Storing a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD for a friend.....Which relay or fuse should I pull to keep it from starting.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
A friend of mine is storing his truck at my place for awhile while he out of town working. Chevy 2500 HD's are a commonly stolen item in our area. It will be parked off of the street in my yard but I can't watch it all the time. What is the best fuse or relay to slow down the thieves and prevent it from starting? It will have a club type anti theft mechanism as well.....Thanks for any info.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
One of the ignition fuses is for the injectors. I've pulled the starters on vehicles that are sitting for a while. On the 00-07 trucks it's pretty easy but a lot of effort for a couple weeks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All the above are good. You could also pull the battery. How many thieves carry around a spare battery? However, just pulling the fuel pump relay and fuse will make them think the truck is a dud because it will crank but not start. If you really want to be sneaky, you could put in an old relay and bend a pin in case they check to see if it's there.

A mechanical preventive would be to remove the drive shaft. Won't move even if it starts.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Pull the battery, take it inside, and put it on a charger, if you have one.
The fuel pump relay is also good, but why have the thieves continuously crank the starter?
If they're on the midnight shift, maybe the cranking would wake you up, so there's that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR