Strange Electrical Problem.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
So my steering wheel button for Fuel Mileage, Range, Tripometers etc stopped working. The lights work on it, but it doesn’t change the info on the DIC. Thinking (hoping) it was the button I replaced it, no joy.

I checked for loose wires and connectios, etc it found nothing and nothing fixed it.

Then magically it started working out of the blue. Cool. Then it stopped, then worked, etc Unable to find a loose connection or broken wire, I’m stumped at the cause if this intermittent problem.

So then just by chance I discovered that if I hold the button on the SW down and dim the dash lights completely, when I turned the dimmer back up, the SW switch worked. So to cycle through all of the settings, I have to hold the SW button down and keep dimming and undimming the dash/gauge lights.

The other buttons on the SW work normally.

So does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this? It’s weird. I’ve looked at the wiring diagrams like I know wtf I’m doing but I still can’t find a logical reason why the dimming sequence would enable the SE button to work.

The intermittent condition seems to have since stopped. It just never works now unless and until I do the dimmer dance.

On a side note and probably unrelated, my high beam lever, will turn on both high beams when I pull the lever to just flash them (momentary mode?), but if I push the lever forward to enable the high beams, only one high beam works. The low beams both work the way they should when activating the high beams either temporarily or when I push the lever forward to have them stay on. I hope I’m describing this so it makes sense.
Thank you

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sounds like the clock spring could be loosing connection...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online