" to it when I get on it. It sounded horrible when I put a glasspack on it. Like a Honda with one of those fart cans on a bad day.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a 3" stainless with a Magnaflow and it sounds like an oversized ricer. I'm even thinking of going back to stock but the 3" will go in the Saab with its 5.3 :biggrin:

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I'm not a fan of open exhaust on anything less than a V8. Everything with 6 cyl and 4 cyl with open exhaust sounds like it's got asthma.

Unless you are towing more than 2k -3k lbs, an auxiliary trans cooler is a waste of money and effort. I didn't put one on my TB when I was towing a 3500# travel trailer, later when I got a bigger 4800# trailer then I put one on.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Yeah I'm not happy with the sound but it's not to bad to me. And the trans cooler is more precautionary and for about $50, I'm fine with it being unneccesary. I do hard pulls when I do race and rather have peace of mind.

Oh and I do tow a bit. I help some family as they clean houses out but don't have anything to haul the trash/removed building materials so I haul it off. Not to heavy just a 16 utility trailer. I'd figure around 2500 fully loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Figure I dpost an update. Just finished swapping my motor with a 4.2 out of an 04 after I shattered a rod. Got er all buttoned up and running. Will add pics of everything tomorrow as far as damage. I added some red sparkle vinyl to my grill bar to wrap around the blue sparkle on the emblem. I got some pics of that and the sweepers.

Attachments

• IMG_20160911_113400.jpg
    IMG_20160911_113400.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20160821_221831.jpg
    IMG_20160821_221831.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 14

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
So much hate for the straight! IMO a straight 6 sounds unique and awesome, even ours. Especially wrung right the fuck out. Why everybody wants to sound like a V8 is beyond me. Check out some sweet inliners like a BMW M3, a Nissan R32/33/34 GTR, a Toyota Supra or anything that TVR put an inline engine into for some aural sex.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I really liked my Hooker Aerochamber. Had sort of an Indy car sound to it. My 3 inch Magnaflow is much deeper, but quieter overall even with just a dump right off the muffler.

anthonyl79

Jul 15, 2012
Colorado
Yeah I'm not happy with the sound but it's not to bad to me. And the trans cooler is more precautionary and for about $50, I'm fine with it being unneccesary. I do hard pulls when I do race and rather have peace of mind.

Oh and I do tow a bit. I help some family as they clean houses out but don't have anything to haul the trash/removed building materials so I haul it off. Not to heavy just a 16 utility trailer. I'd figure around 2500 fully loaded.

I had the i6 with a knock off flowmaster muffler with 3" out, I liked the sound it put out, I am running that same muffler on the new 5.3 motor, and it sounds AWESOME. Just need to get the front have of the exhaust redone with the CATS deleted and sound even better I hope.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Yeah I wish it was a little deaper. I like the sound that a lot of the mustangs make but I know I'll never hit it. I was thinking about doing a dual intake. Just 90 it up from the tb and then t it off to the sides and around the fenders. Im running no hood for right now and have the intake out in the open(no box). That alone has made a world of difference in acceleration, especially when I prop it up and the air is running right in it. Anybody know what that hole in the intake pipe is? Just like a bypass for when filter is clogged or what? I just made a cap out if electrical tape and set it on fire for about 2 secs to harden it where it can't get sucked or fall in.

Attachments

• IMG_20161120_154529.jpg
    IMG_20161120_154529.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 17

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Anybody know what that hole in the intake pipe is? Just like a bypass for when filter is clogged or what?

If you look at the underside of the stock air box cover, you'll see a corresponding hole, and 2 chambers. This is part of the intake resonator system. The other part is the resonator that would sit on top of the spark plugs. Removing those 2 items will give you a change in the tone, as many of us have done with our own custom intake setups.

Good thing you covered that up, otherwise you might as well not run an air filter at all :crazy:

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Yup I really didn't see a point to it but now I do. Also, how did you go about the lines that connect to the silencer on top of valve cover? Did you replumb them to your new set up or plug them or just vent to atmosphere? Iirc, the large tube cannot be just capped correct?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
My EXT didn't have that line that connects to the driver's side of the intake resonator. Not sure what others have done with it.

Some have used a small filter on the port below the resonator (wish I had thought of that) I used a length of tubing to run back to my intake tube. I used silicone tubing for mine, and gutted the air box.

IntakeInstalled.jpg

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
I just pulled the silencer off and hooked my intake pipe there. Then I ran the pcv vent hose into the hole in the pipe. I've got it taped around until I can get some more fiberglass mat to make a cap with a nipple for it. Just for looks really. My filter is sitting between the dip stick and the valve cover. I need to get a better looking filter for it now.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Anybody done a dual exhaust on this thing? I'm wanting to do a dual side dumped that matches my pass side(dumped at b pillar) but not sure where a good place to cross would be. Looks like maybe after the tailshaft of the tranny but not sure. I'll have to compress the suspension to make sure the driveshaft won't hit. Looks like time to break out the bender!!!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
No one's done a B pillar dump before you did, let alone in a dual setup. The couple of dual exhaust setups on the I6 that I've seen, were either straight out the back, or dumped behind the rear wheels.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
O OK WOOHOO IM A TRAILBALZER!!!(Pun totally intended). Looks like I'm either going to have to delete cats and run a y pipe under bell housing, then down the outside of frame, or move/delete vapor can and run directly through the frame. Otherwise I would be only a couple inches away from the fuel tank and I don't like that. I've had my pass side mocked up for a while now with slip to get here just to make sure its not where someone is easily burned getting in or out and have had no problems with it. I guess I need to get around to making a one piece exhaust the right way instead of cheap O'Reillys pieces(again, this was just to check clearances and such). I will let y'all know what comes about with that, may be after the holidays unless I can get a fair amount of time in the shop. Also been thinking about trying to make a set of headers for it. I hate the look of the manifold i t has on it now. I think a nice set of long tubes would look badass

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I dumped about halfway between b and c but it hides up above frame so it doesn't get smooshed on rocks. I would like to see how you do end up running it!

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Thanks. Imma have to notch the fame so it sits tighter to the rockers. It may be on hold for a bit as I'm working with a new resto company on partnering my business for painting.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.