Straight 6 vs v8 trailblazer EXT

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
What's the advantage of having a v8 in a trailblazer ext over a inline 6 in the same trailblazer ext ?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Almost everything is superior in the V8 including better MPG.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
the roadie said:

Than why did GM stick a straight six in a ext when they could have stuck with the v8 ? Is the straight six cheaper ?... i see some members have the ext v8.

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:

I just pissed my pants. Funny!!!!:rotfl:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Busterbrown said:
I just pissed my pants. Funny!!!!:rotfl:

Oh gee do i feel stupid ! I thought he was being serious...:sadcry:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Ghost said:
Than why did GM stick a straight six in a ext when they could have stuck with the v8 ? Is the straight six cheaper ?... i see some members have the ext v8.

The straight 6 configuration inherently balances out almost perfectly,probably why Europe has had a love affair with them for so long also they create more torque than say a V6
Perhaps GM wanted to appeal to that crowd and appear more trendy(couldn't have been for CAFE reasons).Luckily for me they didn't want to forget the V8 guys and gave us some choices:thumbsup:..Mike..

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The I6 still had the most power in its SUV class. The V8 wasn't ready at launch time in 2002, but the EXT was. So the first year had only I6. Then in 2003, the V8 became available, but why would GM reduce the number of options they had already designed in? EXT/XL production ended in 2006.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
the roadie said:
The I6 still had the most power in its SUV class. The V8 wasn't ready at launch time in 2002, but the EXT was. So the first year had only I6. Then in 2003, the V8 became available, but why would GM reduce the number of options they had already designed in? EXT/XL production ended in 2006.
Learn something new everyday thanks Roadie
I know there's torque with an I6, just feel like I'm missing out on v8 power.:cool:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
the roadie said:
Given your response in the tire pressure thread, you should have gotten an SS and not a "huge family plus the dogs" EXT. I don't get it. :confused:

I was kidding about driving so fast i slide LOL! But seriously i got a smoking deal on this tb ext btw ill be done paying it off in 3 more payments of $150
Its an 03 ext that had only 30k baby miles no accidents minty condition.
Sure if i had wads of cash to spend I'd go buy a tbSS with a V8 and two turbos and rice cooker on its rear end.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
TbSS's in general are not all that expensive. Depending on mileage u can pick one up for $12k give or take. Just sayin........

Reactions: limequat

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:
I know there's torque with an I6, just feel like I'm missing out on v8 power.:cool:

You are but hey you can throw a tune in it. The extra torque in the V8 is instantly noticable but where you really notice it is the 55 to 100 mph sprint where the power just doesn't end. 0 to 60 times are very similar (until you hook up a trailer) and a tuned i6 to a stock v8 is a close call at normal people speeds. My buddy has a 2003 EXT with an I6 bought new and he's towed his 24 foot Cobalt boat just fine. When I got my second 360 it was probably a 99:1 ratio of I6's to V8 for the swb and I tried to like the I6 since they were so readily available but couldn't. They all need to wind up at the low end as opposed to instantaneous torque since I tow heavy boats. On paper the small torque increase translates to easier towing in the real world and that little bit extra when it isn't just a luxury.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
TbSS's in general are not all that expensive. Depending on mileage u can pick one up for $12k give or take. Just sayin........

Yep, and you can sometimes find a 9-7x Aero for even cheaper than that. To paraphrase a Car&driver review, the 9-7x may not be the best SAAB, but it is the best GMT360.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I never figured you for a necroposter, Jeremy. :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR